PDA

View Full Version : Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Hursticon
24th July 2012, 06:47 PM
Just to add to what Paul is saying, MP Grimlock (https://www.google.com.au/url?url=http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Grimlock_(G1)/toys%23Masterpiece&rct=j&q=masterpiece+grimlock&usg=AFQjCNEWfTO9DQbofrtFQhsP05YoZRzZeg&sa=X&ei=ItMNUKHTMOSXiQfDsoDIDg&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQygQwAw&cad=rja) even comes with a gimmick whereby you can change his eyes from blue (cartoon accuracy) to red which was the colour used for the G1 toy.

A cool and well-executed gimmick too! :D

KalEl
24th July 2012, 07:10 PM
A cool and well-executed gimmick too! :D

Thats the kind of non-intrusive gimmick i love

Tober
25th July 2012, 12:27 PM
I seem to recall hearing that there has only been one year since 1984 that there has not been a new season of Transformers cartoon released. Offhand does anyone know which year it was?

I'm guessing early 90s, before Beast Wars started...

GoktimusPrime
26th July 2012, 09:10 PM
I seem to recall hearing that there has only been one year since 1984 that there has not been a new season of Transformers cartoon released. Offhand does anyone know which year it was?

I'm guessing early 90s, before Beast Wars started...
1991 - no new Transformers cartoon
1992 - no new Transformers cartoon
1995 - no new Transformers cartoon

Footnotes
1. I guess G2 (1993-94) technically counts as a "new" Transformers cartoon... more like a bad reissue. :/
2. 2001-02 saw Car Robot come out, which was basically a dub of 2000's Transformers Car Robot. So the status of that series as "new" for that year may also be debatable like G2.

Tober
27th July 2012, 02:27 AM
Thanks! :)

Kapryiath
27th July 2012, 08:19 PM
book style re-issue inferno's shoulder wing things do they have bigger pegs than his shoulders do holes? when i tried to put them into mine today it was a tight fit and put some stress marks into the plastic :( :(

GoktimusPrime
27th July 2012, 10:40 PM
Hasbro or Takara book reissue? I have the Takara one and have no such problem.

Bumblebee
30th July 2012, 03:06 PM
Uh, hi. is their really only 2-5% of girls who are transfans! that is SO SAD! (i'm a girl btw). Do any of you know whether Bulkhead dies on transformers prime?

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2012, 04:52 PM
1. I don't know the exact number of fans who are girls, but there are quite a few female Transformer fans (some who love drawing TF Yaoi...), including here on this board. But Transformers has always been a predominantly male thing (but that's not to say that girls aren't welcome) :) Beast Wars International (http://bwint.net/) is a predominantly female Transformers community and there are also quite a few female TF fans on The Lexicon (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/) -- the admins of both these communities are female TF fans. I've met them both IRL and they're great gals.

2. No idea if Bulkie's still alive or not... we'll find out when TF Prime resumes airing. :)

Cat
30th July 2012, 05:16 PM
Uh, hi. is their really only 2-5% of girls who are transfans! that is SO SAD! (i'm a girl btw). Do any of you know whether Bulkhead dies on transformers prime?

There's also the large number of girls keep fairly quiet, or just don't state their gender online, as they could be hassled by dickheads. They are, unfortunately everywhere, as in real life (dickheads I mean, not girls).

The Fan Fic stuff has a HUGE readership online. HUGE. They have all that stuff they LOVE, and good on them. It's not my thing, but they're pretty wide-ranging. A lot of Starscream stiff, except he is kind of a twink, with Megatron as his lover.

Like I said, not my thing, but if that's what you want, it gets a lot of female readership and involvement.

I think the 2-5% figure is FAR from comprehensive, and I don't think it includes readers from the fringe areas.

How high is it really? I don't know. Depends. Starscream fan fic = a lot more, for example.

So it's still not 50/50, but there's definitely more than that, even just including the mainstream stuff.

griffin
30th July 2012, 06:44 PM
It's best to just focus on what we all share (being a fan), and not worry about any demographics or elements that may be different or rare (like gender, age, race, etc).

And if other people obsess about it, as if female fans are like a lost treasure, just ignore them. (report them to staff if anyone harass you, as this place welcomes all FANS, regardless of what "type" of fan you are)

Slag
30th July 2012, 07:51 PM
does anyone know what that purple tape thing is. sorry bout the small pic

loophole
30th July 2012, 08:08 PM
Its an autoscout that only appeared in one episode, im pretty sure its a 3rd party item (but i could be wrong)

UltraMarginal
30th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Its an autoscout that only appeared in one episode, im pretty sure its a 3rd party item (but i could be wrong)

correct:)

SuspectimusPrime
30th July 2012, 09:08 PM
(but i could be wrong)

Nope, you're totally right :) It was released by iGear a few years back.

SuspectimusPrime
30th July 2012, 09:09 PM
(some who love drawing TF Yaoi...))

:eek::eek::eek:

Slag
30th July 2012, 09:16 PM

correct:)

Nope, you're totally right :) It was released by iGear a few years back.

Thanks people:)

Yukitora
1st August 2012, 07:40 PM

Um. Im a chick. Im also a rare species in Warhammer 40k. You're not alone.

Decepticon
5th August 2012, 11:11 AM
Why does my SDCC Bruticus have a 'distributed in Australia by Hasbro Australia' underneath the packaging? Isn't this just the SDCC exclusive to Comic Con in the U.S?

Sky Shadow
5th August 2012, 11:19 AM
Why does my SDCC Bruticus have a 'distributed in Australia by Hasbro Australia' underneath the packaging? Isn't this just the SDCC exclusive to Comic Con in the U.S?

It's because Hasbro Australia has nothing to do, so to keep them busy they do the licensing of various Hasbro toys. It doesn't mean it's actually distributed in Australia, just a generic legal blurb.

Decepticon
5th August 2012, 11:22 AM
It's because Hasbro Australia has nothing to do, so to keep them busy they do the licensing of various Hasbro toys. It doesn't mean it's actually distributed in Australia, just a generic legal blurb.

I thought so. Just seems weird to have all that on it if the product doesn't even set foot here in oz.

Cat
6th August 2012, 06:06 AM
I thought so. Just seems weird to have all that on it if the product doesn't even set foot here in oz.
They knew yours would be setting foot in Oz. ;)

(not the prison show Oz. that'd be....disturbing)

UltraMarginal
7th August 2012, 09:48 AM
So,
I have seen pictures, and heard that the Japanese Breakdown and Jet Vehicon both only have Takara/Tomy markings on them.

Potentially indicating that these are definitiely only Asian release toys.

I'm wondering, does anyone have an AM anything else that has had the same mold released either here or in the states and can they inform us if these other japanese release prime toys also only say Takara/Tomy or do they also have a Hasbro Stamp on them somewhere?

griffin
7th August 2012, 02:14 PM
Skywarp and Terrorcon Cliffjumper have "Hasbro" on it with "Tomy"... and I think the people who have been collecting all the JP versions were the ones to first notice which ones didn't have "Hasbro" at all (Breakdown and Jet Vehicon).
(I only have those two moulds that were released by Hasbro, so can't say what the others have on them)

UltraMarginal
7th August 2012, 04:31 PM
Skywarp and Terrorcon Cliffjumper have "Hasbro" on it with "Tomy"... and I think the people who have been collecting all the JP versions were the ones to first notice which ones didn't have "Hasbro" at all (Breakdown and Jet Vehicon).
(I only have those two moulds that were released by Hasbro, so can't say what the others have on them)

Thanks Griffin, that's the sort of indicator I was looking for, it indicates to me that if there was to be a local release of either it would be significantly different to the Takara Version, enough to warrant perhaps two jet vehicons for my collection, one from Takara and a future ptential one from Hasbro.

kup
8th August 2012, 03:27 PM
Is this an official toy?

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/retro-con-2012-to-be-held-november-11th-2012/25562/

If so, how can they pull it off since this is an 80s vintage mold that hasn't really been used since. They could easily make it into a G1 colored reissue if they can do that officially.

Paulbot
8th August 2012, 03:45 PM
LOL that's awesome.

Starscream77
8th August 2012, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know much about this? Saw it on eBay the other day but now gone. Said it was Takara history collection box of 12 figures. I had never heard of it but I am sure you guys can fill me in

Paulbot
8th August 2012, 06:34 PM
Is this an official toy?

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/retro-con-2012-to-be-held-november-11th-2012/25562/

If so, how can they pull it off since this is an 80s vintage mold that hasn't really been used since. They could easily make it into a G1 colored reissue if they can do that officially.

LOL that's awesome.

Aw. It's a door prize, one-off custom FrenzyRumble repaint of an original FlyWheels. Still, I'd prefer to buy this with its custom early 90s box over the BotCon Overlord.

DUOCON-307 Overlord is a one off custom from the creative mind of yours truly! Custom figure re-painted by FrenzyRumble, custom box, with Tech Specs re-written by me for RETROCON.

GoktimusPrime
8th August 2012, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know much about this? Saw it on eBay the other day but now gone. Said it was Takara history collection box of 12 figures. I had never heard of it but I am sure you guys can fill me in
http://blog-imgs-22.fc2.com/p/o/t/potoris2213/20061125000949.jpg
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Darts/1140/tf/syumisarashi2.html
Bunch of PVC figurines. Nothing spectacular (I have Bumblebee who stands under my monitor at work, and some of the bottle caps who sit on my Pepsi Convoy's trailer). If you can find 'em cheap, then go for it, but I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars for each one. They're just little PVC figurines with zero play value (nothing more than decoration). :rolleyes: Arguably the most interesting piece in the set is the alternate hand for Masterpiece Convoy (http://www.e-na.co.jp/omocha/img/exp/pickup/amc009619.jpg) that comes with a crouching Spike figurine. But honestly, MP10 has since made that redundant since it comes with a Spike figure (w/ basic articulation and better interactivity since he can stand or sit inside Optimus Prime or Roller etc. whereas the PVC figurine is completely non-poseable). And of course, Hasbro's MP10 is slated to come out at Australian Toys R Us stores soon... so I'd personally just wait for that. <shrug>

kup
8th August 2012, 10:28 PM
Aw. It's a door prize, one-off custom FrenzyRumble repaint of an original FlyWheels. Still, I'd prefer to buy this with its custom early 90s box over the BotCon Overlord.

Ah ok I see. For some reason I had misunderstood that this was a mass produced toy based on FrenzyRumble's custom.

Cat
9th August 2012, 03:13 AM
http://blog-imgs-22.fc2.com/p/o/t/potoris2213/20061125000949.jpg
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Darts/1140/tf/syumisarashi2.html
Bunch of PVC figurines. Nothing spectacular (I have Bumblebee who stands under my monitor at work, and some of the bottle caps who sit on my Pepsi Convoy's trailer). If you can find 'em cheap, then go for it, but I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars for each one. They're just little PVC figurines with zero play value (nothing more than decoration). :rolleyes: Arguably the most interesting piece in the set is the alternate hand for Masterpiece Convoy (http://www.e-na.co.jp/omocha/img/exp/pickup/amc009619.jpg) that comes with a crouching Spike figurine. But honestly, MP10 has since made that redundant since it comes with a Spike figure (w/ basic articulation and better interactivity since he can stand or sit inside Optimus Prime or Roller etc. whereas the PVC figurine is completely non-poseable). And of course, Hasbro's MP10 is slated to come out at Australian Toys R Us stores soon... so I'd personally just wait for that. <shrug>

Not really.

The bottle-cap Spike and hand is for the prior MP Prime.

So if you have that Prime, then that set is a nice little value add-on for it. It's a lot cheaper than paying $150+ just for a Spike.

A couple of bucks and goes with the Prime most people have, in one way or another (probably more than a couple of bucks now, but still) vs buying a whole new scaled Prime for minimum $150 just to get a Spike.

griffin
9th August 2012, 01:29 PM
That's what he said. Which is why he then said the (later) MP10 Convoy/Optimus now makes that PVC pair as "redundant"... redundant meaning it was referring to the the earlier MP Convoy/Optimus.

Cat
9th August 2012, 06:45 PM
That's what he said. Which is why he then said the (later) MP10 Convoy/Optimus now makes that PVC pair as "redundant"... redundant meaning it was referring to the the earlier MP Convoy/Optimus.

I read it as the Spike figurine being the redundant item there.

Sorry but I still read it that way? Meh, I'll check it later when my brains not as foggy.

Sky Shadow
10th August 2012, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know what's in The Town Commander Collection Book (http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/toy/event/2012/cybertron_satellite/)? Is it a freebie booklet with images of the Japanese town commanders or something more than that.

griffin
10th August 2012, 01:16 PM
Maybe it details those towns, like a travel/tourist guide? Even though each of those toys could be produced (without the new heads & weapons), I haven't heard anything about it happening... so maybe the book features images & bios of those characters, along with info on each of the towns they are named after.
Perhaps keep an eye on tfwiki, as it may mention something about it, whenever the book gets released.

kurdt_the_goat
10th August 2012, 01:35 PM
My wife seems to think the booklet is a freebie you can choose to take when buying one of the town TF's. You also get a sticker so she thinks the book is probably like a stamp book (over here, most tourist locations have a stamp station so you can keep a record of everywhere you've been). Only one town/shop is relatively close to me right now, but unfortunately not close enough :(

liegeprime
10th August 2012, 02:16 PM
Ive been reading at tfw that the "asia exclusives" generation figures are going to be sold in the US by TRU. Does this mean, or does anybody know if our local TRU here in Aus are going to sell them as well?... sorry if this query was asked earlier or in another thread already , just too lazy to look. :p

Sky Shadow
10th August 2012, 06:07 PM
My wife seems to think the booklet is a freebie you can choose to take when buying one of the town TF's.

That would be great if the town Primes are actually going to be for sale. Fingers crossed.

Trent
10th August 2012, 07:55 PM
Ive been reading at tfw that the "asia exclusives" generation figures are going to be sold in the US by TRU. Does this mean, or does anybody know if our local TRU here in Aus are going to sell them as well?... sorry if this query was asked earlier or in another thread already , just too lazy to look. :p

If that's the case then someone in the marketing department needs to look up the definition of the word "exclusive".

swoop
10th August 2012, 08:23 PM

I emailed hasbro about that the other day and they said that they wouldn't be bringing them over here. I've been meaning to post the about it.

kurdt_the_goat
10th August 2012, 08:26 PM
That would be great if the town Primes are actually going to be for sale. Fingers crossed.

Actually looking at it again, it says if you buy any TF toy from the designated store you get the sticker for that location - there are no town toys :(

tinyJazz
10th August 2012, 11:16 PM
I emailed hasbro about that the other day and they said that they wouldn't be bringing them over here. I've been meaning to post the about it.

Have you emailed TRU? Hasbro said the new Masterpiece Optimus wouldn't be here either (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13576), even though TRU intends to carry it.

Sky Shadow
10th August 2012, 11:52 PM
I emailed hasbro about that the other day and they said that they wouldn't be bringing them over here.

What Hasbro Australia says it's not going to do is almost always meaningless - they don't even know what they are doing half the time and the other half of the time they're regularly proven wrong or misinformed.

After decades of experience, I always find that the best thing to do is never assume a toy will or won't show up in Australia.

1. If I really want a new toy, I always import it.
2. If I don't really want it but would buy it if I saw it on shelves then I wait - if it shows up it's a bonus, if it doesn't it's no big loss.

GoktimusPrime
11th August 2012, 09:49 AM
What Hasbro Australia says it's not going to do is almost always meaningless - they don't even know what they are doing half the time and the other half of the time they're regularly proven wrong or misinformed.
Yarp. I learnt that first hand 3 years ago when I contacted Hasbro Australia and asked them about MP Grimlock, and they told me that Hasbro would NOT be doing MP Grimlock and that it wouldn't be sold here. About a year later I bought my Hasbro MP Grimlock from Toys R Us Castle Hill. :rolleyes:

After decades of experience, I always find that the best thing to do is never assume a toy will or won't show up in Australia.

1. If I really want a new toy, I always import it.
2. If I don't really want it but would buy it if I saw it on shelves then I wait - if it shows up it's a bonus, if it doesn't it's no big loss.
+1. But for me, when TakaraTOMY released MP Grimlock my wife was still pregnant so I had to be more frugal with an upcoming child on the way... so I couldn't justify spending the money to import a TakTOM Grimlock, so my options were either to just miss out on MP Grimlock, or get a Hasbro one if it comes out locally - hence why I went and asked Hasbro AU directly when TakTOM's MP Grimlock came out.

But not withstanding exceptional circumstances like the birth of a child, I just do what you do. Nothing's an absolute guarantee until the toy gets sighted by on a store shelf.

Even with the upcoming Hasbro MP10... I never desperately wanted this toy, but if I find it at TRU, I'll grab one straight away. But if I don't... okay, I'll be disappointed, but I can live without it (I already have MP01). :o

kup
11th August 2012, 02:20 PM
Crap!! This morning I went to my collection room and saw several of my G1 transformers on the floor. It seems that Wreckgar fell forward and knocked several guys down.

While picking them up, I saw that Raindance was missing a Slamdance foot! I have looked everywhere and I can't find it :(

Now the thing that is stressing me out is that I am now unsure if the foot ever made it over when I moved about a year and half ago. I haven't really played with Raindance since moving so I am now not sure since I can't find the foot anywhere and there isn't many places where it could have gone. All my shelves are against the well with the much of the center area cleared.

If anyone has a Raindance and wish to sell it, please let me know. It doesn't matter what condition it's in as long as one of the feet is there.

Autocon
14th August 2012, 12:44 AM
Do I need to say misb or is sealed enough?

SuspectimusPrime
14th August 2012, 10:40 AM
Do I need to say misb or is sealed enough?

As in an eBay listing? MISB is universally accepted, but you should mention 'Mint In Sealed Bag/Box' in your description anyways, just to avoid unnecessary questioning.

UltraMarginal
14th August 2012, 01:21 PM
As in an eBay listing? MISB is universally accepted, but you should mention 'Mint In Sealed Bag/Box' in your description anyways, just to avoid unnecessary questioning.

what he said.
Sealed doesn't mean it hasn't been re-sealed. MISB is clearer.

Slag
14th August 2012, 06:19 PM
If you could only keep one. (G1 Sideswipe in this case)
Would you keep a loose original or a loose re-issue?. Both with no weapons, but with the original having more wear on it. (paint chips, scratches, etc)

Sky Shadow
14th August 2012, 06:31 PM
If you could only keep one. (G1 Sideswipe in this case)
Would you keep a loose original or a loose re-issue?. Both with no weapons, but with the original having more wear on it. (paint chips, scratches, etc)

I'd keep the reissue.

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2012, 08:07 PM
I'd keep the reissue.
+1.

I almost always keep both -- but I did offload one of my G1 originals after getting a reissue (Perceptor); so yeah, in the on instance where I did decide to choose one, I went for the reissue. :)

liegeprime
15th August 2012, 12:51 AM
Crap!! This morning I went to my collection room and saw several of my G1 transformers on the floor. It seems that Wreckgar fell forward and knocked several guys down.

While picking them up, I saw that Raindance was missing a Slamdance foot! I have looked everywhere and I can't find it :(

Now the thing that is stressing me out is that I am now unsure if the foot ever made it over when I moved about a year and half ago. I haven't really played with Raindance since moving so I am now not sure since I can't find the foot anywhere and there isn't many places where it could have gone. All my shelves are against the well with the much of the center area cleared.

If anyone has a Raindance and wish to sell it, please let me know. It doesn't matter what condition it's in as long as one of the feet is there.

Did you take updated pics of your collection shelf when you moved and rearranged you collection? If you did, you might have a closeup shot of the minitapes so you'd know if the foot made it post your move.

kup
15th August 2012, 01:13 AM
Did you take updated pics of your collection shelf when you moved and rearranged you collection? If you did, you might have a closeup shot of the minitapes so you'd know if the foot made it post your move.

I was looking at my old pics and I don't even seem to have Raindance in them! I have not taken updated collection pics since I moved nearly two years ago.

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th August 2012, 12:30 PM
Are there any Minicon/Legends-sized figures that would make a decent match for the "Powered Buggy" that came with Diaclone Powered Convoy?

Yukitora
17th August 2012, 12:41 PM
Are there any Minicon/Legends-sized figures that would make a decent match for the "Powered Buggy" that came with Diaclone Powered Convoy?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=minicons+race&view=detail&id=46120D121CD3D07EA171F5F6440AB01FAD0EC9EB&first=91&FORM=IDFRIR

you'd have to cut and paste him a bit... but i'm sure i've seen a similar head on something else. just can't remember right now... really bugging me now.

Anyway, my question: Did G1 Sunstreaker use any had guns?, and does someone have a general pic of an Autobot gun that could be used. G1- style.

Paulbot
17th August 2012, 09:53 PM
Anyway, my question: Did G1 Sunstreaker use any had guns?, and does someone have a general pic of an Autobot gun that could be used. G1- style.

Sunstreaker has a gun in Changing Gears, it's a memorable scene but not a memorable gun. There's a pic on TFwiki http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:ChangingGears_jungleclearing.jpg

In the comics you can see him firing in #2 (although that panel's a bit of a mess)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdnsMr0Z1qbguy1o1_500.jpg

And he's got a very generic gun in UK #260

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdoanSzY1qbguy1o1_500.jpg

Of you can look at another G1 book in which Sunstreaker's got a gun in nearly every page he appears. Even when locked in a Decepticon jail, he's still got his gun. :)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdmv90Jn1qbguy1o1_500.jpg

Another angle (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdn5A4r41qbguy1o1_500.jpg), another angle (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdn8ooyh1qbguy1o1_500.jpg), another angle (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wdqfwyLz1qbguy1o1_500.jpg).

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2012, 09:42 AM
Since the Sunstreaker toy didn't come w/ a gun he was bound to have rather generic looking guns depending on the artist. There wouldn't have been a gun provided with his character model on any production bible.

Sky Shadow
18th August 2012, 09:54 AM
Since the Sunstreaker toy didn't come w/ a gun he was bound to have rather generic looking guns depending on the artist. There wouldn't have been a gun provided with his character model on any production bible.

Except the Dreamwave one:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2566/sunstreaker.jpg

Yukitora
18th August 2012, 11:55 AM
hahhhhhh lol. i wish i had these references, but then, it gives you guys something to do! You've all been a great help. I hate holding props, but i didn't want to have cone hands/weapons for my cosplay....
I knew every bot had a general gun.

Trent
18th August 2012, 01:20 PM
So what's the go with the current IDW comic lines? I only usually buy TPB but haven't for a while as i'm deciding whether to just go digital so haven't paid much attention. The last TPB I bought/read was Police Action and from what I can gather they split it into 2 lines not long after that, RID and MTMTE. Is this correct? Do the 2 series intertwine with each other or are they seperate continuities?

Are they good? Personally, the story after the last dead universe series I read seemed to go downhill, that being part of the reason I lost interest after Police Action. Just wonering whether to pick up where I left off when I get the wife her ipad for her birthday.:)

Paulbot
18th August 2012, 01:29 PM
Same continuity but separate stories: RID is set on Cybertron and MTMTE in set on a spaceship. The first issues have some overlap, with the spaceship leaving Cybertron but otherwise they are two separate books.

Recommend picking up from the MTMTE and RID collections (both available digitally). The MTMTE Vol 1 collection includes one-shot which sets up the current status quo after the end of the 'ongoing' and the two #1 issues follow from there.

You could just read one series (in which case MTMTE is the way to go IMO, it's excellent - but the humour could be a turn off; I find RID less entertaining and less bang for your buck).

SuspectimusPrime
18th August 2012, 06:59 PM
@Trent: I'm very new to comics as well, having only read the Marvel US comics (3 times over the last couple of years). I've been highly anticipating the recent Regeneration One comics, and whilst waiting have taken glimpses at the MTMTE/RID comics as well. Finally caved this week and picked up MTMTE 2-7 and have not been disappointed - would highly recommend it :) Everyone has mentioned that RID is comparatively weaker, but I'll end up picking it up once I find a comic store that still has the earlier issues.

My own noob question:
Does the IDW reprints of Transformers Classics UK contain all the issues within volumes 1-4?
I ask this only because those volumes are all that seems to be available on Amazon/eBay/Book Depository.
If not, how else can I get the full story? :)

Paulbot
18th August 2012, 07:25 PM
No. The four volumes so far (number four has yet to be released) only go to about UK 151 (out of 332). There will be at least two or three more volumes. They do not include the US comics that the UK comic reprinted, so they don't tell the "whole story" but they explain how they fit together. I've posted reviews on the three volumes (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12280) released so far.

SuspectimusPrime
19th August 2012, 12:18 AM
No. The four volumes so far (number four has yet to be released) only go to about UK 151 (out of 332). There will be at least two or three more volumes. They do not include the US comics that the UK comic reprinted, so they don't tell the "whole story" but they explain how they fit together. I've posted reviews on the three volumes (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12280) released so far.

Ahh perfect, thank you good Sir :D

I've also watched some reviews on Youtube via thecollector75. Been looking forward to getting in these!

Starscream77
19th August 2012, 07:38 PM
Possible dumb question but the Prime season 1 that just came out, does that continue from the darkness rising DVD or is that part of it? Or is there something else between them?

Paulbot
19th August 2012, 07:54 PM
Possible dumb question but the Prime season 1 that just came out, does that continue from the darkness rising DVD or is that part of it? Or is there something else between them?

The Season One BluRay collection includes "Darkness Rising". I'm not sure that a Season One DVD set has come out yet (but that should include it as well). There's nothing "inbetween".

Starscream77
19th August 2012, 07:57 PM
The Season One BluRay collection includes "Darkness Rising". I'm not sure that a Season One DVD set has come out yet (but that should include it as well). There's nothing "inbetween".

Cheers mate

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th August 2012, 06:34 PM
Is it just me, or does Cab from Masterforce speak in Kansai-ben?

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2012, 11:16 PM
Not that I recall. The only Transformers I can think of off hand who speak Kansaiben are Diver (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Diver_%28BWII%29) and Gusshar (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slapper_%28RID%29). Cab's speech mannerisms kinda remind me of Build Boy (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wedge)'s; it's not a regional dialect, but kinda like a "little prince" (or Royal brat ;)) form of talking. Been quite a while since I've seen Masterforce though, so as Minerva would say, "Eh!" :p

Yukitora
22nd August 2012, 06:50 PM
Is G1 Sunstreaker the only one wearing a spoiler on the back? Not that my cosplay needs more crap stuck on it, but I just kinda realised when i was going through my pics for reference for the sad little engine block that i tried to make. As they all differ, which helps me 0% and i don't have any back shots.
You guys have reference books n comics and toy variations galore, so i come to you.

heroic_decepticon
23rd August 2012, 03:02 AM
Do any of you collect vintage Transformer model kits?

I'm helping a friend look, but has any one ever seen the Sunstreaker and Red Alert model kits pictured in this catalogue (http://tfsource.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/xpri06.jpg)?

Apparently, they have been released in Australia.

Thanks for reading.

~ HD

griffin
23rd August 2012, 11:11 AM
That's news to me... Looks interesting. I'd be keen to find those if they ended up being released (looks like a promo catalogue?).
The only Gen1 model kits I ever saw were these ones (http://ww.toycollectors.com.au/blog/390.jpg)... :p

...oh, and those jigsaw puzzle ones too. ;)

heroic_decepticon
23rd August 2012, 08:02 PM
That's news to me... Looks interesting. I'd be keen to find those if they ended up being released (looks like a promo catalogue?).
The only Gen1 model kits I ever saw were these ones (http://ww.toycollectors.com.au/blog/390.jpg)... :p

...oh, and those jigsaw puzzle ones too. ;)

hi Griffin, thanks for the thoughts.

That is indeed a 1980s promo catalogue of things that were proposed for release. Apparently the kits were never released (in the USA or UK), but there were rumours that they made it to AU (some AU person saying he's seen it).

So just helping a UK friend find out whether any one of you have indeed seen them or have them.

jazzcomp
24th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Is there any difference between the wst waves?
except for the packaging of course.

wave 1 vs wave 2.5 starscream
wave 1 vs wave 2.5 soundwave
wave 2 GTF 06 Convoy Anime Version vs wave 2.5 CSV Convoy Container (anime trailer)

megatron wave 2/prime vs the VSX giftset versions

griffin
24th August 2012, 11:55 AM
Wave 2.5 was mostly just re-release figures from earlier waves. It did include a new mould (Rodimus) and two recolours (Thundercracker & Anime Optimus), but each of those three were short-packed or Chases... while all the re-released figures were mass released.
This page (http://www.soundwavesoblivion.com/japanesewstf.html) details the ones that were straight re-releases, and the ones that were different colours. Plus has some pics to look at too.
(my favourite site for toy list archives)

kup
24th August 2012, 12:53 PM
When are the latest issues of MTMTE and RID released?

SuspectimusPrime
25th August 2012, 02:21 AM
When are the latest issues of MTMTE and RID released?

Both are released once every 4 weeks on a Wednesday, alternating every two weeks.

MTMTE #8 just came this Wednesday, so it's next release is 19th September. RID's next issue is #9 and comes out on 5th September.

Verno
27th August 2012, 02:45 PM
In the G1 cartoon Universe, can the Matrix grant life to new Transformers?

The Comics are seemingly rife with the Matrix being able to do this, but I can't find any reference to the Matrix being able to do this in the toon. It seems the only thing that can give new life to a TF is Vector Sigma, as we see in The Key to Vector Sigma parts 1 and 2.

If VS is the only place where a new TF life can be created, why is it not a more heavily guarded place? Surely if you control it, you control the number of troops that can be created and thus over time through sheer weight of numbers you would win the war?

UltraMarginal
27th August 2012, 03:30 PM

The Comics are seemingly rife with the Matrix being able to do this, but I can't find any reference to the Matrix being able to do this in the toon. It seems the only thing that can give new life to a TF is Vector Sigma, as we see in The Key to Vector Sigma parts 1 and 2.

If VS is the only place where a new TF life can be created, why is it not a more heavily guarded place? Surely if you control it, you control the number of troops that can be created and thus over time through sheer weight of numbers you would win the war?

I don't know of a time in the G1 cartoon continuity where the Matrix granted life, however, just because it never happened on screen doesn't mean it couldn't. most of the life creation episodes were before the movie I think...

SuspectimusPrime
27th August 2012, 06:49 PM

I don't know of a time in the G1 cartoon continuity where the Matrix granted life, however, just because it never happened on screen doesn't mean it couldn't. most of the life creation episodes were before the movie I think...

Don't recall Rodimus using Matrix being used like it was in the Bay movies - whipping it out and jabbing into a dead Transformer or bringing it near machinery to create life. In Season 3, there were some badly written life-creation episodes; Metroplex being built through hard work; Grimlock building the Technobots from parts within Unicron's head; and then there were fallen Transformers being brought back to life by the Quintessons.

I guess that's like why didn't Optimus Prime in Season 1 send all his Autobots to crush the Decepticons in one fell swoop, when he had the military advantages of a proper base of operations, fleshling allies, and a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio superiority in numbers :p

Verno
27th August 2012, 07:00 PM
I guess that's like why didn't Optimus Prime in Season 1 send all his Autobots to crush the Decepticons in one fell swoop, when he had the military advantages of a proper base of operations, fleshling allies, and a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio superiority in numbers :p

What do you think the numbers of each force would have been at this stage?

Trent
27th August 2012, 09:24 PM

Because then Hasbro wouldn't have been able to drag this particular toy commercial out for 3 and a bit seasons and 1 movie!;)

Think about it :)

SuspectimusPrime
27th August 2012, 11:58 PM
What do you think the numbers of each force would have been at this stage?

The Ark Autobots was a pretty big force - 15+ full sized transformers? - The Autobot cars + Blaster/Perceptor and not including the minibots. Somebody will correct me on that one :) There was a few episodes where Optimus had the Autobots all lined up outside the base before battle to do group transformations and I always thought that was a overwhelming force :p

As for Megatron's forces, he only had the Seekers (3), Soundwave (1), the Cassettes (4), and Reflector (3) - 5 full sized transformers and 7 half sized. This was before the Constructicons came around which were built by Meg's Decepticons in the G1 Cartoon, and don't recall how they came about in the US Comics.

griffin
28th August 2012, 01:45 AM
Consistencies with plot devices in the Gen1 cartoon was almost non-existent. The "bible" they put together was more for the characters (which was usually consistent), and some basic concepts.
The Constructicons' origin is one example of contradiction (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Constructicon_%28G1%29#Origin_inconsistency) - they were noted as existing millions of years ago because they were shown to be building Megatron, but in a different episode they were shown to be turned into Decepticons by Megatron, while millions of years later they were built by Megatron on Earth.

The creation of characters on the cartoon was another element of contradiction, even after they introduced the Matrix. Some were scratch-built on Earth (or Unicron) and just come to life, and some were built on Cybertron and given life by Vector Sigma. There actually weren't too many characters brought to life in the cartoon... the majority just appear in an episode as if they were always around.

In the comic it was more of a Creation Matrix (later becoming the essence of Primus), while in the cartoon is was more of a Leadership Matrix (holding archived memories/wisdom of previous Primes).
So even though it didn't specifically say anywhere that it couldn't create life in the Cartoon, it's usage in the cartoon suggests it was more like a recording/depository device... so really it absorbed (wisdom), rather than "gave" (life).

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th August 2012, 10:46 AM
In the G1 cartoon Universe, can the Matrix grant life to new Transformers?Yes, but only if it's convenient to the plot-of-the-week.:p
Or maybe not. AFAIK the mysterious powers of the MacGuffin Matrix (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Creation_Matrix#Generation_1_cartoon_continuity) so far have been limited to blowing up Unicron (but only after he's destroyed half of Cybertron), curing Hate Plagues, powering up Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime (and Scourge), acting as a substitute Key to Vector Sigma, and providing some crazy mind-trips through the memories of Autobot Leaders past.
If you wanted a vaguely-canonically-plausible excuse for it being able to grant life, you could use its mystic link to Vector Sigma as giving it sporadic life-granting powers.
The Comics are seemingly rife with the Matrix being able to do this, but I can't find any reference to the Matrix being able to do this in the toon. It seems the only thing that can give new life to a TF is Vector Sigma, as we see in The Key to Vector Sigma parts 1 and 2.Yes and no. There are a few TFs (the Dinobots, possibly the Constructicons, the Technobots, Metroplex, Trypticon) who are created without it.
The most plausible (in-universe) explanation for these exceptions is that the need for Vector Sigma in creating TF life is merely a widely-held myth, and that the Autobots and Decepticons have a selective amnesia-esque programming glitch concerning the creation of the Dinobots (and/or are ashamed of them and thus prefer not to mention them). Or else that for some reason city-bots don't need Vector Sigma to be given life, the Dinobots' low intellect and myriad personality problems is due to their being brought online without it, and that the Technobots got some sort of Grimlock=super-genius/made-from-Unicron's remains Get-Out-of-Non-Sentience-Free card.

If VS is the only place where a new TF life can be created, why is it not a more heavily guarded place? Surely if you control it, you control the number of troops that can be created and thus over time through sheer weight of numbers you would win the war?This is just more fansplanation, but...
Until the events of The Key to Vector Sigma no-one seemed concerned with Vector Sigma - which kinda makes sense when you consider that Cybertron had been in a civil-war-induced energy shortage for most of the past few million years. Not much point making more warriors that you can't keep functioning. Especially since the Decepticons (i.e. Shockwave and his drones) already more or less had control over Cybertron, making getting to Vector Sigma hard for the Autobots and unnecessary for the Decepticons. After the Decepticons started shipping energon from Earth the energon shortage wasn't such a problem, but they still had control over Cybertron and arguably had bigger fish to fry what with the battles on Earth. Similarly, not only was Vector Sigma heavily guarded, but Alpha Trion had the Key.
For the Autobots to use it to make more soldiers they would have had to 1: make their way to Decepticon-occupied Cybertron, 2: find Alpha Trion, 3: fight their way past both the Decepticon forces on-planet (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cybertron_Guard) and the Vector Sigma security robots (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Centurion_droid) to reach Vector Sigma, all the while lugging around the empty body shells for the new Autobots to be born into.
For the 'cons to use it to army-build, they'd 1: need to create and transport the bodies, 2: need to find Alpha Trion and 'persuade' him to help, and 3: have to fight their way to VS (remember that they didn't know the Key would give them control over the warrior drones beforehand). When you consider that they already held Cybertron, had plenty of soldiers already available on Cybertron, and were slowly plundering Earth's energy (albeit with frequent setbacks) it's kind of a waste of effort.

Verno
28th August 2012, 11:39 AM
Cheers lads, I'm enjoying the ideas.

I guess with my writing (and attempts to use Canonical events as much as possible) I try to find a rule that best fits the story 'most of the time'. Recently I've been doing origin stuff, with Primus, Unicron, The One, the 13 etc etc, and the creation of life has been a curly one to say the least. I'm trying to determine a set of rules for my own Universe that don't get contradicted further down the line.

What do you see Cybertron's population as at different points through TF history? IE, the Golden Age, throughout the Great War and so on. What sort of troop numbers would Prime and Megatron have under their command when they reawaken on Earth in 1984 and make contact with Cybertron? In the thousands? Millions? I'd love to hear some thoughts on that.

Starscream77
28th August 2012, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if MP Soundwave will receive a local release ?
Torn whether to pay $170 on BBTS or wait for local if its coming ?

gantz
28th August 2012, 04:34 PM
I'd like to think so!

Hursticon
29th August 2012, 05:23 PM

I'd like to think so!

Nothing has been "Officially" said yet, but I'm willing to bet hardcore that there'll be a localised-Hasbro release down the pipeline; The prospects of repaints of the mold & the various Minions set to be issued, would be a lure far to great for Hasbro not to bite IMO. ;):cool:

Verno
29th August 2012, 05:32 PM
Even I'm considering getting him, that's how good he looks!

Hursticon
29th August 2012, 05:59 PM
Even I'm considering getting him, that's how good he looks!

Dude, I'm seriously throwing an internet "Bro-Hug" at you right now! :D
Do it dude, he's going to be bloody awesome - MP Mini-Cassettes too! :cool:

Tober
29th August 2012, 06:01 PM

Anime Export is still listing for aprox $136 plus shipping, if you want to order from Japan and ship day of release. EMS it could arrive before X-Mas, SAL around mid January.

It will probably get an exclusive local release, but could be anywhere from $100 to $200... and be about a year away... something about scalpers...

Verno
29th August 2012, 06:26 PM
Dude, I'm seriously throwing an internet "Bro-Hug" at you right now! :D
Do it dude, he's going to be bloody awesome - MP Mini-Cassettes too! :cool:

Haha, yeah it was the Cassettes that sold it for me. Having spent so long writing Ravage's story, as well as a Mosaic for Soundwave, I feel closer to them than any other G1 character.

If TRU get him here in Oz, I'll snavell one up.

GoktimusPrime
29th August 2012, 08:20 PM
IMO $170 is a fair (but expensive) price for MP Soundwave considering that the RRP is 16590JPY ($204). But TakaraTOMY's MP RRPs are pretty expensive, and it is possible that a later local Hasbro release may be cheaper. Alternatively, if you have the means, the Amazon exclusive Soundwave comes with extra Energon cubes and pre ordering gives a 27% discount ($148). Ditto Amazon MP Sideswipe - comes with more show-accurate chrome pile drivers; the toy will retail for 6090JPY but the pre order earlybird discount brings it down to 4436JPY ($54).

Odds are Hasbro will make their own version and it will come out here. But given the steep RRPs of Japanese MPs, the way I see it is like this:
1) Will I feel regret if Hasbro doesn't release their own version in AU stores?
2) If Yes, purchase JP version.
3) If No, skip JP version and hope for a Hasbro version.

Starscream77
29th August 2012, 08:31 PM
Score!!! My wife has ordered me one for Xmas plus MP Sideswipe, happy days!!!!!!

Trent
29th August 2012, 10:17 PM
Its funny, Soundwave is probably the most hyped MP since MP-01, and he is awesome. The prospect of all those casstes is great! But I can't seem to find the desire to own it.

Strange. :confused::confused:

Maybe if it gets a local release... and goes on sale.

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2012, 11:21 AM
Score!!! My wife has ordered me one for Xmas plus MP Sideswipe, happy days!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/highfive.gif

Its funny, Soundwave is probably the most hyped MP since MP-01, and he is awesome. The prospect of all those casstes is great! But I can't seem to find the desire to own it.

Strange. :confused::confused:

Maybe if it gets a local release... and goes on sale.
If you're not that urgently keen on Soundwave then you might as well wait for a local release. Odds are it will happen and you'll probably end up getting it at a cheaper price and laugh at the rest of us sods who paid our "impatience tax." :D

Starscream77
31st August 2012, 03:10 PM
Hi all
Where would be the cheapest place / site to get some of the previous Masterpieces ?

Tober
31st August 2012, 03:22 PM
Hi all
Where would be the cheapest place / site to get some of the previous Masterpieces ?

You'll need to be more specific. Anything pre-MP-10 will be more difficult to find cheap, you may be forced onto eBay... or this place's Sales section. Maybe even TFW2005's trades sections if you're feeling lucky.

Also, Takara or Hasbro versions?

kurdt_the_goat
31st August 2012, 06:55 PM
This grumpy old man is selling a nice MP-03 Starscream for a steal of a price on this very forum! (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=14308)

Trent
31st August 2012, 07:40 PM

If you're not that urgently keen on Soundwave then you might as well wait for a local release. Odds are it will happen and you'll probably end up getting it at a cheaper price and laugh at the rest of us sods who paid our "impatience tax." :D

And laugh I shall! :D

kup
31st August 2012, 11:32 PM

Or you may pay up a $100 for what is essentially a mass of Hasbro gray and a dull flat blue with inferior plastic ;)

In all seriousness, you are right. Tomy Masterpieces are not at the same quality level as they were with Takara and on top of that, they have severely marked up the prices to silly levels. However it does appear that MP Soundwave may not be as expensive as the newer MP Prime and Starscream.

SuspectimusPrime
1st September 2012, 06:31 PM
Which one is awesomer? :)

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/141/wheeljack-036.jpg

M-bot
1st September 2012, 06:46 PM
Which one is awesomer? :)

*snip!*

The Hasbro one, with the proviso that it has some Reprolabels applied. It's a stunning set, but if I recall correctly, it won't match the Takara release.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/7905082986_2082a08b6a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905082986/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905082986/) by M-bot2011 (http://www.flickr.com/people/m-botstransformers/)http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/7905083454_38ff939a22_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905083454/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905083454/) by M-bot2011 (http://www.flickr.com/people/m-botstransformers/)http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8035/7905084380_4525f7eaf3_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905084380/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-botstransformers/7905084380/) by M-bot2011 (http://www.flickr.com/people/m-botstransformers/), on Flickr

GoktimusPrime
1st September 2012, 07:43 PM
I have United Wheeljack and I've seen Generations Wheeljack IRL... while United Wheeljack is nice, I don't think he's worth paying above RRP for. Both versions are really nice, so just get whichever you can find for cheaper. I wouldn't recommend paying above $30 for either version.

I paid $37 for my Utd Wheeljack because at the time I just couldn't find Generations Wheeljack anywhere. Then a few weeks later I found Generations Wheeljack at my local Kmart for $23. Had I known that was going to happen I would have passed Utd Wheeljack for sure.

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st September 2012, 09:21 PM
I prefer the Hasbro version myself.

SuspectimusPrime
3rd September 2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I've got Generations Wheeljack already, and was considering getting a second as I may look at customizing one into Marlboor Wheeljack in the distant future (or possibly just have sweet Reprolabels on like M-Bot's :p). If there's no differences in plastic quality or QC standards, I'll probably go for the cheaper one :)

5FDP
3rd September 2012, 09:57 AM
Generations Wheeljack is the best of the two IMO also.

spiderken17
5th September 2012, 04:53 PM
What is the deal with G1 Bruticus having either silver parts or grey parts? Is one lot more valuable than the other?

Yukitora
7th September 2012, 06:53 PM
The jap toys normally come in shinee chrome bits.

M-bot
10th September 2012, 09:28 PM
I've heard references in a few places to Perceptor having/using a sniper rifle-type weapon. I'm only familiar with the G1 iteration of Perceptor and I don't recall him ever using this kind of weapon. Is my memory awry, or is it from a different iteration?:confused:

Paulbot
10th September 2012, 09:35 PM
I've heard references in a few places to Perceptor having/using a sniper rifle-type weapon. I'm only familiar with the G1 iteration of Perceptor and I don't recall him ever using this kind of weapon. Is my memory awry, or is it from a different iteration?:confused:

It's from the IDW comics, the All Hail Megatron series in particular. Check out some scans here (http://tilallaremine.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/perceptor/)

M-bot
10th September 2012, 09:42 PM
Perfect! Thanks Paulbot :)

theheretic
10th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Might put this here as it was a bit off topic in the thread I asked it in before. How/where do you find preTF/diaclones? I've always wanted triple changer (not to mention a few others) but never known how to go about finding one.

SuspectimusPrime
11th September 2012, 01:46 AM

You may also get that sniper rifle in plastic (http://shop.igeartoys.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123) for your RTS Perceptor ;)

spiderken17
11th September 2012, 07:25 AM
I have a couple of questions
1. Is there an official remake of Predaking?
2. What is a reasonable price to pay for one?
Cheers, Ken

Sky Shadow
11th September 2012, 07:57 AM
Ken - there are two main Predaking reissues - the first was in his traditional toy colours: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-G1-HUGE-COLLECTION-RE-ISSUE-PREDAKING-BOXED-COMPLETE-/170907358373?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionF igures_JN&hash=item27cadf54a5

The more recent one had gold instead of yellow: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takara-Tomy-2010-Generation-1-Transformers-Decepticon-Predacon-Predaking-Figure-/120806199389?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item1c209c505d

Those two auctions should give you a good idea of price - this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Re-issue-Predaking-OVP-MISB-/190708775673?pt=Figuren&hash=item2c6720faf9) went for about $150 shipped - you should expect to pay between that and $200 shipped.

Yukitora
11th September 2012, 09:15 AM
Just wondering... at what point or where did Sunstreaker become an artist. It has always baffled me.
:confused:

spiderken17
11th September 2012, 10:13 AM
Ken - there are two main Predaking reissues - the first was in his traditional toy colours: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-G1-HUGE-COLLECTION-RE-ISSUE-PREDAKING-BOXED-COMPLETE-/170907358373?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionF igures_JN&hash=item27cadf54a5

The more recent one had gold instead of yellow: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takara-Tomy-2010-Generation-1-Transformers-Decepticon-Predacon-Predaking-Figure-/120806199389?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item1c209c505d

Those two auctions should give you a good idea of price - this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Re-issue-Predaking-OVP-MISB-/190708775673?pt=Figuren&hash=item2c6720faf9) went for about $150 shipped - you should expect to pay between that and $200 shipped.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

GoktimusPrime
11th September 2012, 02:32 PM
That's a really good price considering that the 1st Predaking reissue originally retailed for 14000JPY ($173). :D <thumbs.up> :cool:

theheretic
11th September 2012, 03:18 PM
How can I tell if I'm buying a vintage G1 fireflight and Slingshot loose figures or KO's?

jazzcomp
11th September 2012, 04:38 PM
Are transformer toy prices in europe comparable/equivalent to US?

M-bot
11th September 2012, 06:10 PM
You may also get that sniper rifle in plastic (http://shop.igeartoys.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123) for your RTS Perceptor ;)

Funny you should link to iGear - I've got not-Ratchet and not-Ironhide on the way, both of which come with sniper rifles. Here's hoping they fit RTS Perceptor!;):)

Starscream77
12th September 2012, 08:37 PM
Speaking of igear, what are their MP figures like? As in are they same size, is the detail better/worse/same etc

Sky Shadow
13th September 2012, 03:29 AM
Are transformer toy prices in europe comparable/equivalent to US?

I'm in England, and with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, Transformers are cheaper here. Cost of living in general is cheaper here, but what we don't appreciate in Australia is that pay rates are also very good in Aus, which is one of the reasons why toys cost more at retail.

5FDP
13th September 2012, 08:49 AM
A couple of years ago several of my single friends flocked to the UK because pay rates were a lot higher there than what they were here. Local retail prices for Transformers hasn't change all that much in the same time frame.

jazzcomp
13th September 2012, 09:17 AM
I'm in England, and with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, Transformers are cheaper here. Cost of living in general is cheaper here, but what we don't appreciate in Australia is that pay rates are also very good in Aus, which is one of the reasons why toys cost more at retail.

A couple of years ago several of my single friends flocked to the UK because pay rates were a lot higher there than what they were here. Local retail prices for Transformers hasn't change all that much in the same time frame.
If you just look at pay rates, it might seem good and justify the higher cost. But generally, I don't see the buying power of the higher pay rates. House prices are ridiculous, cars, rent, and others I don't think offset the high(er) pay rates.

As long as items+shipping is cheaper overseas (maybe even with gst), it doesn't make sense to buy locally. It just perpetuates the same culture if you want to keep it that way.

I asked about the european prices since I might be checking ebay and local stores there since some US sellers don't want to ship to Oz.

Sky Shadow
13th September 2012, 05:35 PM

Pay rates in Australia have been better than the UK for a long time, 5FDP, even when the pound was stronger. This is how they stand now: http://www.bobinoz.com/blog/10153/australian-and-uk-salaries-compared-part-two-2012/ Minimum wages are also much higher in Aus than the UK, which is one of the reasons for higher retail prices, because Aussie companies have to pay the shop staff. And there's a UK wage freeze now, so the gulf between Aus and UK is likely to continue to grow.

SuspectimusPrime
14th September 2012, 01:40 AM
Has anyone had any issues with their Device Label Soundwave?

I have not transformed mine in a while, and have kept it on display in robot mode. The other day I tried transforming it but the head will not go all the way down as so it is possible to close the cover piece over :( Tried unscrewing the back to open it but its clipped on as well, so I did not progress any further.

5FDP
14th September 2012, 12:17 PM
Pay rates in Australia have been better than the UK for a long time, 5FDP, even when the pound was stronger. This is how they stand now: http://www.bobinoz.com/blog/10153/australian-and-uk-salaries-compared-part-two-2012/ Minimum wages are also much higher in Aus than the UK, which is one of the reasons for higher retail prices, because Aussie companies have to pay the shop staff. And there's a UK wage freeze now, so the gulf between Aus and UK is likely to continue to grow.

I don't know what to tell you. We all worked in the same industry and still do - Telecommunications, and they relocated to the UK to perform the exact same roles but at a higher pay. I would have made the move myself if it weren't for the fact that I'm married and had a child on the way at the time. Put it this way - they wouldn't have relocated all the way to the UK if they were going to be worse off financially ;) I guess you just have to be in the right industry.

The last part of my comment was a mere observation based on what I have paid for Transformers in the last 10 years of collecting and not necessarily in relation to the first part of my comment.

GoktimusPrime
14th September 2012, 12:53 PM
My brother works in the UK and he gets phenomenonally fantastic pay over there (he's in the finance sector).

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Has anyone had any issues with their Device Label Soundwave?

I have not transformed mine in a while, and have kept it on display in robot mode. The other day I tried transforming it but the head will not go all the way down as so it is possible to close the cover piece over :( Tried unscrewing the back to open it but its clipped on as well, so I did not progress any further.

Nope, but then he's been sitting in his box all this time. If I pass by it, I'll have a look see.

Anybody know what animal/monster Repugnus is supposed to be? I just realised that he is an early version of the Botcon drone bugs Dirge and co.

GoktimusPrime
14th September 2012, 02:02 PM
Eehhh... some kind of insectoid/buglike monster... thing. :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th September 2012, 03:26 PM
Eehhh... some kind of insectoid/buglike monster... thing. :p

Aaah, I see. I thought it might have been based on a known monster, you like a chupakabra or something. Obviously not.

SuspectimusPrime
14th September 2012, 08:47 PM
Aaah, I see. I thought it might have been based on a known monster, you like a chupakabra or something. Obviously not.

That's exactly what we need - Transformers that turn into real-life make-believe monsters :p Or even Star Wars-like monsters? Potential? :p

Paulbot
14th September 2012, 08:59 PM
That's exactly what we need - Transformers that turn into real-life make-believe monsters :p Or even Star Wars-like monsters? Potential? :p

Look up Vintage Horror Movie Series (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Vintage_Horror_Movie_Series) on TFwiki sometime. :)

liegeprime
14th September 2012, 09:06 PM

A Gryphon, Kukulcan, Hydra would be excellent - especially the Gryphon.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they'd make a proper Generations version of each of the Terrorcons - forming a modern day Abominus would be simply , WOW!

Hun-gurrr - 2 headed Dragon
Cutthroat - a Harpy
Sinnetwin - an Orthus
Rippersnapper - a land walking Jaws :D
Blot - dunno what it is , maybe a sasquatch?, or as the Tfwiki says - a NOSE monster heheeheh

SuspectimusPrime
14th September 2012, 11:22 PM
Look up Vintage Horror Movie Series (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Vintage_Horror_Movie_Series) on TFwiki sometime. :)

Lol. If those were intended to be Decepticons, then they need to make an Autobot Scooby-doo :)

SuspectimusPrime
15th September 2012, 12:12 AM
A Gryphon, Kukulcan, Hydra would be excellent - especially the Gryphon.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they'd make a proper Generations version of each of the Terrorcons - forming a modern day Abominus would be simply , WOW!

