Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1 in Melbourne

Default G1 in Melbourne

Can anyone name some decent places in Melbourne that buys and sells G1s?

Would like to open up more options than my current online sources and Ebay.

Thanks

C.J.

After going through more posts in the forums, getting a feeling that maybe buying online is the way to go?

Please advise....

Thank you.

Yeh you'll find very little in terms of G1 here in Victoria. Some of the Comics r Us stores have a few and I know of a crummy little shop under Eaglemont station that sells them too.

Don't recommend buying from any of them though, since their prices are ridiculously high. Mostly reissues and knock offs as well. Best bet for G1's are online.

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    Yeh you'll find very little in terms of G1 here in Victoria. Some of the Comics r Us stores have a few and I know of a crummy little shop under Eaglemont station that sells them too.

Don't recommend buying from any of them though, since their prices are ridiculously high. Mostly reissues and knock offs as well. Best bet for G1's are online.
    Thanks for the info.

Ebay is a bit of a worry with all those 'unethical' sellers.
    I'll need to go through the forum to pick out the more reliable online sellers.

Anyone in particular that has a good reputation for price and quality?

Thanks.

C.J.

I saw a G1 Sixshot at the bazaar in chapel street. Bot only very high wear $135.00

Don't let a few bad apples spoil your faith in the rest. I've bought hundreds of TFs from ebay, and could probably only recall 2 or 3 dodgy issues. Just do your homework first.
    My checklist:
    - they aren't new to ebay (at least a year is good)
    - they have at least 100 as their feedback score, and no more than 1% negative feedbacks
    - they ship to my location without having to ask (some US sellers just leave it at the default setting, but are still willing to post overseas)
    - they accept paypal (pretty standard these days though) so that you can be covered if anything goes wrong

Then scrutinise the item... I usually buy stuff in packaging, so the checklist is more useful to me than photos and descriptions. For loose figures, it should also give a level of credibility to the seller's listing before you even try to work out the condition in the small photo or one-line description. (but it makes them more credible if they put in more effort than that in their listing)

The only time I don't follow my checklist is on a really cheap item by someone who doesn't know what they have, and I'm only planning to bid the minimum anyway... so no great loss if it doesn't arrive or is in a worse condition than listed.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Don't let a few bad apples spoil your faith in the rest. I've bought hundreds of TFs from ebay, and could probably only recall 2 or 3 dodgy issues. Just do your homework first.
    My checklist:
    - they aren't new to ebay (at least a year is good)
    - they have at least 100 as their feedback score, and no more than 1% negative feedbacks
    - they ship to my location without having to ask (some US sellers just leave it at the default setting, but are still willing to post overseas)
    - they accept paypal (pretty standard these days though) so that you can be covered if anything goes wrong

Then scrutinise the item... I usually buy stuff in packaging, so the checklist is more useful to me than photos and descriptions. For loose figures, it should also give a level of credibility to the seller's listing before you even try to work out the condition in the small photo or one-line description. (but it makes them more credible if they put in more effort than that in their listing)

The only time I don't follow my checklist is on a really cheap item by someone who doesn't know what they have, and I'm only planning to bid the minimum anyway... so no great loss if it doesn't arrive or is in a worse condition than listed.
    I guess the process of finding, buying and getting 'conned' once in a blue moon is all part of the fun too...

Thanks for the advice, griffin. I'll note your checklist on what to look out for.

C.J.

I bought quite a few G1 Transformers from this record store near Camberwell Station and Animezone in Box Hill had some too. Likewise Comics R Us in the CBD. But that was ages ago and I've heard reports that the places in Camberwell and Box Hill don't stock as many G1s as they used to (don't know first hand though). But I suppose if you happen to be passing through those areas it might not hurt to look?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I bought quite a few G1 Transformers from this record store near Camberwell Station and Animezone in Box Hill had some too. Likewise Comics R Us in the CBD. But that was ages ago and I've heard reports that the places in Camberwell and Box Hill don't stock as many G1s as they used to (don't know first hand though). But I suppose if you happen to be passing through those areas it might not hurt to look?
    Thanks for the info, Goktimus.

I'm do pass by Box Hill and Camberwell occasionally so I'll check them out.

C.J.

The Camberwell shop closed down years ago.
    The other shop is Animezone, which should still be in Box Hill.
    Your other options are the occasional collectors fairs that are at Malvern or Sandown.