PDA

View Full Version : Comic book thread ON!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Gutsman Heavy
2nd March 2014, 04:34 PM
I'm not a DC buyer, but I read the books the library gets in. That said I've barely read anything New-52. So I can't comment. But someone else might?

I dropped Bats/Soup after the first arc, arc 1 was great, massive drop off after though.

Paulbot
28th April 2014, 02:00 PM
Recently read the 2nd and 3rd trades of Waid's Daredevil run. Quite a change from the Bendis/Brubaker stuff, but really quite good. I'm also making my way through a set of Justice League International trades (as it's a MTMTE influence I wanted to check it out). They are an interesting take on a superhero team book, but a bit dated.

I also took advantage of a recent sale to buy most of Superior Spider-Man and the first six of Superior Foes of Spider-Man, both books that I've enjoyed from previews/sample pages. Ive got them to read on an upcoming holiday.

However I'm going to be more cautious with impulse buys with the recent change to Comixology. First the prices went up (Apple adjusting all app stores purchases to current currency conversions) and now in-app (iTunes credit) purchases are gradually being removed.

I'll use the $5 voucher they sent me (be sure to check your email for one too) but it's a bit annoying to have to go to an online store when inapp purchases were so easy. And what do I do with my excess iTunes credit? Thanks Amazon.com...

BruiseLee
29th April 2014, 09:44 PM
Was thinking about picking up the Superior Spiderman series when it went on sale but still can't bring myself to read it after what they did to Peter. Will say no more in case of spoilers. Have heard good things about it though so maybe the next time it goes on sale...

Not a fan of what Comixology did to their app. iTunes cards though can still be used on the marvel, dc, dark horse or transformers app. These were developed by Comixology though (except dark horse) so hopefully they don't change as well as I'm still sitting on a few iTunes cards I got at the last 20% off sale...

Sharky
30th April 2014, 10:30 AM
What Comixology has done is a massive step backwards and i am not a fan of it at all, i guess i will be switching back to the Publisher apps but its been a big disapointment for me I can see Comixology not supporting the publisher apps for much longer.

i liked the ease of getting an itunes card and just browsing the app and picking something that looked interesting.. no credit card info no address just click buy.... alot of books i purchased where impulse buys, i wont want to do that through the website as it feels like a longer process and then you need to go back to the app and download it anyway.......

Superior SM was supprisingly a good read, back to Peter and Amazing SM now tho which is good too

BigTransformerTrev
6th June 2014, 10:51 AM
I just got a compendium of the reboot of the Power Girl comics. Not bad storylines, though after a while you get sick of the guys-hitting-on-her jokes. And her tearfully explaining to Superman the deeper reasoning behind the giant hole in her costume over her cleavage was just so tacked in. No Power Girl - it's not because you realised you are not Supermans real cousin and are leaving that spot blank as a sign that you have yet to fill the gap left in your life - it's because comic book nerds like to look at big boobs (though I did use that panel to try and jusitfy her dress sense to my wife - she didn't fall for it :p)

Also got the Deadpool Omnibus - 1160 pages contaning his first comics from when they started in 97 and then a bunch of later stuff. It's really nice to see that earlier stuff and see the development of the character but I gotta admit, I do miss the later stuff. Sure later on he takes on an almost Looney Tunes like demeanour but I kinda like that, and I miss the two voices in his head that he chats to that wern't there in the early stuff. I've still got a hell of a way to get through the 1160 pages though so they may still show up :D

Fungal Infection
21st July 2014, 09:57 PM
I was having a discussion with a work colleague as to who the most powerful superhero is, regardless of universe. The discussion turned to Superman vs Thor, Hulk vs Superman, and at one point even Hulk vs Spiderman (!!!). So, lets hear some discussion, who is the most powerful superhero/villain in the comics universe. Take note, this does not include artifacts so Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet cannot be counted, but Green Lantern and his ring can be (since it is his ring which makes him what he is), supreme beings like Galactus and the Celestials are not included, just your typical run-of-mill superhero/villain.

BigTransformerTrev
23rd July 2014, 03:04 PM
I was having a discussion with a work colleague as to who the most powerful superhero is, regardless of universe. The discussion turned to Superman vs Thor, Hulk vs Superman, and at one point even Hulk vs Spiderman (!!!). So, lets hear some discussion, who is the most powerful superhero/villain in the comics universe. Take note, this does not include artifacts so Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet cannot be counted, but Green Lantern and his ring can be (since it is his ring which makes him what he is), supreme beings like Galactus and the Celestials are not included, just your typical run-of-mill superhero/villain.

We did a most powerful superheroes/villians here mate :) : http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=18438

Fungal Infection
23rd July 2014, 09:39 PM
Not enough answers though!! I was hoping for some discussion as to why/how a particular hero/villain is so powerful in their opinion.

Paulbot
23rd July 2014, 09:42 PM
I don't know DC. But Hulk seems to be the top or the line in Marvel. Basically unstoppable, unhurtable and limitlessly strong. Hulk Smash!

Gutsman Heavy
23rd July 2014, 10:41 PM
Golden Age Superman. Unstoppable.

Gouki
24th July 2014, 12:49 AM
Well, if Superior Foes of Spider-Man isn't one of the funniest, highest quality books on the market I'll... I'll... I'll do nothing because I won't tolerate lying, and anyone who holds this view is a liar, good sirs!

Picked up the first trade of Mega Man, too. Great fun. Wish the Robot Masters were that easy to defeat in the games. Possibly a little too fast paced, but I must see more. They're already seeding ongoing plots with mentions of Blues.

BruiseLee
25th July 2014, 02:27 PM
Not enough answers though!! I was hoping for some discussion as to why/how a particular hero/villain is so powerful in their opinion.

Mister Mxyzptlk! Can do anything he puts his mind to but may not be a villian in the true sense as he's usually been written as someone who is out to create mischief so he has never been taken too seriously. He's from the 5th dimension and there's a whole world of these guys so not excluded by the cosmic/godly criteria. His main weakness that's been written in is that he's too gullible beacause how hard is it not to say your name backwards especially when its Kltpzyxm! The Emperor Joker storyline where the Joker stole his powers shows just how powerful this character can be.

CBratron
25th July 2014, 02:50 PM
Not sure if this should've had it's own topic.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/deadpool-arrested-on-sydney-train-police-alerted-to-superhero-armed-with-guns-grenades-and-ninja-swords/story-fni0cx12-1227001404525

BruiseLee
25th July 2014, 03:01 PM
Not sure if this should've had it's own topic.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/deadpool-arrested-on-sydney-train-police-alerted-to-superhero-armed-with-guns-grenades-and-ninja-swords/story-fni0cx12-1227001404525

Were they replica firearms? If yes then add it to the MP5 thread!

BigTransformerTrev
19th September 2014, 11:20 AM
Just finished reading all of Year 1 of Injustice: Gods Among Us (36 issues) and the first 22 issues of Year 2.

Wow - awesome comics! I'll write some of my fave stuff below but hide it in case of Spoilers:

The Joker tricking Superman into killing Lois and his unborn child along as well as blowing up Metropolis - freaking insane! Which is exactly what it does to Superman, he goes nuts and gradually takes over the world! Kills the Joker, kills Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary etc. Robin kills Nightwing. Wonder Woman kills (sorta) Captian Atom. I think my favorite part out of the whole thing is at the end of the first year of comics Alfred taking the super pill that makes everyone almost as strong as Superman and then proceeding to headbutt Superman, breaking Supermans nose - then beating the living shit out of him for hurting Batman. F'ing go Alfred! This comic seems to break every long standing staple in the DC universe - it's just, just brilliant! Cant wait to see what happens next, with Superman joining the Sinestro Corps!

Sharky
19th September 2014, 01:20 PM
Just finished reading all of Year 1 of Injustice: Gods Among Us (36 issues) and the first 22 issues of Year 2.

