Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod to remove Onslaught knee ratchet (possibly applicable to other figures)

Default Mod to remove Onslaught knee ratchet (possibly applicable to other figures)

My first Onslaught's legs didn't really hold together very well (the gray changes wouldn't stay put). I got another to see if it was a design or QC issue. Surprise, surprise, it's a bit of a QC issue. Between the two Onslaughts, I was able to put together one solid one. However, during the surgery, I noticed something pretty neat...

Firstly, I'm finding a lot of the recent leg ratcheting to be a bit annoying. Because thighs and knees can only move specific distances and not in between, finding a delicate pose can prove to be tricky. Some recent offenders include:

Universe Powerglide
    Universe Silverbolt
    Leader Megatron
    Leader Bulkhead

So, back to Onslaught, while swapping his leg, I found by flipping a ratcheted washer over, I was able to get rid of the knee ratcheting, but still maintain a very tight joint making posing much easier.

Remove these two screws first:

You'll see the exposed ratchet-washer, gear side up:

Flip it over:

Put him back together and that's it!

I'm going to have a peak into some of the other figures I mentioned to see if it's as accessible.

Just did this to Animated Leader Megatron's knee and the thigh joint that spreads his legs outward. Great improvement as he doesn't look like he's busting for a p1ss anymore.

Gonna test on Onslaught now. Pics for Megatron please jay? Pretty please?

Sure. Here's a couple:

I feel much better after that p*ss.

I said rock, m*thaf*cka!

I tried this with Powerglide and due to some confusion between two ratchet springs, I had a nightmare time putting him back together... stripped a few ratchet gears.

Regardless, he was just way too top heavy to be able to cope without the ratchets. I find that the rotator cuff right under his thigh is the biggest nuisance to getting stability with him. Perhaps mine is just extra loose?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Sure. Here's a couple:

I feel much better after that p*ss.

I said rock, m*thaf*cka!
    Wow nice! I'm not happy with the limited positions of Magnus' hip joints. Worth trying too.

love those poses.

i was just looking at my Megs did you just take out the spring and the little lug piece for the extra possibility??

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    i was just looking at my Megs did you just take out the spring and the little lug piece for the extra possibility??
    I took these out:

ok cool i wasnt sure and then one popped out into the abyss of my room to be never been seen again