Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DOTM - not excited? [possible spoils]

Default DOTM - not excited? [possible spoils]

So I'm new here, and not looking for a fight... I just can't help but feel this new movie is going to upset me.

I grew up with G1, looking back on it now, Season 2 and 3 were pretty bad. Still have a great love for Season 1 and the movie. With that in mind, what Bay did with the first movie was fantastic.

The second greatly upset me. I can't help but feel his "expert" advisors with their "encyclopedic" knowledge of the Transformers woke up one day and thought they'd try their luck. Autobots do not arbitrarily destroy anything, even Decepticons in hiding. Seems they were hiding for 100 years too without incident based on the photos Sector 7 had, yet never took a stand when us humans developed weaponry capable of hurting them. Wasn't 'til the Autobots showed up that the war started. Also, why bother breaking into military facilities, even Air Force One in the first film, when Soundwave can just hump a satellite. This just ruins the whole reasoning behind the first film.

When I heard Jetfire was in it, I got really excited. To see him include a walking stick in his transformation made me retch. I was all set to cast this disgust aside when he merged with Prime (wished there was an 'Optimal Optimus' reference, but no)... only to have Jetfires parts just cast aside like a piece of trash when he was done using him. No send-off or appreciation for the sacrifice. This isn't what Autobots are.

This brings us to the upcoming one. Going by the trailer, lets say the government was able to cover up the existence of a space-ship on the moon. Wouldn't the Autobots have picked it up on their way past in the first film? Or Starscream and that Fallen joke in the second? It feels like they've got the same losers and their ridiculous imagination from the second film to cash in on the franchise again.

Having just seen TF:Prime, it really puts in perspective - the movies are crap. Plus a Megatron without Welker isn't a Megatron at all.

Don't hate me.......... just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by BlackConvoy View Post
    So I'm new here, and not looking for a fight... I just can't help but feel this new movie is going to upset me.
    2 main points I would like to make.

Just in case you are serious about the starting a fight comment, I think I should refer you to rule #1 of the Ozformer Userguide.
    1 - Treat others how you want to be treated yourself. Do not criticise, insult, abuse, ridicule or bait a negative response from others.
    Secondly. You will need a to find a more inflammatory argument and go against the popular opinion.

I mean let's face it, aside from looking nice, the secnd TF Bay movie was a vacuous waste of my life. I had the bought the blu ray when it came out and couldn't brng myself to watch the movie again because I disliked it so much.

I suspect most people here will view the 3rd movie with lower expectations due to the quality of the second.

If you wanna start a fight, try something like...

"ROTF is better than Beast Wars because ..."

Good luck

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Just in case you are serious about the starting a fight comment, I think I should refer you to rule #1 of the Ozformer Userguide.

[snip]

If you wanna start a fight, try something like...
    Tets... BlackConvoy doesn't want to start a fight...

So I'm new here, and not looking for a fight...

And to answer the question... yeah ROTF sucked badly. It rivals Pearl Harbor (IMO) as worst ever! I don't own the DVD or Blu ray and have never been able to watch it again since the first time I saw it (I tried to re-watch it, but was so bored and disgusted I turned it off).

I have zero interest in DOTM. I expect it to be more of the same. That being said, because I am such a stupid TF tragic, I will probably still go and see it at the cinemas. But, unlike the last 2 times, it won't be on opening day.

I grew up with G1, looking back on it now, Season 2 and 3 were pretty bad. Still have a great love for Season 1 and the movie. With that in mind, what Bay did with the first movie was fantastic.

The second greatly upset me. I can't help but feel his "expert" advisors with their "encyclopedic" knowledge of the Transformers woke up one day and thought they'd try their luck. Autobots do not arbitrarily destroy anything, even Decepticons in hiding. Seems they were hiding for 100 years too without incident based on the photos Sector 7 had, yet never took a stand when us humans developed weaponry capable of hurting them. Wasn't 'til the Autobots showed up that the war started. Also, why bother breaking into military facilities, even Air Force One in the first film, when Soundwave can just hump a satellite. This just ruins the whole reasoning behind the first film.

