Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An article regarding Gobots and Transformers

Default An article regarding Gobots and Transformers

I found something that I thought was kinda funny so decided to post the link here:
    http://rooktopia.wordpress.com/2007/...hat-should-be/

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Interesting points were raised about which ones would be good crossovers. Hmm...
    The only ones I can picture would be Rocklords being used as soccerballs by the Dinobots.

Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    If the children of the 80’s are really, truly honest with themselves, then they would admit both shows had their own qualities.
    The only qualities I see in Gobots over Transformers are:
    1/ The Gobots (as a toyline) came before Transformers. Transformers was created by Hasbro in competition with Tonka's Machine Men.
    2/ Gobot toys were generally cheaper (hence Clerk II referring to Gobots as "K-Mart Transformers").
    3/ Gobots were unafraid to have female characters. Female characters based on toys.

...other than that, Gobots SUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by El Santos
    GOBOTS THAT SHOULD BE TRANSFORMERS

* #6 - PATH FINDER
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    The Guardian Path Finder has a very unique transformation: that of a flying saucer. Transformers easily need more Flying Saucer alt-modes. OK, I know that the Autobots already have Cosmos, but you’ve got to admit Path Finder looks cooler.
    S/he knows about Bug Bite but not Pathfinder?! (o_O)

Gobots suck

i rented a video years ago to see what it was like, 4 eps of total rubbish

Rewatching some Machine Men cartoons recently on YouTube I'm reminded that the show did suck. Really honestly, Wheelie is nothing compared to Scooter. Many of the toys are cool and I have affection for the Crasher toy and character.

Whoever decided that robots that turned into ROCKS was a good idea must have been really out of his mind at the time.

Of course, there is a reason why they never survived the 80s, and that reason is THIS.

As I grew up in HK, I prefer to call them by their original Japanese name "Machine Robo" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Robo ). They did make a pretty cool cartoon series in Japan in the 80's called "Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine...enge_of_Cronos ). It was a series much much better than what Australia and America were getting. It definitely made the toys much much cooler in the eyes of children in Asia. The main robot of the cartoon series, Baikanfu, appeared in a few of the Super Robot Wars games and was released as a SOC toy around November last year ( http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2134 ).

The more recent modernised series (both cartoons and toys) from only a few years back was called Machine Robo Rescue (MMR) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Robo_Rescue ). It didn't do too bad in Japan and Hong Kong either. It was followed by another series (toys only) called Mugenbine which is still kinda going on.
    Last edited by Kyle; 14th April 2008 at 01:45 PM.

Gobots had a crappy toon, but I have to admit they often had far more interesting alt modes than TF's. We only got the first TF submarine a few years ago but the Gobots already had one. And they still have the only realistic looking A10 changing robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Gobots had a crappy toon, but I have to admit they often had far more interesting alt modes than TF's. We only got the first TF submarine a few years ago but the Gobots already had one. And they still have the only realistic looking A10 changing robot.
    The had a Gobot Limo who transformed into a robot with a top hat! You can't beat that, Transformers need something like that!!

Seriously, I do agree. I am too getting sick to death of the same sports car, Construction vehicle or fighter jet alt mode. Something more unusual and original every now and then would not kill their profits.