Wow - awesome comics! I'll write some of my fave stuff below but hide it in case of Spoilers:

this was a book i enjoyed buying digitally until comixology changed the store/payment methods i dropped it with about 12 other books (Green and Red Lanterns so on so forth) due to the lack of ease to get them now.

it was great seeing what would happen if supes would loose it like he did.

i was thinking of pcking up a trade or two when they get released...

snaketales
20th September 2014, 03:38 PM
Today I finally completed my collection of Rom comics.

:D

Paulbot
21st January 2015, 08:16 AM
Dear DC fans
How did you cope with the publisher rebooting continuity and throwing out decades of stories (except for the ones that sell well in bookstores)?
From
A Marvel fan

Sharky
21st January 2015, 08:54 AM
Dear DC fans
How did you cope with the publisher rebooting continuity and throwing out decades of stories (except for the ones that sell well in bookstores)?
From
A Marvel fan

this kinda bugs me from marvel but I look forward to it as well, they did the marvel NOW soft reboot which did and didn't restart some stuff, I think there has been more misses of late with the titles and events

avx sucked
original sin sucked
axis sucked

iron man has been sucky
avengers titles has mostly been one major crossover that is a slower burn then bbq coals

a reboot will be good to get rid of all those crap stories

but then there has been some good stuff Thor/Odinson what they have done with him has been good (couldn't care less about thor girl)
Punisher has been good
and the non earth based books have been good..

I am half intrigued to see what will happen

Paulbot
21st January 2015, 09:22 AM
this kinda bugs me from marvel but I look forward to it as well, they did the marvel NOW soft reboot which did and didn't restart some stuff, I think there has been more misses of late with the titles and events

avx sucked
original sin sucked
axis sucked

iron man has been sucky
avengers titles has mostly been one major crossover that is a slower burn then bbq coals

a reboot will be good to get rid of all those crap stories

but then there has been some good stuff Thor/Odinson what they have done with him has been good (couldn't care less about thor girl)
Punisher has been good
and the non earth based books have been good..

I am half intrigued to see what will happen

The Marvel NOW relaunches didn't throw anything away though, just set up new status quos etc.

It's not a surprise, and it's obviously been coming since time broke and the incursions started. (I'm still wondering where the Exiles are as their whole job was preventing the destruction of the multiverse due to alternate realities going wrong. At least they, finally, covered that the Roma and the Captain Britain Corps were also paying attention to the incursions)

The thing about it that kinda bugs me is what I'd call the All Hail Megatron effect. Rather than creating new and interesting things, Marvel is trying to bring back the popular things. And when I say popular I mean, the things that were popular years ago (or elsewhere - like the movies and cartoons) and just do more of that rather than something original.

Some of the recent changes are stupid, sure I'd like to see Jubilee not be a vampire anymore, but that doesn't mean I want the X-Men Animated Series teenager back either but some have been good. I'm halfway through Superior Spider-Man and it's a really interesting new take on Spider-Man. Even though I know the ending, I'd like SpOck to hang around. But comics never change. Everything ends up reset to the familiar "safe" status quo eventually.

I've already moved my mindset away from a "gotta have them all" and I'll still pick up post Secret Wars stuff from the library and $1 comixology sales, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to buy new books.

Sharky
21st January 2015, 10:21 AM
Superior Spidey was such a great read while initially I didn't think I would like it, it turned out really well and was disappointed when it "ended" at least Spider-Verse has been entertaining to a degree confusing at it feels like it jumps all over the place but not bad but all the upcoming spin offs might be average,

Scarlett Spider was another series I was disappointed ended.. and for that fact New Warriors...

but with the Renew your Vows "teaser" online now I guess we can see that spidey is going back to the "Norm"

one thing I would like them to do is bring back Richard Rider in a regular series, I like the current Nova but I would like to see him back and the recent original sin arc in Guardians was probably one of the best reads from that event.

I guess like everything else... we wait and see..

Hot Rodimus
21st January 2015, 12:19 PM
Long time Spidey collector. I really enjoyed Superior Spiderman and unlike the Spidey we have been getting since Peter's return, Superior actualy had good stories with character development.

To me I think we have been introduced to Silk and rushed into the Spiderverse event far too soon. I was really looking forward to seeing how Peter was going to put his life back together and how he would react to finding out all the things Spock did while he was in control. I guess they will get round to some of this stuff sooner or later but it really disapointed me that it really has not been dealt with yet.

I also think Dan Slott, while having an excellent run on Spidey, is due for a change. I would really like to see someone else have a go. I am glad that Humberto Ramos has been given a rest on art duties too. I originaly loved his work but now I am tired of it too and appreciate a more realistic look like we are getting atm.

On a different note Moonknight and Daredevil are still yet to dissapoint me and I am also enjoying reading Death Vigil and Birthright. DC has let me down and I have dropped Green Arrow, Teen Titans and might drop Grayson unless it picks up.

Gutsman Heavy
21st January 2015, 01:03 PM
Dear DC fans
From
A Marvel fan

I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.

http://i.imgur.com/A9ZLd72.jpg

Paulbot
21st January 2015, 01:42 PM
I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.

That post you quoted wasn't all that serious.

I've been reading Marvel books for more a long time and each is part of one big story, and there's an appeal to that. A full reboot means that the story I've been following ends and that makes it easy to say "yep, I'm done". DC's done this a few times but I've never collected DC books.

I'll accept a retcon as they add dimension and twists to the ongoing story. Sliding time scales only affect the cultural references.

A reboot to me says the old story is done. Here's a new one, but the new one tends to be too similar to the old one. Like the Amazing Spider-Man movies and how they just go over the same points as the first set of movies (that went over the same stories from 40 years earlier).

I'm not a fan of seeing the same stories told over and over and this idea that everything has to be the same as when I started reading it. It'd be interesting to see comic book writers do something new and different with characters than to see them retell the origin stories again.

If Marvel's Secret Wars produces good new stories, that'll be great, but if it's just a chance to reboot everything back to a 'classic' status quo (Steve's Captain America again, Thor's male again, Wolverine's not dead) that's boring.

Gutsman Heavy
21st January 2015, 02:06 PM
I'd rather dump continuity all together, strangles writers too much. When a writer is done with a series, the next shouldn't be hamstrung by the predecessor.

"I want Aunt May to be in my book, but she's dead! Lets make it she was a clone or an alien taco or some bullshit so justify having her back!"

Cut the crap and tell the story you wan't, don't spend issues to align the universe where you need it to start the real story.

I do realise I'm the minority here and the majority of comic readers sperg out about their precious 60 year timeline of a teenager.

If the marvel reboot or whatever gives something as good as the nu52 Azzarello Wonder Woman book it'll be worth it. However I assume they will make it more like the movies to the detriment of the books themselves.

Sharky
21st January 2015, 06:09 PM
I guess the alternative was

I with thor many many year ago ran a bunch of stories over 18 issues where he became the allfather, lost his eye lost his arm and In the Final Issue it was just a dream or vision what might happen if he continued on his course.. what a bust

they could use that again

it was all a big fat Spidey Dream as he lay dying on the bed before they discover it was doc ock that switched minds and fix it with the combined brilliance of reed stark and beast resetting the timeline before any of those other stories happened 2 years ago.

Uncle ben is still dead...

I guess we just wait and see what they dish up could be a good time to shuffle the pull list...

Paulbot
3rd November 2015, 07:09 PM
Looking back at this thread many months later. From what I can see the post-Secret Wars, "All New All Different" Marvel Universe is basically a line wide "A Wizard Did" excuse for any status quo change which is pretty yawn worthy. And the X-Men's status quo appears to be "mutants are almost extinct" again which is insulting to people in a minority like me. Marvel's been pretty crap on this recently. Overall Marvel have made a pretty good jumping off point.

Anyway, on an actually unrelated note, I came to this thread to mention that I've got a bunch of old 90s Marvel comics, mostly X-books, that I want to get rid of and if anyone was interested to let me know.

Paul Agnew
6th November 2015, 04:54 PM
Someone was going to mention this eventually:

http://behindthepanels.net/comic-kingdom-sydneys-oldest-comic-book-store-is-closing-down/

BigTransformerTrev
10th March 2016, 01:22 PM
Just got my Harley Quinn Power Girl book (collection of the 6 comic-crossover mini-series) :)

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b615/BigAngryTrev/photo%209_zps9z9uja4x.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/BigAngryTrev/media/photo%209_zps9z9uja4x.jpg.html)

BruiseLee
10th May 2016, 11:48 AM
Just got my Harley Quinn Power Girl book (collection of the 6 comic-crossover mini-series) :)

Love Amanda Conner's art! :)

Been buying comics very sporadically over the last 5 odd years. Before then was reading and collecting since the late 80s and I used to have quite the pull list but pared that down to trades and digital comics to save $ and space. Lately I've been lurking on FB comic groups and have been pleasantly surprised at the apparent worth of some of the stuff I have. I say "apparent" as I'm likely not to sell them as I want to pass them onto my Autobubs and "apparent" as its how much someone wants to pay. Not talking massive early retirement fund gains here but nice enough to know that for every dud decision (buying 4-5 different copies of X-Force #1 cause hey, different trading card! :rolleyes: ) there is something like a New Mutants #98 (first Deadpool) sitting around :)

shockNwave
23rd May 2016, 08:46 PM
Recently got myself hyped up for the X-Men Apocalypse movie by rereading The Rise of Apocalypse graphic novel. Also I've been reacquainting myself with titles from the Age of Apocalypse event that happened in 1995. That's when the X-titles were renamed for 4 months. Observe:

Uncanny X-Men = Astonishing X-Men
X-Men = Amazing X-Men
X-Force = Gambit & the X-Ternals
Generation X = Generation Next
X-Factor = Factor-X
Wolverine = Weapon X
Xcalibur = X-Calibre
Cable = X-Man

BigTransformerTrev
29th March 2017, 04:31 PM
Finally finished reading all the latest Deadpool comics. There are three running at the moment:

Deadpool
Deadpool & the Mercs for Money
Deadpool and Spiderman

Ironically I'm enjoying the main Deadpool comic the least as it's the most serious. He is rarely funny or dangerously insane whereas the other two are more Deadpool'ish.

I still miss him having 2 voices in his head - for me those were the best!

Paulbot
20th September 2017, 09:17 PM
There's a pretty good sale on digital Marvel comics on Amazon (where you buy for Kindle and can link to your Comixology account). Most collections are around the $4 mark - including pretty recent releases.

I'm trying to make the most of the sale, racking my brain to find books I've wanted to read or have a copy of. Even considering replacing some of my physical books with the cheap digital replacements.

philby
20th September 2017, 11:33 PM
I thought the movie was kinda average :/

Any recommendations on x-men comics to read?
thinking of something like maybe the dark phoenix thing,
is that a bit of a classic and is it easily available in a collection? Honestly I find getting into stuff like Marvel and DC very daunting because there are so many "universes" and retcons etc over the years I would have no idea where to begin and am worried jumping in somewhere would just be overwhelming.

Recently got myself hyped up for the X-Men Apocalypse movie by rereading The Rise of Apocalypse graphic novel. Also I've been reacquainting myself with titles from the Age of Apocalypse event that happened in 1995. That's when the X-titles were renamed for 4 months. Observe:

Uncanny X-Men = Astonishing X-Men
X-Men = Amazing X-Men
X-Force = Gambit & the X-Ternals
Generation X = Generation Next
X-Factor = Factor-X
Wolverine = Weapon X
Xcalibur = X-Calibre
Cable = X-Man

Paulbot
21st September 2017, 07:48 AM
I thought the movie was kinda average :/

Any recommendations on x-men comics to read?
thinking of something like maybe the dark phoenix thing,
is that a bit of a classic and is it easily available in a collection? Honestly I find getting into stuff like Marvel and DC very daunting because there are so many "universes" and retcons etc over the years I would have no idea where to begin and am worried jumping in somewhere would just be overwhelming.

