Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugo Weaving interview with Collider

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This gives an insight on how Michael Bay handles things professionally.

Kinda reminds me of Orson Wells when interviewed about the animated movie.

Here is Michael Bay's response. Apparently he only had it up for a day or two before he took it down:

Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs? With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasn’t ‘artistic enough” or “fulfilling enough”? I guess The Hollywood Reporter thinks so.

What happened to people who had integrity, who did a job, got paid for their hard work, and just smiled afterward? Be happy you even have a job – let alone a job that pays you more than 98% of the people in America.

I have a wonderful idea for all those whiners: They can give their “unhappy job money” to a wonderful Elephant Rescue. It’s the David Sheldrick WildlifeTrust in Africa. I will match the funds they donate.

Bunch or rich, angry fraggers aint they!

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Here is Michael Bay's response. Apparently he only had it up for a day or two before he took it down:

Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs? With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasn’t ‘artistic enough” or “fulfilling enough”? I guess The Hollywood Reporter thinks so.

What happened to people who had integrity, who did a job, got paid for their hard work, and just smiled afterward? Be happy you even have a job – let alone a job that pays you more than 98% of the people in America.

I have a wonderful idea for all those whiners: They can give their “unhappy job money” to a wonderful Elephant Rescue. It’s the David Sheldrick WildlifeTrust in Africa. I will match the funds they donate.

Interesting.

I'm sure Weaving didn't mean it that way.

Here's the link: Michael Bay Fires Back at Hugo Weaving’s TRANSFORMERS Comments
    Last edited by Megatron; 19th October 2012 at 05:25 PM.

Huh... he actually has a point ya know.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I think he mis-interpreted what Hugo was saying... in that it was just a job, and didn't have the time or desire to get into the fandom/franchise beyond that.

Perhaps fans on global sites were pointing fingers at Bay as if he was the reason why Hugo was not "able" to get more involved in the role or character, and Bay was responding defensively to that criticism... but really, a voice-over role that only took an hour doesn't require any character-research on the part of the Voice Actor.

Since Bay took down that comment, maybe he later realised that he was just drawn into something that wasn't his fault... this time at least.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think he mis-interpreted what Hugo was saying... in that it was just a job, and didn't have the time or desire to get into the fandom/franchise beyond that.
    Agreed. It really felt like Hugo Weaving was making a comment on his participation and performance within the franchise. Just sad that the message got muddled.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

HEAPS mature response. Considering that was not what Weaving meant at all.

I have zero respect for him as a director.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Meh... I don't see why anyone should get worked up about what any actor says about a role -- just as long as they do their job well, I don't care if they loved it or hate it (well, I care a bit, but it doesn't really matter all that much). G1 fans loved Orson Welles as Unicron, but he obviously loathed his role and the franchise. Many Star Wars fan see Sir Alec Guiness (played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars Trilogy) as being one of the best actors in Star Wars, yet he didn't like that franchise or the character all that much either!

But professional actors will still put in their best effort and make their characters good, regardless of what they think about the character or the film that they're in. That's just called being professional.

"I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I’m destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.”
    - Orson Welles (on Transformers)

"What I didn't tell (George Lucas) was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo."
    "I shrivel up every time someone mentions Star Wars to me."
    "Apart from the money, I regret having embarked on the film."

- Sir Alec Guiness (on Star Wars)

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I have zero respect for him as a director.
    I'll take that level of respect for Bay and double it!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'll take that level of respect for Bay and double it!

Fanboi!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain