Thread: The future of IDW Transformers (season 3) from James Roberts

Default The future of IDW Transformers (season 3) from James Roberts

It looks like the writer James Roberts has taken to twitter to give us some details of the transition from "season 2" (ending at Issue 57 of both comics in September), to "season 3" (a new numbering with a single ongoing comic in October).

The change from two ongoing comics to one with new numbering isn't news, as it came out of the recent news about Hasbro's plans with their shared universe from next year... but we get some extra details and reassurances from one of the IDW creative team that it isn't ending.

The tweets have been compiled and quoted here.

After Dying of the Light, which finishes next issue (#55), there’s a two-part story that ties into the Titans Return crossover.

The Titans Return one-shot, out next month, is by @MairghreadScott, @TheJohnBarber and me. It feeds into exRiD 56 and 57 and MTMTE 56 and 57

MTMTE #56 + #57, set on Luna 1, star Red Alert, Max… and Prowl. We’ve come full circle: he was there at the start, he’s there at the end.

Because MTMTE #57 is the last issue of the series in its current form. But wait! The *story* doesn’t end. Season 3 kicks off in the autumn.

There will be a new #1. It will be a jumping on point, but it will also be a thumping great CONTINUATION. I went there. CAPS LOCK, baby.

Some people have said they’ll walk away after #57, to which I’d say… please, don’t do that. If you do that, you’ll never know how it ends.

Maybe, instead of walking away, you can badger your MTMTE-resistant friends – get ’em to jump on board. Because we’re not done, okay?

I’ve just had a look at some of your reactions. Lots of questions! I can’t answer them all. Um, let’s have another look…

Let’s put it this way. There’s always been a plan with MTMTE. A beginning, middle and end. We’re still on track.

When #1 hits, Season 3 will begin, and continue, as it would have done had the old numbering continued.

There’s a possibility we can revert to the old numbering for the last issue, whenever that is. Not my call, but the Big 2 do it all the time

And unless they’re keeping a secret, none of Team MTMTE are planning to do a runner.

I feel really supported by IDW, who know that MTMTE has a special place in people’s hearts. There’s no desire to tamper with the formula.

You’ll notice I’ve avoided all reference to what actually *happens* in Season 3. That’s because we’re not done with Season 2 yet. Patience!

If the renumbering bothers you, I get it. It matters more to some than others. Hey, I’m the one who made a big thing about reaching #100.

But take heart that we’re still here! Nearly five years and counting. That doesn’t happen much any more, whatever number’s on the cover.

And if I have my way, years down the line, EVERY issue will be gathered together in one huge, 2000 page hardcover omnibus.

Last thing for the moment. There’s a little surprise for you between now and #1. Wait a few weeks and you’ll hear.

I’m so pleased TDOTL has gone down well so far. The last part has it all, as they say.

I’ll say it nearer the time, but if you hate spoilers, don’t even look at the previews. Go in stone cold.

Just hope this isnt part of the new shared verse as in they suddenley expect me to care about other franchises (nope, not even GI Joe) I will walk away with no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    Just hope this isnt part of the new shared verse as in they suddenley expect me to care about other franchises (nope, not even GI Joe) I will walk away with no regrets.
    I think the ties will be more TRANSFORMERS, TAAO maybe to a lesser extent MTMTE. Unless the organics in those pods are dire wraiths from ROM...

Something related to the next year/season - Editor changes at IDW, with John Barber leaving, and Sarah Gaydos filling his Group Editor Role, while Denton Tipton will fill the Senior Editor role (probably Sarah's previous role, so a bit of shuffling up of the hierarchy).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Something related to the next year/season - Editor changes at IDW, with John Barber leaving, and Sarah Gaydos filling his Group Editor Role, while Denton Tipton will fill the Senior Editor role (probably Sarah's previous role, so a bit of shuffling up of the hierarchy).
    Barber is a big loss editing wise, he did some sensational weaving and patching of the continuity, even managed to make AHM make some sense with what came before and after, and Dark Cybertron was a clever, if poorly executed way of tying up the loose ends of the ores from the "-ations" series.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)