Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    21st Nov 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,151

    Default Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

    Or better yet tried it!!

    Looks good.

    http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

    Ps. i apologise if this has been reported before.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    19th Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    524

    Default

    I think it would be an interesting idea for the forum to have a thread where everyone can upload pics of their junk bits.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    28th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    8,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Or better yet tried it!!

    Looks good.

    http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

    Ps. i apologise if this has been reported before.
    Sounds awesome! Who wants to test it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,743

    Default

    what's a H2O2?

  5. #5
    TheDirtyDigger Guest

    Default

    Hydrogen peroxide. You can buy it in the supermarket if you want to go for that sexy blonde look Iceman. Also it's really fun to put on dead skin from a cut.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,743

    Default

    ahhhhhhhh i always colour my hair. :P

  7. #7
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    35,867

    Default

    I'd be worried about what it does long-term to the integrity of the plastic itself. Bleach is pretty harsh stuff, it could well be breaking down the bonds in the plastic, making it brittle or crumble away over time. If it doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic's molecular structure, it'd be a great fix. But if it does weaken the plastic, this 'short term fix' will be the scourge of the second hand market. You'll get dealers cleaning up their toys, get 'Mint' prices, and the toys crumble and break within a year of it being sold.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    28th Dec 2007
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'd be worried about what it does long-term to the integrity of the plastic itself. Bleach is pretty harsh stuff, it could well be breaking down the bonds in the plastic, making it brittle or crumble away over time. If it doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic's molecular structure, it'd be a great fix. But if it does weaken the plastic, this 'short term fix' will be the scourge of the second hand market. You'll get dealers cleaning up their toys, get 'Mint' prices, and the toys crumble and break within a year of it being sold.
    I agree it would need to have the plastic 'thinned' out since a layer of it would have to be removed. Its not just muck that makes it yellow, its the plastic itself that becomes that color so this technique must break down the surface of it.

    Nevertheless it is an awesome alternative (assuming it works) to having a yellowed toy but the bad thing is that once whitened, it will be prone to yellowing regardless and I don't think it will be too healthy to have the same procedure done twice to the same parts.

    I have a couple of junky toys I could try it on, like Dogfight and a junker Galvatron.

    So what should I look for at the Super Market? I know that if I ask the checkout chick, she will have no idea.

  9. #9
    TheDirtyDigger Guest

    Default

    Look for hydrogen peroxide in the health and beauty section. Best bet (and cheapest) is actually to go to the chemists. Chemists are also a lot more helpful than supermarket staff in general.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    28th Dec 2007
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    14,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Look for hydrogen peroxide in the health and beauty section. Best bet (and cheapest) is actually to go to the chemists. Chemists are also a lot more helpful than supermarket staff in general.
    Would it be called Hydrogen Peroxide in the Beauty and Health Section or would it go by some brand name? Also what's it used for? I know women do crazy things to their skin and hair but acid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •