Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Diecast metal

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    People keep comparing alt and blt because of the diecast but isn't it the actual paint that makes the blt look nicer I bet you could make the alts look just as nice with the same paint and you wouldn't know the difference...
    Which is what TakaraTOMY did with Alternity and the MP Cars (that paint w/ the nice glossy finish). Alternators definitely could've looked nicer if Hasbro had bothered to slap some paints on them, or selected better plastic colours. But unfortunately, Hasbro simply didn't do this for Alternators.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Because of the following:
    1. The metal give a deeper shine to the toy which equals higher grade of quality, As I pointed, Wheeljack mp felt lack of paint on White plastic.
    But if they had applied a glossy pearl white coat of paint on Wheeljack, then would it still matter to you that it was painted plastic and not metal? Look at the paint job on say MP Streak, that looks pretty damn good IMO.

2. The rubber tytes debate is because toy car collectors DO NOT collect toy cars with plastic wheels, is a slap to them, hence the follow suit here in a Masterpiece line, not for other transformers though.
    That's still a very subjective standard that you're using there. It depends on whether or not you view Masterpieces as scale model cars first and transformable action figures second. This is more something that BT/Alternators marketed itself as; and as I understand it, one reason why Hasbro had to name Alternators Meister "Meister" instead of Autobot Jazz, was because the toy fell under the miniature car trademark instead of action figure trademark, and they couldn't even use the word "Jazz" at all in a toy car, even with "Autobot" stuck in front of it (probably because of the Honda Jazz?). Subsequent Jazz toys (e.g. Movie, Animated, RtS etc.) did not have this problem, as they fell under the jurisdiction of action figures, and Hasbro were able to call them "Autobot Jazz."

If you personally view MPs as replica vehicles first, that's fine, but not everybody necessarily holds them to that same standard. I personally see them as action figures first. Binaltechs, Alternators and Alternities are more of what I consider to be replica vehicle-formers; BTs/ALTs go into insane details with seats, steering wheels, dashboards, gear sticks, park brakes, bonnet, engine, boot, steering et al. MPs don't do that, as their engineering is more focused on translating cartoon models into fun toys (making the 'impossible' possible). BTs/ALTs aren't at all constrained by this; the robots just need to bear a recognisable resemblance to the characters, but otherwise they have a far greater range of freedom in terms of design and engineering.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Hence why we have people going overrating mp-10 as compared to a solid figure mp-1. You have just answered the question, the current mp line is action figure focused not really premium. The box is just a way to deceive collectors thinking it is premium.

Whether I regard the vehicle as first priority over the robot mode, which btw all my binaltech and alternaters are displayed in robot form, the difference is there and noticable.

MP streak, yes, wonderful paint, does it have the same detail level as a Binaltech Streak? nope.
    Also when scratched, a metal piece will feel and looks realistic, as you will see bare metal where plastic you wouldn't.

Can paint make a difference? Yes of course, I do model kits. lol
    However paint on plastic has its limitation to what metal can show.

I know.....my expectations for the mp line are just way up there. However, this is from someone who started to enjoy collecting Transformers ONLY when binaltech was introduced. Hence why I was happy with mp-1 and then the quick decline when everthing went really cheap but charge you the premium.

I started to love back Transformers because of the premium quality, I am sadly ready to go off after I collected my last few mp checklist. Don't get me wrong that TT didn't do a great job, they did. But it isn't really what I expected from the masterpiece line after mp-1.

Would I be willing to pay more for the metal? Hell yes.

Because of the following:
    1. The metal give a deeper shine to the toy which equals higher grade of quality
    I am sorry but this is just plan wrong. I am a spray painter by trade and the material that we paint on does not make any difference to the quality of shine it is the quality of paint that counts. A lot of the high end cars like Audis and BMWs actually have plastic front guards, sometimes bonnets next to other metal panels and overall there is no difference to the shine of the paint from one panel to another. The substrate that paint is applied to has no bearing to the outcome of the "paint quality".

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    I am sorry but this is just plan wrong. I am a spray painter by trade and the material that we paint on does not make any difference to the quality of shine it is the quality of paint that counts. A lot of the high end cars like Audis and BMWs actually have plastic front guards, sometimes bonnets next to other metal panels and overall there is no difference to the shine of the paint from one panel to another. The substrate that paint is applied to has no bearing to the outcome of the "paint quality".
    you are right, the paint doesn't make a difference.
    I just dont see it on our mp line too often. my bad.

Overall though, I don't think transformers were meant to be diecast which was why I was never overly interested in them. Did I mentioned too much BT in this thread? I probably did.

I guess the general feel of a diecast toy imo feels premium but hey whatever. Its not happening. Be happy with what they provide or don't buy it. /thread

Personally I'd prefer to see more Transformers made out of ceramic, or perhaps terracotta

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Personally I'd prefer to see more Transformers made out of ceramic, or perhaps terracotta
    Wouldn't that break easily?

I have seen titanium and it doesnt do that great either. Wrong type of metal is also a bad thing.

Wouldn't that break easily?

I have seen titanium and it doesnt do that great either. Wrong type of metal is also a bad thing.
    He forgot to use the sarcasm font
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Well wrong plastic can get brittle and break as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    He forgot to use the sarcasm font
    Which one is the sarcasm font? And can you tell me which one is the 'taking-the-piss' font because I'll use that one a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Remind me again what sort of licenced vehicle MP Rodimus is?
    YOu mean you don't know about the flame painted Space Winnebago?
    2. The rubber tyres debate is because toy car collectors DO NOT collect toy cars with plastic wheels (in their premium range, not referring to matchbox cars here) is a slap to them, hence the follow suit here in a Masterpiece line, not for other transformers though.
    I dont mind plastic wheels, the wheel colour on Wheeljack makes it look more cartoony than rubber would. Plus those of us with RID Optimus Prime's rubber wheels all know how badly they can go (-_-)