When it comes to X-Men I can give you recommendations a plenty (looks at my bookshelf full of every issue of Uncanny X-Men as a starter). Let me have a think and I'll give you some things that work well standalone. Any particular characters you like or want to read more about?

The Dark Phoenix Saga collection is always in print and is about $4 digitally on Amazon at the moment. Read by itself I think it might not be as strong as it is as when read as the conclusion to the story that started with the All-New All-Different X-Men relaunch - but there's no (cheap) way to pick all that up (GS1, 94-137) at the moment. Maybe it's all on Marvel Unlimited.

BruiseLee
21st September 2017, 11:12 AM
^ yep Marvel Unlimited has the full run from #94 onwards.

Another way could be the Marvel Essentials collections. They are in b&w but cheap.

Paulbot
21st September 2017, 01:22 PM
^ yep Marvel Unlimited has the full run from #94 onwards.

Another way could be the Marvel Essentials collections. They are in b&w but cheap.

You'd think so, but they are out of print (replaced with the Epic collections). I spent quite some time trying to get the final printing of the Essential X-Men Vol 1 but could never find any store that had it or didn't have it for a huge markup.

(I bought and still have the first printing but it left out the cliffhanger at the end. I've since got the Epic and the Omnibus :o )

I have been tempted to get onboard with Marvel Unlimited. One day.

Gutsman Heavy
21st September 2017, 04:20 PM
I've been reading Peter J. Tomasi's Superman Rebirth, easily my favorite title now that Flintstones has finished up. Christopher Priest's Deathstroke Rebirth is also really good.

philby
22nd September 2017, 11:10 AM
so "uncanny x-men" from issue 94 to 137 is what i want? are they all in one collection and is it available digitally? i generally use comixology on my tablet.

philby
22nd September 2017, 11:51 AM
From the wikipedia entry for all-new x-men: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-New_X-Men)

Following the events of the Battle of the Atom story arc, the time-displaced X-Men, led by Kitty Pryde, moved to the modern day Cyclops's New Xavier School following a disagreement with the Jean Grey School X-Men members.[7] They would be joined a few issues later by X-23, who had just survived the events of Avengers Arena. The team then took to space in a crossover event, "The Trial of Jean Grey", with Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy series as part of All-New Marvel NOW!.[8] Following the crossover, the young time-displaced Cyclops was spun off to his own solo series, Cyclops, which had him and his father, Corsair, journey through outer space together.[9] After the series is cancelled upon the end of the Inhumans vs X-Men story line, the story of the All-New X-Men is continued in the new series X-Men Blue

how the hell are you supposed to get into that lol

Paulbot
22nd September 2017, 12:49 PM
From the wikipedia entry for all-new x-men: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-New_X-Men)

That's a different "All-New X-Men" to the "All New All Different X-Men". I'm not going to be ever be able to say that X-Men publishing is not confusing. :o

so "uncanny x-men" from issue 94 to 137 is what i want? are they all in one collection and is it available digitally? i generally use comixology on my tablet.

Indvidually, you'd want
Giant Sized X-Men #1
X-Men (1963) #94-137

There's not single digital collection of all of these issues.

If you link your Comixology account with Amazon, you can buy Kindle books on Amazon and read them on the Comixology app on the tablet, much cheaper with their current sale, but all these volumes are on both

X-Men Epic Collection Second Genesis (reprints Giant-Sized, #94-110 - same content as Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 and 2 but half the price)
https://www.amazon.com.au/d/X-Men-Epic-Collection-Genesis-1963-2011-ebook/B01MYAJJ1F/ref=sr_1_1

Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men Vol #3-5 (collects 111-140)
https://www.amazon.com.au/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-3-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KUW/ref=pd_sim_351_2/356-1313911-3228341
https://www.amazon.com.au/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-4-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KWA/ref=pd_sim_351_3/356-1313911-3228341
https://www.amazon.com.au/d/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-1963-2011-ebook/B01EZ6ROG2/ref=sr_1_9

Or just jump in and get just the Dark Phoenix story collection (#129-137)
(If you know generally who the major X-Men characters are you can pick it up and follow along, but as I said the story is the end to a longer story)
https://www.amazon.com.au/X-Men-Dark-Phoenix-Uncanny-1963-2011-ebook/dp/B00ARKCTES/ref=pd_sim_351_4/356-1313911-3228341

philby
22nd September 2017, 07:24 PM
That's a different "All-New X-Men" to the "All New All Different X-Men". I'm not going to be ever be able to say that X-Men publishing is not confusing. :o

Indvidually, you'd want
Giant Sized X-Men #1
X-Men (1963) #94-137

There's not single digital collection of all of these issues.

If you link your Comixology account with Amazon, you can buy Kindle books on Amazon and read them on the Comixology app on the tablet, much cheaper with their current sale, but all these volumes are on both

X-Men Epic Collection Second Genesis (reprints Giant-Sized, #94-110 - same content as Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 and 2 but half the price)
https://www.amazon.com.au/d/X-Men-Epic-Collection-Genesis-1963-2011-ebook/B01MYAJJ1F/ref=sr_1_1

Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men Vol #3-5 (collects 111-140)
https://www.amazon.com.au/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-3-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KUW/ref=pd_sim_351_2/356-1313911-3228341
https://www.amazon.com.au/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-4-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KWA/ref=pd_sim_351_3/356-1313911-3228341
https://www.amazon.com.au/d/Uncanny-X-Men-Masterworks-Vol-1963-2011-ebook/B01EZ6ROG2/ref=sr_1_9

Or just jump in and get just the Dark Phoenix story collection (#129-137)
(If you know generally who the major X-Men characters are you can pick it up and follow along, but as I said the story is the end to a longer story)
https://www.amazon.com.au/X-Men-Dark-Phoenix-Uncanny-1963-2011-ebook/dp/B00ARKCTES/ref=pd_sim_351_4/356-1313911-3228341

Yeah i realised that wasn't the same series you referred to but i was just highlighting my point of 'jumping in' to a series which is then incorporating a bunch of other ones and crosovers.

I will investigate tour recommendations 😊

Paulbot
22nd September 2017, 07:54 PM
Yeah i realised that wasn't the same series you referred to but i was just highlighting my point of 'jumping in' to a series which is then incorporating a bunch of other ones and crosovers.

I will investigate tour recommendations 😊

It's a mess! One I love, but getting started in it is hard.

The books I suggested are the core foundations of what made X-Men popular, although I will warn that they start off quite dated in style (both writing and art).

The most modern, standalone, recommendation I'd have for you is to check out Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, collected in four volumes (Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, Unstoppable) (here's volume 1)
https://www.comixology.com/Astonishing-X-Men-Vol-1-Gifted/digital-comic/14687?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlz dC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

The Morrision New X-Men run (issue 114-154) is standalone too but a pretty unconventional take on the X-Men. Not really the traditional X-Men you might expect, but good. Collected in seven volumes starting with:
https://www.comixology.com/New-X-Men-by-Grant-Morrison-Vol-1-E-Is-For-Extinction/digital-comic/16136?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlz dC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

philby
6th February 2018, 10:17 AM
I ended up getting 5 volumes of 'Uncanny X-Men Masterworks' which collected a whole heap of issues. It was good, but man, such a slog!

So many....text and thought...bubbles! It is taking...all..my strength...to continue! I can't let my fellow X-Men down....I must keep going...No, I will keep going! I need....to describe in detail...every...single...though and action...that I...take! Aah!

lol

Paulbot
6th February 2018, 11:57 AM
As I said "quite dated in style (both writing and art)"!