Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macross Frontier

Default Macross Frontier

Watched Macross Frontier ep 1 a few days back, very nice. .So I thought I'd start a thread about it.

As Goktimus has said elsewhere, it has a lot of similarities with the original Macross, but I think it also has bits of all the old Macross's

The Colony ship is reminiscent of the Macross 7, as are the Nightmare Valkyries, Sheryl's concert was similar to one of Sharon Apple's, her name Sheryl Norm also seems to allude to me to Sharon Apple and Sara Gnome. And in one of the scenes where the protagonist was flying around the background music used reminded me of Macross Plus.

The new Valkyrie VF 25 is pretty cool, but not as original as some I feel. The design has bits of a whole bunch of past Valkyries, but overall it's not that different to what we've seen before, but I guess they wanted something a bit more classic looking.

I would have also liked to see one of the Nightmares transform, I suspect they may not be animated to transform though, all the budget probably went into the VF 25 and the new badguys. Future episodes may change this, but it frustrates me, because I tried to build a Nightmare in 3D, but I found there was no way to reconcile the different proportions of the Battaroid and fighter modes without squashing and stretching. Sure the Bandai toy uses the proper transformation, but look at how fat it is in fighter mode. Anyways I'd like to see one transform in 3D so i can see how they got around this.

I also wonder why there’s no VF 19, the Vf 19 was supposed to be the next main transforming fighter so I thought they would have implemented them by the time of Macross Frontier, but apparently not. While I'm sure there are several reasons why they use the VF 17 as their standard fighter, it would be nice to see a 19 or indeed any other classic Macross Valkyries show up.

Good to see the Ghost Is still a part of the Macross arsenal, as well as what appears to be the Macross 25. Will it transform (in fulls 3d) I wonder?

The new enemy looks pretty good to, nice and different from previous enemies, not as silly looking as the Protodevlin, or as unimaginative as the Marduk.

Lastly, I always find it funny, that although the Macross series seems to be considered the canon from which all the Macross's are derived, characters and uniforms are always portrayte as they were in the Do you Remeber love Macross Movie.

Well DYRL is the refined version of the origional Macross series so that is what Kawamori prefers to develop. I don't think you will be seeing any references to the Marduk as Kawamori was not invloved with Macross II.

I personally haven't found it very interesting so far tho. Hopefully it will develop more.

I don't think you will be seeing any references to the Marduk as Kawamori was not invloved with Macross II
    Yeah there was an interview where he was quoted as saying "what's Macross II?" plus it doesn't fit into tha Macross time line or canon, and the Steel Angel Valkyrie (or whatever it was called) sucked, didn't mind the standard Valkyrie of the series though.

The original movie and Macross Plus are still my favourtes, but the new series debut seemed like it might have potential.

Hey Zed

i didnt know they had Macross in Soviet Russia

For anyone interested BANDAI showed prototypes for the 1/60 VF-25 at Wonderfest yesterday.

On display are:

A rapid prototype of the 1/60 scale DX VF-25 Super.
    A rapid prototypes of the 1/72 scale VF-25 battroid and fighter mode plastic model kit.

picture

received a board message error...

think you can only view if you register for the forum.

any chance of uploading to somewhere?

Oops... For those who are not registered at MW... :P

thanks tober

is this like a new anime,??? too lazy to look it up
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

It's an ongoing full series that started a few months ago.