Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Plastic modelling - Battlestar Galactica WIP

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slag
    When will she be ready to launch?
    Very soon. I just sprayed some flat coat on the touched up areas this morning. Once it's had a few hours to cure, the only thing left is to glue the top of the alligator head on. Should take about 2 minutes, plus drying time.

It'll still need a stand to be 'display ready' - I've soldered the wires to the plug, now I just have to figure out how best to jam it into the brass rod I want to use as a support.

what happening with this Iriorne ..it was almost finished and then no more updates?..... I want to see the finally product

Yeah, sorry, I'm really slack. I finished it and it looks great. I had a post ready to go but I lost it, couldn't be bothered re-doing it at the time, then the last couple of months have been busy as I've moved to Melbourne for work. Galactica's all boxed up in Perth but I've still got the photos from earlier so I'll try and get something sorted out in the next day or so.

Don't know how I missed this thread, the wip pics look great, can't wait to see the finished product

Right, take 2. Sorry for the wait and thanks for your patience. I did some calculations and worked out that the build cost roughly $700, with about $170 being consumed items (kit, PE, resin, LEDs, etc) and the rest tools and other multi-use items. I've got no idea how many hours have gone into it; probably in the hundreds, but I hope you'll agree the result was worth it.

A few beauty shots.

Port flight pod with tiny viper launch tube decals.

Engine lights are super bright.

Flight pod recess lighting. The lights are optic fibres in the top of the recess. The port side looks best with all 6 spots, but the starboard side has the last one missing. It broke and had to be redrilled several times and even though it's hooked up to it's own LED it's still very dim.

Flight pod recess lighting.

All the fibre optic lights. Some of the fibres broke but it still looks great.

Bow section.

Dorsal surface with Colonial seal and replacement gun turrets.

Port flight pod.

Port flight pod with internal girder details.

Starboard flight pod.

Starboard flight pod.

Starboard bow, wth scratch built armour plating.

Underside of bow with antennae created from pin tips and photo-etched gun turrets on the underside of the upper hull. Also note the gaps between ribs underneath the side armour plates.

Engine detail. There's a small amount of light leakage from the cover for the centre engines but it's more trouble than it's worth to try and fix. I'm really happy with the way the extra greebles I added to the sides of the engines turned out. I actually almost forgot I added them.

I tried painting the approach indicator lights on the landing bays. It's hard to get the dots even at such a small scale but I'm happy with the result.

Galactica joins the very rag-tag and out-of-scale fleet.

-------

It's actually not quite finished yet. I recently bought some new cast resin gun turrets to replace the photo etch ones. They look phenomenal, and the photo doesn't do them justice, but as Galactica's currently boxed up in Perth while I'm in Melbourne, it might be a while before I get to install them.

Awesome!

That's spectacular! The finish looks great and the leds really sets it off.

Thumbs up

That's just EXTRAORDINARY. Loved the WIP shots, but the finished product... Wow, just wow. Simply amazing work. Thanks for sharing!!

It looks fantastic!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

OMG that is friggin AWESOME ! The fibre optics and Port flight pod with internal girder details . just Wow.... your attention to detail and patience is up there ! great job