Hun-gurrr - 2 headed Dragon
Cutthroat - a Harpy
Sinnetwin - an Orthus
Rippersnapper - a land walking Jaws :D
Blot - dunno what it is , maybe a sasquatch?, or as the Tfwiki says - a NOSE monster heheeheh

That would be awesome! Somebody (http://www.fullmetalhero.com/content/new-tfc-starcats-not-abominus-design-sketches-3710/) needs to pick up the pace and bring that to fruition! :):)
If Cutthroat was to be Harpy, then would he/she be a femcon as well? :confused:
Blot - I always saw him as a monster that hunts through trapping its prey: Crab-like claws, a shiny black 'Alien' like head suitable for hiding, small legs that can't run fast :p

GoktimusPrime
15th September 2012, 08:35 AM
Nope. G1 Cutthroat is a kinda generic looking bird monster... thing. In any case, all canonical material refers to him as a male (e.g. tech specs etc.) and his G1 voice actor (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tony_St._James) was male.

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th September 2012, 10:17 AM
That would be awesome! Somebody (http://www.fullmetalhero.com/content/new-tfc-starcats-not-abominus-design-sketches-3710/) needs to pick up the pace and bring that to fruition! :):)
Blot - I always saw him as a monster that hunts through trapping its prey: Crab-like claws, a shiny black 'Alien' like head suitable for hiding, small legs that can't run fast :pI kind of like the idea of Cutthroat being fem-bot-ised a la Botcon Animated Drag Strip. Give him/her a pair of dual energon swords and you've got a sweet IDW Arcee homage too.
Of course, they could just make him a roc and then the gender thing is moot.

Blot would most likely be a gargoyle IMO, though the SG idea of an ogre works too. His bio gives him wall-climbing abilities so I'd go for gargoyle myself.

theheretic
16th September 2012, 07:37 PM
Hey guys. Not entirely TF related but I need an image hosting site that preferably works via iPhone so I can upload images and then share them here. Also while I'm going, how can I thumbnail images I share instead of displaying the whole full sized image. I don't get on the computer much and it would be much easier if I could do it all from my phone. Thanks guys

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th September 2012, 08:02 PM
Dunno, don't touch apple stuff myself.

As for Blot, I always saw him as a gorilla monster. But a gargoyle works for me. I like the Terrorcons a lot and would love to see an awesome update!

deadonarrival
17th September 2012, 01:16 AM
Hey guys. Not entirely TF related but I need an image hosting site that preferably works via iPhone so I can upload images and then share them here. Also while I'm going, how can I thumbnail images I share instead of displaying the whole full sized image. I don't get on the computer much and it would be much easier if I could do it all from my phone. Thanks guys

Photobucket have an iPhone app that is fairy easy to use. not sure about thumbnailing things though

UltraMarginal
17th September 2012, 01:01 PM

I use a photobucket app on my android phone, deadonarrival says ther's a similar thing for iPhone, so I'd suggest giving that a go.

thumbnails, I'm not so sure about. doing thumbnails here seems to be the result of uploading directly to the forum which then uses up Griffins server space.

GoktimusPrime
17th September 2012, 04:50 PM
With photobucket, just add th_ before the name of the image file. So for example if blah2.photobucket.com/blahblah/blah/blahblahblah.jpg gives you the full sized image, just change it to blah2.photobucket.com/blahblah/blah/th_blahblahblah.jpg and that'll display the thumbnail instead. Whenever I quote someone's post with a full sized photobucket image, I add the th_ to the file name so I'm not quoting the same image in it's full size again.

spiderken17
17th September 2012, 07:55 PM
A couple of years ago i got a transformers character guide for my mate published by Dreamwave. It was all the characters from A-K, Dreamwave then went bust and IDW took over and i got him the IDW guide L-Z.
Does anyone know the exact title of them?
Cheers, Ken

Paulbot
17th September 2012, 08:19 PM
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye
(http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_More_than_Meets_the_Eye)
(no connection to the current comic series with the same name)

Verno
17th September 2012, 08:38 PM
If I wanted to read the G2 Comics, what would be the best way to go about it?

liegeprime
17th September 2012, 08:55 PM

Get the TPB - there are only 2. G2 has only 12 issues and is quite self contained so even if you only have peripheral knowledge of the G1 Marvel run it's not necessary that youve read it all. You just need to be familiar with G1 characters.

The TPB titles are
Dark Designs
Rage in Heaven

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/AnimatedBlackRodimusDarkDesignsRageinHeavenTPB.jpg

Paulbot
17th September 2012, 08:56 PM

IDW should reprint those comics soon, since they just reprinted the prelude.

spiderken17
17th September 2012, 09:08 PM
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye
(http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_More_than_Meets_the_Eye)
(no connection to the current comic series with the same name)

Thats them. Any idea where i can get a copy of Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the TPB at a reasonable price?

liegeprime
17th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Thats them. Any idea where i can get a copy of Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the TPB at a reasonable price?

There used to be in Kings comics in the city, TPB vol1 and 2 , well ive only spotted vol 2 there, but that's been ages ago in the old section. Best bet now is by ebay coz the reprints have been out for quite some time now. Though Im not sure if the price will be "reasonable "... sorry I know that doesnt help a lot.

spiderken17
17th September 2012, 09:47 PM
There used to be in Kings comics in the city, TPB vol1 and 2 , well ive only spotted vol 2 there, but that's been ages ago in the old section. Best bet now is by ebay coz the reprints have been out for quite some time now. Though Im not sure if the price will be "reasonable "... sorry I know that doesnt help a lot.

Thanks. I asked at Kings the other day, they don't have any. I have found some on some book selling sites from around the world but would rather buy sthem from Australia if possible.

Verno
17th September 2012, 09:54 PM
Get the TPB - there are only 2. G2 has only 12 issues and is quite self contained so even if you only have peripheral knowledge of the G1 Marvel run it's not necessary that youve read it all. You just need to be familiar with G1 characters.

The TPB titles are
Dark Designs
Rage in Heaven

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/AnimatedBlackRodimusDarkDesignsRageinHeavenTPB.jpg

Cheers Liege. Would eBay be my best bet for these you recon?

liegeprime
17th September 2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I asked at Kings the other day, they don't have any. I have found some on some book selling sites from around the world but would rather buy sthem from Australia if possible.

guess it ran out already... you could try also Amazon.com. Ive only bought from there a few times, so far haven't had any trouble, coz I have had a look at ebay listings right now and there's only 1 - vol 1 and not available to ship to Australia :(

Paulbot
17th September 2012, 10:03 PM
guess it ran out already... you could try also Amazon.com. Ive only bought from there a few times, so far haven't had any trouble, coz I have had a look at ebay listings right now and there's only 1 - vol 1 and not available to ship to Australia :(

The hardcover editions of both are in stock at Bookdespository: book 1 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Simon-Furman/9781840235272) book 2 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Simon-Furman/9781840235777)

Book 1 is also available in softcover (http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-Designs-Simon-Furman/9781840235258)

Gouki
18th September 2012, 11:21 AM
So why do Power Core Combiners get so much crap? Sure, not every design is a winner but there's some good stuff in there (thought, arguably what they should have done was made it a Universe subline).

And, le gasp, the gimmicks are fun.

GoktimusPrime
18th September 2012, 11:57 AM
Well, things I'm not overly fond of about PCCs include:

+ The baby blue connector parts. Why not black?

+ The drones are just uninspiring. Legends Class ROTF Devastator is far better engineered and enjoyable than any PCC 5-pack. Makes them feel more like a Power Rangers Zord than a "Transformers gestalt." Look at Brimstone... he's ONE Dinobot with four Dino-drone accessories. How much cooler would it be if each of the limbs were say a Legion Class sized or Mini-Con sized Transformer - robot mode, vehicle mode, limb mode. Then suddenly instead of four accessories, you have what feels like four extra Transformers -- what feels like a combining team of Dinobots!

+ The Mini-Cons have less independent play value than previous Mini-Cons. Take Universe Overcharge (the taxi). He's not the best engineered Mini-Con, in fact, he's rather sub-part, but he's a fully independent toy. He's a robot who can transform into a taxi -- beep beep, let's go pick up passengers and get lost to charge them more fare money! Chopster transforms into Smoulder's axe or gun or Smoulder's breastplate. Okay, what value does this toy have without Smoulder or any other larger Transformer to hold/operate him? The PCC Mini-Cons really feel more like accessories for another Transformer, rather than being a "proper" Transformer in their own right. They're more like G1 Nebulans; no matter how nice they may seem, they're pretty useless without their primary partner. I would buy a toy like Smoulder on its own. I would not buy a toy like Chopster by itself. Overcharge on the other hand I _did_ buy on his own! I don't think I've even ever bothered to Powerlink him to a larger Transformer yet. I could, but I don't have to -- I can enjoy the toy on its own without the Powerlinking gimmick. I can't enjoy Chopster all that much without being able to hook him up w/ Smoulder.

+ Price. Their original RRPs were a bit on the expensive... IIRC the 2 pack commanders originally sold for about $25-30(?) -- the cost of a Deluxe, and the 5 packs for $35-40(?), $10-15 shy of the cost of a Voyager. A lot of them have since become cheaper, but their initial RRPs made them arguably poor value for money.

griffin
18th September 2012, 12:00 PM
I think the lack of story behind it was a factor that made it difficult for fans to embrace it, especially as they were essentially new characters. (would have been better to have them as existing characters who gained drones or Minicons, similar to the Headmaster or Actionmaster plot devices).
And since the drones were non-transforming, with minimal articulation, the combiners were a bit flimsy.

I thought the concept was great, but the small size prevented better engineering of the figures and drones.

Trent
18th September 2012, 12:18 PM
Cheers Liege. Would eBay be my best bet for these you recon?

Yeah. Maybe look on amazon.

And that is an excellent comic series too. Easily my favourite.

UltraMarginal
18th September 2012, 01:02 PM
So why do Power Core Combiners get so much crap? Sure, not every design is a winner but there's some good stuff in there (thought, arguably what they should have done was made it a Universe subline).

I am going to mostly echo Gok and Griffin but here goes...

The combined modes were a bit average, no articulation past shoulders and hips and most of that articulation was hard to use due to feet being awkward. once you got them to stand up in any stance, that was about it, for me anyway.

The use of similar names to classic characters or squads when there was very little representation otherwise rubbed my oldskool G1 ness the wrong way.

Bright blue connectors.

expensive, $40 for the 5 pack was ridiculous. I felt a bit gypped after spending $20 on a 5 pack.

primary robots were OK, but one of the two modes tended to be sacrificed in favour of the combined mode.

combined mode of the main robots was generally very sturdy and well designed.

clear plastic oddball minicon partner things haven't ever really appealed to me.

I think as a proof of concept for the connection technology they were fine but otherwise not a great toy.

Next to the High quality generations and some of the better movie toys being released at the time, they didn't fit in the money budget or the care factor budget.

I do hope that the positive elements of their combiner tech are built on for future toy lines though.

SuspectimusPrime
18th September 2012, 01:13 PM

I actually quite enjoyed the PCC line.

Granted they had no back stories, but a few of them used G1 names, of characters that would be quite down the line in the list of Hasbro's priorities to make into a Deluxe sized fig. I usually have them standing with Classics toys :p Their toyish colour schemes also appealed to me :o The toys on their own would never be worth the RRP, but I was luckily able to gt all of them through Woolies by chance. At $12-14(?) per 2-pack, I found them worth their price.

I agree with most of Goki's comments, however I actually prefer my minicons to be accessories for Deluxe+ sized toys :p Micromasters themselves never made sense to me story-wise - How is a tiny garishly coloured car suppose to be much of a disguise? Would have strongly preferred it for the minicon partners to not have been made of translucent plastic.

GoktimusPrime
18th September 2012, 02:11 PM
Micromasters themselves never made sense to me story-wise - How is a tiny garishly coloured car suppose to be much of a disguise?
Micromasters were cheap and fun toys to collect and play with! :D :cool: Storywise they always used good old mass shifting -- their vehicle modes were regular sized, but then they transformed into slightly-taller than human robots. :p And this appeared to be the case in both Anglophone and Japanese continuities.

The reality was that there was a recession in the late 1980s/early 90s and a lot of people were downsizing toys. Galoob released the popular Micromachines, so Hasbro followed suit with Micromasters; fun and affordable. As for the garish colours... it was leading into the early 1990s man. Look at the toys that came after and in G2 (and G.I. Joe) -- MUCH more garish! :D

Would have strongly preferred it for the minicon partners to not have been made of translucent plastic.
Yeah, they did that with the Arms Micron repaints (e.g. Fracas, Aimless etc.) which did make them look a bit better, but they were still accessoryformers with not much play value. When I got Fracas, for ages I barely touched it until after I finally got Generations Scourge! But without Scourge, he's a really dull toy. I have Aimless, but there's no Classicsverse or Prime Misfire to go with him, so to me he's still a really dull toy! Just as well these toys were freebies (w/ TF purchases)... cos I wouldn't pay to have any of them on their own.

kup
18th September 2012, 05:37 PM
I think the lack of story behind it was a factor that made it difficult for fans to embrace it, especially as they were essentially new characters. (would have been better to have them as existing characters who gained drones or Minicons, similar to the Headmaster or Actionmaster plot devices).
And since the drones were non-transforming, with minimal articulation, the combiners were a bit flimsy.

I thought the concept was great, but the small size prevented better engineering of the figures and drones.

I disagree. A good toy will sell regardless of fiction.

Look at FansProject Steelcore. That toy had a lot running against it by having an expensive price tag and an upstart online store that was unprepared for the demand volume. This toy is also not associated with any known fiction and a completely stand alone transforming robot that is not based on any known character with just a bit of unique Engrish fiction behind it.

However despite all that it sold well because it is a good and well crafted toy. There are even people who are demanding for more to be made.

A non-transforming robot example of good figures selling despite lack of fiction would be the Four Horse Men original designs such as their demons and Elephant warriors.

A good toy will sell itself. A 'not so good' toy requires more 'help' to move it along.

Starscream77
18th September 2012, 09:09 PM
I don't mind some of the PCCs, agree the Dinobots one is below average but the rest happily sit in my collection and my like may be tainted by the fact I got them for $10 each at the toy sales

Cat
18th September 2012, 09:18 PM
I think collector perception (and maybe that of some of the general parent factor) was a bit skewed with PCC: We're used to everything transforming into something else. If a drill-tank is there, it's an actual Transformer.

I think that if they'd have been actual Transformers, even the simplest conversion of standing them upright, we'd have viewed a 5-pack as containing 5 figures.

As it was, I think a lot of people viewed it as 1 figure and 4 accessories.

Thus making it less desirable and of less value to a buyer.

It became one overpriced scout, instead of one combiner.

SuspectimusPrime
18th September 2012, 10:26 PM
The reality was that there was a recession in the late 1980s/early 90s and a lot of people were downsizing toys.

The sad reality of Transformers production :( I wonder if the FOC line would have been drastically different if it were released 2 years ago along with the WFC line.

Yeah, they did that with the Arms Micron repaints (e.g. Fracas, Aimless etc.) which did make them look a bit better, but they were still accessoryformers with not much play value. When I got Fracas, for ages I barely touched it until after I finally got Generations Scourge! But without Scourge, he's a really dull toy. I have Aimless, but there's no Classicsverse or Prime Misfire to go with him, so to me he's still a really dull toy! Just as well these toys were freebies (w/ TF purchases)... cos I wouldn't pay to have any of them on their own.

I paid a cheap Deluxe's price for Fracas and Haywire and considered myself lucky :p Am very happy with these accessoryformers, considering the cost that a 3rd party producer (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/mastershooter-collectibles-targetmasters-series-2-174138/) would ask for them. Still in the market for a United Caliburst for Energon Slugslinger :D I liked the Grey/Black colour scheme they were going with, but Aimless is a bit disappointing.

Look at FansProject Steelcore. That toy had a lot running against it by having an expensive price tag and an upstart online store that was unprepared for the demand volume. This toy is also not associated with any known fiction and a completely stand alone transforming robot that is not based on any known character with just a bit of unique Engrish fiction behind it.

I can only see three positive points in this paragraph :D

I don't mind some of the PCCs, agree the Dinobots one is below average but the rest happily sit in my collection and my like may be tainted by the fact I got them for $10 each at the toy sales

I'm sure paying RRP+ would not have improved their likability? :p

Sky Shadow
19th September 2012, 06:09 AM
I disagree. A good toy will sell regardless of fiction.

However despite all that it sold well because it is a good and well crafted toy. There are even people who are demanding for more to be made.

A non-transforming robot example of good figures selling despite lack of fiction would be the Four Horse Men original designs such as their demons and Elephant warriors.

Kup, your examples are terrible - 'Steelcore' and the Four Horsemen toys have production runs so small that they're not even a blip on the number of Power Core Combiners that sold at retail. If Hasbro had only sold that many of each PCC then they would have cancelled Transformers as a toyline altogether.

kup
19th September 2012, 08:49 AM
Kup, your examples are terrible - 'Steelcore' and the Four Horsemen toys have production runs so small that they're not even a blip on the number of Power Core Combiners that sold at retail. If Hasbro had only sold that many of each PCC then they would have cancelled Transformers as a toyline altogether.

Perhaps but I still believe that a good toy will sell itself regardless of the fiction behind it or even production numbers - Crap toys would not sell well on their own regardless of the number produced.

It's not just other companies in which we have seen good toys sell without any real fiction or character recognition behind them. We have seen a fair few mainstream released Hasbro toys sell really well regardless of character recognition such as some of the non-movie ROTF toys and even some from DOTM line.

GoktimusPrime
19th September 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm sure paying RRP+ would not have improved their likability? :p
Indeed. I personally gauge the value of a toy according to its RRP, because that's what the average consumer would expect to pay. Of course any toy is better value if you can get it below RRP, but RRP is the 'standard' by which I think value should be measured against, because it's what HasTak sets and expects retailers to charge for those toys.

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st September 2012, 06:09 PM
Perhaps but I still believe that a good toy will sell itself regardless of the fiction behind it or even production numbers - Crap toys would not sell well on their own regardless of the number produced.

It's not just other companies in which we have seen good toys sell without any real fiction or character recognition behind them. We have seen a fair few mainstream released Hasbro toys sell really well regardless of character recognition such as some of the non-movie ROTF toys and even some from DOTM line.
I disagree on this. The non-movie ROTF toys were still under the name of "Transformers" and so they rode the wave of the movie line. They also had the same aesthetic as the other toys in the line. PCC didn't, they were a bit all over the place. I only have 2. Smo(u)lder beacuse I wanted to see what they were like (crap) and he was another evil 'rescue vehicle' and the Dinobots, coz they are DINOSAURS!

I suspect that in general retail there are 2 main factors that sell a toy.
1. It's license (story/fiction/character)
2. Price.

People will buy toys if it is a known character and they dont have to be good toys. Have a look at the Batman and Spiderman toys that came out for the recent movies. They were CRAP, especially the Batman ones. But they sold because of the license.

If a toy is cheap enough, then parents don't really care what it is, as long as Jr wants it. But of course cheap toys are generally not good ones.

Collectors will buy a good toy without any fiction behind it, but the general people won't.

Bidoofdude
21st September 2012, 07:10 PM
I have a question regarding G1s. Should I start big and get the major ones, working my way down in size/price/rarity etc, or should I work my way up, starting with minibots and such, then cars and so on? Which is more effective in the long run?

loophole
21st September 2012, 07:14 PM
I have a question regarding G1s. Should I start big and get the major ones, working my way down in size/price/rarity etc, or should I work my way up, starting with minibots and such, then cars and so on? Which is more effective in the long run?

Get whatever you want i would always suggest getting any stuff thats going to knocked off sooner that way you know you have an original and just keep an eye out for the good stuff, otherwise you might miss out on a sweet deal if your not collecting that specific transformer at the time...

Demonac
21st September 2012, 07:50 PM

Neither. Just be opportunistic. And expect it to be expensive & time consuming.

SuspectimusPrime
21st September 2012, 10:10 PM
Get whatever you want i would always suggest getting any stuff thats going to knocked off sooner that way you know you have an original and just keep an eye out for the good stuff, otherwise you might miss out on a sweet deal if your not collecting that specific transformer at the time...

Neither. Just be opportunistic. And expect it to be expensive & time consuming.

I agree with both :) Sweet deals only really come along because you've spend a helluva amount of time looking for them at a helluva different sources.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2012, 11:20 PM
I disagree on this. The non-movie ROTF toys were still under the name of "Transformers" and so they rode the wave of the movie line. They also had the same aesthetic as the other toys in the line. PCC didn't, they were a bit all over the place. I only have 2. Smo(u)lder beacuse I wanted to see what they were like (crap) and he was another evil 'rescue vehicle' and the Dinobots, coz they are DINOSAURS!

I suspect that in general retail there are 2 main factors that sell a toy.
1. It's license (story/fiction/character)
2. Price.

People will buy toys if it is a known character and they dont have to be good toys. Have a look at the Batman and Spiderman toys that came out for the recent movies. They were CRAP, especially the Batman ones. But they sold because of the license.

If a toy is cheap enough, then parents don't really care what it is, as long as Jr wants it. But of course cheap toys are generally not good ones.

Collectors will buy a good toy without any fiction behind it, but the general people won't.

Consider the following:

* The first series of Transformers toys in 1984 reaped US$1.4 million and breaking the record for most successful debut toy line -- this was in the year when TF fiction was at its infancy (and most folks outside of the US hadn't been exposed to the cartoon yet)

* Some G1 toys that little to no canonical appearances sold better than others which had a lot. I recally Hubcap selling pretty well - they even did him again in G2. On the other hand Kup shelfwarmed so badly, I managed to get mine for $5 from Grace Bros. Wheelie was a bit of a peg warmer too even though he appeared _very_ prominently in Season 3.

* Beast Wars similarly experienced massive toy success when the toy line debuted. It lifted the Transformers franchise up from near-extinction after G2, become the 3rd best selling boys toy in the U.S. after Toy Story and Star Wars -- this success prompted Hasbro to commission Mainframe to animate a cartoon series. And again, some of the more popular toys were ones that didn't appear in the cartoon -- like Shadow Panther! I remember walking into a Itoyokado that had just restocked, picked up a Shadow Panther for another collector, then I decided to go back a few hours later to buy another one for myself to keep sealed -- all sold out! This was in Saitama... do you think there'd be a lot of gaijin scalpers in such an inakamon area?? :confused: Transmetal 2 Cybershark also received rave reviews and he never appeared in the show (an overrated toy though IMO, but popular).

* Remember when Robots In Disguise first came out here? The cartoon wouldn't be airing on Channel Ten for months later, but during that initial period when toys were on shelves but there was no TV show to support it, the toys were flying off shelves! :eek:

I'd like to cite Classicsverse as another example too, but one might argue that since it's inspired by G1 it doesn't really count. But look at other toy franchises like Lego... when I was a kid there was no such thing as Lego canon. It was just Lego. And most of my friends and I were collecting toys long before we ever saw them in comics or the cartoon. There's no denying that media has a big influence on promoting the toys, but a well designed toy can sell well on its own merit. A lot of toys have sold well without promotional media; e.g. original G.I. Joe, original Barbie, Play-Doh, slinky, Nerf etc.

Conversely I only ever bought a few Star Wars figures when I was a kid -- as much as I loved the Star Wars movies, the action figures were only ever just "okay" to me. :/ And my favourite figures weren't even the major or popular characters in the films, they were the ones that appealed to me most as toys. Believe it or not, but my favourite Old Skool Star Wars figure was the AT-AT Commander! My favourite droid was R5-D4... and all he ever did in the film was blow his motivator! :p But as a toy I thought he was way cooler looking than Artoo Detoo! Artoo had one eye but Arfive had three -- and every kid knows that droids can shoot lasers out of their eyes! :p :D And what about teddy bears and plushies? None of mine ever appeared in any TV show or comics (other than ones I drew about them)! My favourite Transformer has long been G1 Beachcomber -- I'd decided that well before I ever saw him in any media appearance. In fact, his cartoon appearance was a bit of a disappointment, being all hippy-cool and stuff... before I saw him in the cartoon, I used to imagine him as a kick-butt fighter who could fly and shoot lasers from his arms. <shrugs> :p

theheretic
22nd September 2012, 05:54 PM
On the G1 topic, where are good places to keep my eyes on? Maybe there's a list somewhere but I haven't found it. I'm already stalking BBTS, TFsource and eBay (as best I can). Are there any other good sites?

LordCyrusOmega
22nd September 2012, 10:22 PM
On the G1 topic, where are good places to keep my eyes on? Maybe there's a list somewhere but I haven't found it. I'm already stalking BBTS, TFsource and eBay (as best I can). Are there any other good sites?

Robot Kingdom. Had a few transactions with them and happy each time.

Cat
23rd September 2012, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah.

Loving the FOC multiplayer. Finally not dying as much.

Not impressed with the Hound model for the upcoming DLC though. The head is all wrong. There's already heads available that seem to be a better match.

theheretic
23rd September 2012, 10:59 PM
Oh yeah.

Loving the FOC multiplayer. Finally not dying as much.

Not impressed with the Hound model for the upcoming DLC though. The head is all wrong. There's already heads available that seem to be a better match.

Yeah the Hound head doesn't work for me either. I can't get the hang of FOC multiplayer. Yesterday I was getting absolutely destroyed for 2 hours and today I was dominating, scoring the most kills almost every match and getting only a few deaths usually the least for my team. Leveling seems slow too but I haven't played a lot yet. Think my highest is 17.

Cat
24th September 2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah the Hound head doesn't work for me either. I can't get the hang of FOC multiplayer. Yesterday I was getting absolutely destroyed for 2 hours and today I was dominating, scoring the most kills almost every match and getting only a few deaths usually the least for my team. Leveling seems slow too but I haven't played a lot yet. Think my highest is 17.

I have the same problems in multiplayer.

Last night I got beat by a young child. I could hear him talking (I don't play much multilplayer stuff anymore, can you still auto-mute mics?)

This kid absolutely made me his bitch.

It was embarassing.

theheretic
24th September 2012, 06:09 PM
I have the same problems in multiplayer.

Last night I got beat by a young child. I could hear him talking (I don't play much multilplayer stuff anymore, can you still auto-mute mics?)

This kid absolutely made me his bitch.

It was embarassing.

Haha it's so demoralizing when that happens. Played for about 6 hours today (sick day *wink*) and discovered I'm hopeless with the tank, average with the leader, good with the scout and great with the scientist. The sentry gun, photon displacer and gear shredder are great. Gear shredder is good for close to medium range, although you can use it with some success long range but it's best to switch photon rifle for sniping. It's great to just fly over your target, transform and drop a sentry above him/her and then gear shred the 5#!+ out of him, works almost every time. Charging it up and releasing it point blank works well too, LOL.

spiderken17
26th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Can someone fill me in on the acronyms and toy lines and give me a quick rundown on the toy line (like one line of text)?
I know what Generation 1 and G2 and G1 re-issues are.
I think i've figured out some of these.

Movie - The movie
ROTF - Revenge of the fallen
DOTM - Dark of the moon
Animated - The cartoon
Beast Wars - The CGI cartoon
Masterpiece - The really fancy versions of G1 characters.
i assume the toys are all based on those shows.

What are Classics, Universe, Generations, Cybertron, Armada, Energon and others?
Which is the line of G1 character toys but are more realistic? My mate has a Starscream that looks good in both jet form and robot form?
Thanks for any help educating a newbie like myself.
Cheers, Ken

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2012, 10:13 PM
Can someone fill me in on the acronyms and toy lines and give me a quick rundown on the toy line (like one line of text)?
Some acronyms and abbreviations...
* AEC = Armada/Energon/Cybertron (aka The Unicron Trilogy)
* Alt = Alternators (or Alternity, depending on context)
* BM = Beast Machines
* BW = Beast Wars
* BWII = Beast Wars II (Second)
* BWN = Beast Wars Neo
* BT, BTA = Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk
* CHUGUR = Classics Henkei Universe (2.0) Generations United Reveal-the-Shield (aka Classicsverse)
* CR = Car Robot
* DW = Dreamwave
* FIRRIB = Frenzy Is Red, Rumble Is Blue
* FoC = Fall of Cybertron
* GF = Galaxy Force
* GPS = Gold Plastic Syndrome, BPS = Brown Plastic Syndrome
* HA = Human Alliance
* HFTD = Hunt For The Decepticon
* HM / PM / GM = Headmaster, Powermaster, Godmaster
* HMS = High Moon Studios
* HoC = Heroes of Cybertron
* IDW = Idea & Design Works
* KP = Kiss Play
* MP = Masterpiece
* MTMTE = More Than Meets The Eye
* OP = Optimus Prime
* OpOp = Optimal Optimus
* (O)TFCC = (Offical) Transformers Collectors Club
* PCC = Power Core Combiners
* RIRFIB = Rumble Is Red, Frenzy Is Blue
* RiD = Robots In Disguise
* RM = Robot Masters
* SCF = Super Collection Figure
* SG = Shattered Glass
* SWTF = Star Wars Transformers
* TF1 = 2007 Transformers film
* TFA = Transformers Animated
* TFTM = The Transformers: The Movie
* Ti = Titanium (series)
* TM = Transmetal, TM2 = Transmetal 2. TM can also be "Targetmaster" depending on context
* UT = Unicron Trilogy
* WFC = War For Cybertron
* WST = World's Smallest Transformers, a fan name for Smallest Transforming Transformers
...that's all I can think of now (in English anyhow - I'm assuming you're not interested in Japanese abbreviations :p)...

Animated - The cartoon
Masterpiece toys are based off the G1 cartoon models, yes.
Beast Wars started as toys first, the show came after.
Animated was a show and toy franchise that was developed in tandem with each other (much like Transformers Prime).

What are Classics, Universe, Generations, Cybertron, Armada, Energon and others?
Classics, Universe and Generations are basically G1 characters but done with contemporary toy engineering/designs. Armada, Energon and Cybertron were lines that followed after Robots In Disguise and are known for being very gimmick driven with Mini-Cons and Cyber Planet Keys.

Which is the line of G1 character toys but are more realistic? My mate has a Starscream that looks good in both jet form and robot form?
What do you mean by realistic?
* Classicsverse (CHUGUR): looks like G1 characters, but are unique/original designs
* Masterpiece: looks very close to the G1 cartoon models. The Decepticons have very realistic looking alt modes (you need a permit to own Megatron in NSW).
* Binaltech/Alternity/Binaltech Asterisk/Alternity: extremely realistic scale replica licensed car modes (they even have fold down seats, cup holders, gear sticks, handle brakes, air con vents, engines, mufflers, detailed wing mirrors, rack and pin steering etc.) - the robot modes look like G1 characters, but are unique/original designs.

Cat
26th September 2012, 10:59 PM
I know what Generation 1 and G2 and G1 re-issues are.
I think i've figured out some of these.

Movie - The movie
ROTF - Revenge of the fallen
DOTM - Dark of the moon
Animated - The cartoon

Thanks for any help educating a newbie like myself.
Cheers, Ken

Classics, Universe, and Generations are basically the same thing (there was an earlier line called 'Universe', but it's pretty much forgotten). They mainly focus on new versions of old favourites, which are mainly G1 toys. There are other figures, but these are the ones that tend to excite collectors the most - updates of beloved favourites.

A realistic Starscream would have to be the Masterpiece line. They're designed to be the 'ultimate' versions of the characters, that still transform, to realistic modes. Generally, they aim for accuracy to the cartoon. Starscream has had two unique Masterpiece molds. The first Japanese one had a paintscheme that was faithful to real life F15's. The US version stuck to the cartoon scheme. Collectors much preferred the cartoon/toy accurate look.

The second Starscream mold is still fairly new, and has only had a cartoon/toy look Starscream, Japanese Amazon exclusive Sunstorm (if you don't know who that is, don't worry. Obscure character). It's had a Hasbro version Thundercracker, which should be out here within the next month or so, for about $80.

There's also two other lines that have realistic vehicle modes:- Alternators (or Binaltech, as the Japanese version is called), and the follow-up line: Alternity (Japan only). These have a high focus on realistic car modes, and detail close to the level of a model car, and as accurate to the real thing as possible.

Check out www.tfwiki.net

Search Starscream, select the G1 version, and look at his 'toys' section. Then you scroll through them all, see what you like, and what your friend has. The wiki also has some useful info on them all.

Armada, Energon, and Cybertron (also known as the 'Unicron Trilogy', or 'UT' for short) were all mainline series, along with 'Animated', and the current 'Prime' series. They had a cartoon series, and toys. They were the main lines, and sometimes had unrelated secondary lines at the same time at retail (as the brand strengthened again, and collector influence rose). Classics was originally a sub-line, but is now THE line for many collectors.

You're then missing just two other main lines which had cartoon support - Beast Machines (a sequel to Beast Wars, but a very different beast, no pun intended), and 'Robots In Disguise'. Abbreviations are BM and RID.

The current Transformers Prime line is also headed as 'Robots In Disguise', so you'll often see collectors use 'PRID' as the abbreviation for it, to differentiate it from the earlier line. There's also a comic series called 'Robots In Disguise' at the moment, to further muddy waters.

Does that help?

(I'm mainly referring to the western world stuff, to make it easier. Japan has had exclusive cartoons, but these have nowhere near the profile as the ones we got, over here.)

*You'll also see two companies mentioned:- Hasbro and TakaraTomy (abbreviated to TakTom). Hasbro makes them for the west, TakTom for Japan and other parts of Asia not covered by Hasbro branches.

There may be differences between the toys, there may not.

spiderken17
27th September 2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks heaps for that guys. i will be referring back to this page frequently :)
I guess Classics, Generations and Universe are the ones i like. The modern versions of classic toys are the really cool.
I also like the use of real cars (Binaltech i think).
I might save for a masterpiece or two one day.
I'm not a big fan of Transformers that don't look like real vehicles.
"Robots in disguise" doesn't work when the car looks like its from 100 years in the future:)

GoktimusPrime
28th September 2012, 09:56 AM
Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk, Alternators, Kiss Players and Alternity are all highly detailed scale replica licensed vehicles. In a nutshell...
* Binaltech (http://www.microforever.com/Binaltech.htm) = 1:24 scale die-cast metal
* Binaltech Asterisk (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Binaltech_Asterisk) = 1:24 scale die-cast metal w/ human driver figurines
* Alternators (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Alternators) = 1:24 scale full plastic
* KISS Players (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Kiss_Players_%28toyline%29) = 1:24 scale plastic w/ moe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28slang%29) human partners
* Alternity (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Alternity) = 1:32 scale plastic

"Robots in disguise" doesn't work when the car looks like its from 100 years in the future:)
Just wait for the future and you'll see. G1 Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr totally look like cars from 2005! :p :D Speaking of robots in disguise, Beast Wars also gave us more realistic looking animal modes (unlike say G1 which gave us robots that resemble animals, but they ain't foolin' nobody!), especially the earlier figures before they went all "Transmetals" and "Fuzors" etc. The Beast Wars II (Second) Maximals and Beast Wars Neo also gave us more realistic animal moded Transformers too. :)

griffin
28th September 2012, 01:08 PM
Has anyone else seen the Wave 3 or 4 TFPrime Deluxes at a chain store yet?
(Hotshot, Knockout, Vehicon, Dead End, Shadow Strike Bbee, Airachnid)

It's now been two months since we had a one-off sighting at a regional Toyworld (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=310305#post310305), so if the sighting was correct, perhaps the store imported the toys in themselves... as no one else has reported seeing them anywhere else since then.

Before I can update the checklist or the sightings banner (which doesn't acknowledge independents or imports, as they are no use to members in the rest of the country), can this be verified by a second sighting at another location or store-chain?

It almost feels like Hasbro Australia has just stopped importing the line altogether and is just (barely) focusing on the other lines now... and if that is true, those of us wanting certain TFPrime toys, need some warning, so that it doesn't get too impossible and expensive tracking them down from other countries.

Starscream77
28th September 2012, 01:58 PM

It's now been two months since we had a one-off sighting at a regional Toyworld (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=310305#post310305), so if the sighting was correct, perhaps the store imported the toys in themselves... as no one else has reported seeing them anywhere else since then.

Before I can update the checklist or the sightings banner (which doesn't acknowledge independents or imports, as they are no use to members in the rest of the country), can this be verified by a second sighting at another location or store-chain?

It almost feels like Hasbro Australia has just stopped importing the line altogether and is just (barely) focusing on the other lines now... and if that is true, those of us wanting certain TFPrime toys, need some warning, so that it doesn't get too impossible and expensive tracking them down from other countries.

I dont think we will ever see them, i got all mine from an EBay store in Perth at very good prices (assume he has imported) and have just ordered another lot from him (Kup,Rumble & Skywarp) as i know i will never see them in NSW.

UltraMarginal
28th September 2012, 02:56 PM
I haven't seen them anywhere, and I've been looking.

Cat
29th September 2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks heaps for that guys. i will be referring back to this page frequently :)
I guess Classics, Generations and Universe are the ones i like. The modern versions of classic toys are the really cool.
I might save for a masterpiece or two one day.

This is my opinion, but there is a bit of fact to it, I believe.

While Alternity is the newer line, and thus features newer model cars, I would easily recommend Alternators/Binaltech over it. Bigger toys and not as fiddly. I also think the fit was a bit more precise.

There are some Alternators that are notorious for their difficult and frustrating transformations: the most notorious being the Grimlock/Wheeljack mold (Mustang).

I hope you've got enough info to get you started, and good luck.

Autocon
30th September 2012, 12:33 AM
Who can list all the Human Alliance figures?

I own
BB
skidz
mudflap
jazz
sideswipe

Transformed
Barricade

Whos left?
Soundwave

Excluding repaints

griffin
30th September 2012, 01:12 AM
TF2 (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/c13.html)
Bumblebee w/ Sam Witwicky,
Sideswipe w/ Tech Sergeant Epps,
Autobot Skids w/ Arcee & Mikaela Banes,
Barricade w/ Decepticon Frenzy,
Mudflap w/Chromia & Agent Simmons,
Autobot Jazz w/ Captain Lennox,
(black) Sideswipe w/ Mikaela Banes.

TF3 (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/c14.html)
Basic
Icepick (snowmobile) w/ Sergeant Chaos,
Decepticon Dragstrip (racecar) w/ Master Disaster,
Thunderhead (orange tank) w/ Major Tungsten,
Sandstorm (green buggy) w/ Private Dedcliff,
Backfire (grey trike) w/ Spike Witwicky,
Tailpipe (motorbike) w/ Sergeant Noble & Drone,
Autobot Whirl (helicopter) w/ Major Sparkplug,
Half Track (white buggy) w/ Major Altitude,
Crosshairs (green tank) w/ Sergeant Cahnay,
Reverb (hoverbike) w/ Sergeant Detour.
Deluxe
Soundwave w/ Laserbeak & Mr Gould,
Autobot Skids w/ Elita-1 & Tech Sergeant Epps,
Roadbuster w/ Sergeant Recon,
Leadfood w/ Steeljaw & Sergeant Detour (US & JP versions have different decos).
Exclusive
Sideswipe w/ Icepick & Sergeant Chaos,
Dlx Bumblebee w/ Backfire & Sam Witwicky.

LordCyrusOmega
30th September 2012, 01:38 AM
Should I buy Beast Wars Mutant Soundwave? How many people own him and how many have had issues with GPS?
I've been watching YouTube videos and a few have broken but it seems some are stable.

Autocon
30th September 2012, 01:35 PM
TF3 (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/c14.html)
Basic
Icepick (snowmobile) w/ Sergeant Chaos,
Decepticon Dragstrip (racecar) w/ Master Disaster,
Thunderhead (orange tank) w/ Major Tungsten,
Sandstorm (green buggy) w/ Private Dedcliff,
Backfire (grey trike) w/ Spike Witwicky,
Tailpipe (motorbike) w/ Sergeant Noble & Drone,
Autobot Whirl (helicopter) w/ Major Sparkplug,
Half Track (white buggy) w/ Major Altitude,
Crosshairs (green tank) w/ Sergeant Cahnay,
Reverb (hoverbike) w/ Sergeant Detour.
Deluxe
Soundwave w/ Laserbeak & Mr Gould,
Autobot Skids w/ Elita-1 & Tech Sergeant Epps,
Roadbuster w/ Sergeant Recon,
Leadfood w/ Steeljaw & Sergeant Detour (US & JP versions have different decos).
Exclusive
Sideswipe w/ Icepick & Sergeant Chaos,
Dlx Bumblebee w/ Backfire & Sam Witwicky.

So there is no Topspin?!

griffin
30th September 2012, 05:16 PM
Nope. No HA Topspin.

Deluxe was the largest size for Topspin.

Topspin toys (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/336.jpg).
Leadfoot toys (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/335.jpg).
Roadbuster toys (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/337.jpg).

UltraMarginal
2nd October 2012, 03:45 PM
I have a work colleague heading over to the states who might be able to mule my SDCC bruticus and CJ sets back for me. before I confirm with him, would there be anyone on the forum who has these who would be able to provide me with the outer dimensions of both boxes so I can make sure I'm not asking something unrealistic?

Length Width and Height in cm would be great.

Cheers

Starscream77
2nd October 2012, 03:47 PM
I have a work colleague heading over to the states who might be able to mule my SDCC bruticus and CJ sets back for me. before I confirm with him, would there be anyone on the forum who has these who would be able to provide me with the outer dimensions of both boxes so I can make sure I'm not asking something unrealistic?

Cheers

I have CJ, will measure up for you when i get home tonight

UltraMarginal
2nd October 2012, 04:14 PM
I have CJ, will measure up for you when i get home tonight

cheers thanks.

GoktimusPrime
2nd October 2012, 04:19 PM

I just called Hasbro AU... they put me on hold for about a minute before transferring me to an answering machine. :( :( Every time I call Takara I get to talk to a person... most of the time when I call Hasbro, I get to talk to a machine that tells me to leave a message. :( (actually, I spoke to a person first, who then transferred me to a machine) *sigh*

"We Really Do Care!" - Hasbro

crankcase76
2nd October 2012, 06:09 PM
spoke with hursti at the parra fair awhile back and he was wearing his OTCA shirt, just wondering if there would be another chance to start a new wave of the shirts?

Starscream77
2nd October 2012, 06:18 PM
spoke with hursti at the parra fair awhile back and he was wearing his OTCA shirt, just wondering if there would be another chance to start a new wave of the shirts?

As a relative newbie I would love one

Trent
2nd October 2012, 07:07 PM
As a relative newbie I would love one

Yeah I'd be in that too

Starscream77
2nd October 2012, 08:29 PM

Cheers

Hey mate, CJ is 12 x 22 x 23cm

GoktimusPrime
2nd October 2012, 08:38 PM
I was wearing my OTCA jersey on Sunday at a lunch function, and this dude at the table I was sitting at claimed that the Maximal insignia on my jersey wasn't a Transformers logo. His wife corrected him and said it was -- although she couldn't specify why, and I told them that it was the Maximal insignia from Beast Wars. I also pointed out to the guy that his missus evidently knew more about Transformers than he did. ;) :p The Maximal logo is missing the "whiskers," but it's still recognisable as the Maximal logo IMO. :o

theheretic
2nd October 2012, 09:08 PM
I was wearing my OTCA jersey on Sunday at a lunch function, and this dude at the table I was sitting at claimed that the Maximal insignia on my jersey wasn't a Transformers logo. His wife corrected him and said it was -- although she couldn't specify why, and I told them that it was the Maximal insignia from Beast Wars. I also pointed out to the guy that his missus evidently knew more about Transformers than he did. ;) :p The Maximal logo is missing the "whiskers," but it's still recognisable as the Maximal logo IMO. :o

Maybe he was trying to pretend the Beast Wars never happened. I can't blame him :-P

Starscream77
2nd October 2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe he was trying to pretend the Beast Wars never happened. I can't blame him :-P

Ba ha ha love it:p

UltraMarginal
2nd October 2012, 09:43 PM
Hey mate, CJ is 12 x 22 x 23cm

Great Thanks Starscream77,
Now I just need the dimensions for the Bruticus set.

Yukitora
2nd October 2012, 11:28 PM
Can somebody make some Ozformer stickers or badges?

I want/need one to put on my cosplays. Sunstreaker needs a logo, and i want it to be OCTA, cause basicly, - autobot symbol is too hard to do! :P

griffin
3rd October 2012, 12:10 AM
Box for SDCC Bruticus is 42cm x 50cm x 11cm.

Autocon
3rd October 2012, 12:34 AM

I want/need one to put on my cosplays. Sunstreaker needs a logo, and i want it to be OCTA, cause basicly, - autobot symbol is too hard to do! :P

Print out symbol from net and stick it on the front?

UltraMarginal
3rd October 2012, 07:32 AM
Box for SDCC Bruticus is 42cm x 50cm x 11cm.

Thanks Griffin

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2012, 07:54 AM
Should I buy Beast Wars Mutant Soundwave? How many people own him and how many have had issues with GPS?
I've been watching YouTube videos and a few have broken but it seems some are stable.

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2012, 08:52 AM
I'd say only get him if you can find him cheap. I'll never forget the time Hursticon bought him and I witnessed the toy crumble in his hands as he tried ever-so-carefully to transform it! :eek: I experienced a similar thing with Randy -- the toy broke as I was opening the package! (I hadn't even transformed it yet!) Just as well I already have Razorbeast... Randy remains purely a display piece. :rolleyes:

gamblor916
3rd October 2012, 09:05 AM

If you're interested I have Autobot vinyl stickers left over from some printing I did. From memory it's around 10-12cm across.

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2012, 10:02 AM

Ba ha ha love it:p
Yeah, cos if Beast Wars never happened the Transformers franchise would be dead! :rolleyes:

Starscream77
3rd October 2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, cos if Beast Wars never happened the Transformers franchise would be dead! :rolleyes:

You mean IYO, nobody could stand by that statement as if there was no Beast Wars there would have been something different and who is to say that it would not have been more successful ?

Seraphim Prime
3rd October 2012, 01:13 PM
You mean IYO, nobody could stand by that statement as if there was no Beast Wars there would have been something different and who is to say that it would not have been more successful ?

Actually, everyone involved in Beast Wars is on the books saying Hasbro was about ready to give up on Transformers, had not Beast Wars been so successful.

Point 1 - The toys weren't managed by Hasbro - they had been handed over to one of their newly aquired subsidieries - Kenner.

Point 2 - Bob Skir and Larry Ditillio have said that Hasbro didn't really have much involvement in what they were and were not allowed to do. Hasbro wasn't even sure whether it was going to be a continuation of Transformers or not to begin with!

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2012, 02:50 PM
I'd say only get him if you can find him cheap. I'll never forget the time Hursticon bought him and I witnessed the toy crumble in his hands as he tried ever-so-carefully to transform it! :eek: I experienced a similar thing with Randy -- the toy broke as I was opening the package! (I hadn't even transformed it yet!) Just as well I already have Razorbeast... Randy remains purely a display piece. :rolleyes:

I've heard this happen all to often but 1 in 3 clips I watched on YouTube the toys were fine. No breakages, roughly handled. I had given up on him but now I'm torn

spiderken17
3rd October 2012, 07:51 PM
What is a reasonable price to pay for an Encore Jazz?
Cheers, Ken

Cat
3rd October 2012, 08:09 PM
I'd reckon about $60-80.

May have to pay more though, it kinda depends.

SuspectimusPrime
3rd October 2012, 08:28 PM
I've heard this happen all to often but 1 in 3 clips I watched on YouTube the toys were fine. No breakages, roughly handled. I had given up on him but now I'm torn

In that case, I'd say lap it up if you see a cheap MISB for sale and decide later :p Even if you decide to give up on him at a later stage, you shouldn't need to resell it at a loss :)

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2012, 09:51 PM
I'll cave and try to find 3 cheap sealed. With odds of 1 in 3 I might be ok.
I'm going to lose money, aren't I?

Cat
4th October 2012, 04:01 AM
I still can't believe we may be looking at 3 MP month.

Crazy.

Starscream77
4th October 2012, 07:20 AM
I still can't believe we may be looking at 3 MP month.

Crazy.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tober
4th October 2012, 10:04 PM
Was G1 Jetfire released in Japan? Or Shockwave?

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 10:16 PM
Jetfire (called Skyfire in Japan), no. Laserwave yes.
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/information/2010/05/19/21spr12/p1.jpg

Bidoofdude
4th October 2012, 10:26 PM
Any laserwave's cheap out there?

Tober
5th October 2012, 07:12 AM
Jetfire (called Skyfire in Japan), no. Laserwave yes.
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/information/2010/05/19/21spr12/p1.jpg

Thanks! :)

Bidoofdude
6th October 2012, 11:14 PM
Is sunstorm the yellow rainmaker from the episode or a different character?

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 11:19 PM
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sunstorm_%28G1%29

drahsrebu
7th October 2012, 12:04 AM
any ideas on how I should display my collection?

I just got some new display pieces and thought now would be a good time to change it up a bit. Eg, sort by character, series etc

any ideas or examples of how you display your collections would be great:)

SuspectimusPrime
7th October 2012, 12:11 AM

I just got some new display pieces and thought now would be a good time to change it up a bit. Eg, sort by character, series etc

By colour ;) Would look quite trippy :D

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2012, 12:12 AM
I display mine by series and faction.
e.g. 1984-series Autobots, 1984-series Decepticons, 1985-series Autobots etc. See the link in my sig for pics. :)

griffin
7th October 2012, 12:13 AM
Is sunstorm the yellow rainmaker from the episode or a different character?

Yes and no...
The first Sunstorm toys were inspired by the Gen1 yellow seeker, which was just a basic Decepticon Trooper, but Dreamwave then turned the character into a demi-god, and it has pretty much stuck since then.

Acidstorm was a similar homage to a Gen1 seeker trooper, but fortunately it hasn't gone through the same delusions of grandeur.

drahsrebu
7th October 2012, 12:15 AM
By colour ;) Would look quite trippy :D

lol.

Alphabetical ?:p

Autocon
7th October 2012, 12:15 AM

On their heads!:D

griffin
7th October 2012, 12:29 AM
Serious responses please....
Like by series, chronological, by subgroup, by allegiance, by character, etc.

Bidoofdude
7th October 2012, 05:50 PM
Is there a good chance I may be able to find an old transformer at a garage sale or op shop. It kind of differs but do a lot seem to get the occasional toy?

Bidoofdude
7th October 2012, 06:02 PM
Also, I have 2 more.
Are Hasbro G1 Optimus' smokestacks molded blue then painted silver?
And the second, do tak/tom, hasbro or toyco still have the mold for Shockwave. Coz it's getting really hard to find one iin good condition.

Bidoofdude
7th October 2012, 07:18 PM
Do a few kmarts still have some generations figures left (2010) because I've heard that from a few.

tinyJazz
7th October 2012, 08:04 PM
What's the best way to store carded transformers? Bubble-wrapped to a piece of cardboard?

What is a reasonable price to pay for an Encore Jazz?
Cheers, Ken

I've seen them sell for around 45 bucks recently.

Serious responses please....
Like by series, chronological, by subgroup, by allegiance, by character, etc.

Excuse me, displaying by colour is a serious response. :p

If anything, I have learned that I need more orange transformers.

5FDP
7th October 2012, 09:37 PM
What's the best way to store carded transformers? Bubble-wrapped to a piece of cardboard?

I have several Auspost Bx3 mailing boxes for carded deluxes. You can store up to 4 in a box by placing them 'head to toe' so to speak. Either that, or score yourself some of the packing boxes that Hasbro sends them in.

Trent
8th October 2012, 09:10 PM
Don't know if this has been asked before:

Where do you guys see Transformers toys going in the near future? There seems to be a rather heavy focus on the MP line at the moment and rumours of an encore revival, but a bit of a lull in the CHUG lines (apart from asian exclusives) and from what I read the Prime line isn't doing too well. I mean we have the FOC but when that dies down in another 12 months or so what then? 3rd party stuff seems to be powering along atm filling in the CHUG lull (if you're into that sort of thing)

Sorry but i'm tired and finding it hard to order my thoughts atm. Basically what do you think we will be buying in 18 months time?? I'm having trouble seeing it.

Off to bed now. Night night.

LordCyrusOmega
8th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Did I read something about Hasbro saying that Prime was like the new G1 in that it will last a few years?
If this is the case then Prime toys should still be around. Until the new movie comes out then it will be Animated all over again

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2012, 10:38 PM
The thing I'm not enjoying about TFs atm is that it's media driven rather than toy driven... feels like putting the cart before the horse to me. I much prefer the traditional way where the toys are the 'engine' of the franchise, and everything else is built around that. There are so many characters who've appeared in the show and yet we have no toys of them on shelves:
+ Vehicon ('cept the Cyberverse)
+ Knock Out ('cept the Cyberverse)
+ Breakdown ('cept the Cyberverse)
+ Skyquake
+ Airachnid
+ Insecticon
+ Smokescreen

...then there were the characters from Dark of the Moon who never got toys (beyond Cyberverse) such as Soundwave, Leadfoot, Que and Mirage. :( Even if some of us are able to import some of these from overseas, it still sucks how the local market hasn't got them... and in the case of Mirage, probably never will. :(

SuspectimusPrime
9th October 2012, 12:21 AM
I prefer a continuous story line - no more universe resets.

Perhaps not something completely endless like One Piece (an Anime), but maybe some good lengthy ongoing series like Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny. The toys can still be gimmick based (if that's what Hasbro wants); the G1 comics did a great job of introducing Head/Target/Powermasters, Micromasters and then Actionmasters, as well as finding new ways of killing/reviving Optimus Prime in new bodies.

LordCyrusOmega
9th October 2012, 12:21 AM
Thats why I stopped going online for a while. Seeing to many toys that wouldn't see local release and would be expesiv to find online.