When I heard Jetfire was in it, I got really excited. To see him include a walking stick in his transformation made me retch. I was all set to cast this disgust aside when he merged with Prime (wished there was an 'Optimal Optimus' reference, but no)... only to have Jetfires parts just cast aside like a piece of trash when he was done using him. No send-off or appreciation for the sacrifice. This isn't what Autobots are.

This brings us to the upcoming one. Going by the trailer, lets say the government was able to cover up the existence of a space-ship on the moon. Wouldn't the Autobots have picked it up on their way past in the first film? Or Starscream and that Fallen joke in the second? It feels like they've got the same losers and their ridiculous imagination from the second film to cash in on the franchise again.

Having just seen TF:Prime, it really puts in perspective - the movies are crap. Plus a Megatron without Welker isn't a Megatron at all.

Don't hate me.......... just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way.

BC

YAY My new friend

I grew up with G1, looking back on it now, Season 2 and 3 were pretty bad.
    Season 2 was "pretty bad"? I barely ever rewatch Season 3 which I could agree with you on, but season 2 has most of my favourite G1 episodes IMHO (Dinobot Island, Golden Lagoon, Key to Vector Sigma, Desertion of the Dinobots, Megatron's Master Plan, Masquerade for examples). I even like some of the more fun episodes like (Hoist Goes Hollywood, Kremzeek and The Girl Who Loved Powerglide).

However I agree that ROTF was both not a very good movie and also not a very good Transformers movie (particularly for its take on the Autobots, you know who park in a airport hanger between missions?)

Different voices than the cartoon though, and characters with the same names as old characters but are different characters (like Jetfire or Skids or Wheelie) aren't things that bother me at all though.

My expectations for ROTF were mixed. I'd seen five minutes before and while I'd been impressed with the merging of Devastator scene I hated seeing Bumblebee rip Ravage apart and tear of the arms of Rampage before shooting him in the head.

For DOTM I'm not expecting a great film but I am hoping it's closer to the first film than the second and hope they get things right and can impress us.

My main gripe about TF2 was that the writers changed Optimus from being the iconic 'childhood hero' that every other version has been to past fans. This one was cold, callous and calculating... pretty much Decepticon in his behaviour, from killing a disabled Decepticon without hesitation at the start, to using and then dumping the body of Jetfire like trash at the end. And since he was dead for most of the movie, he was certainly not one of the Hero elements of TF2.
    Those are the sorts of characteristics that Hasbro has power of veto over (one of the few things Bay doesn't have absolute power over in the TFs brand), with their small number of historically iconic characters, so this darkening of Optimus' character and removal of his 'hero' status would had to have been approved by Hasbro. Or else Bay is just making them so much money that they don't care what he does now.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    My main gripe about TF2 was that the writers changed Optimus from being the iconic 'childhood hero' that every other version has been to past fans. This one was cold, callous and calculating... pretty much Decepticon in his behaviour, from killing a disabled Decepticon without hesitation at the start...
    What about in the 1986 animated movie where "Childhood hero" G1 Prime has his gun aimed square at a crippled Megatron? No one gripes about that because Hot Rod didn't give Prime the chance to pull the trigger.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    so this darkening of Optimus' character and removal of his 'hero' status would had to have been approved by Hasbro. Or else Bay is just making them so much money that they don't care what he does now.
    Hot dog! We have a wiener!

No doubt hasbro loosened the strings when their purse was bursting at the seams thanks to Bay.

I am in the freak minority that enjoyed and likes ROTF (also spiderman 3 )

Was never off a fan of the passive aggressive Autobots, ah dudes, there is a whole fraction of Bots just waiting to annihilate you all, don't you think you should step it up a little?!

And thank you Bay, thats what you delivered. In addition to that, besides the dedicated fans, not many others want or like the 80's heroics. Its the new millennium, you want universal peace, you gonna have to murder and take down a few to achieve that!

Bay destroyed my childhood!

My mind will never be the same after seeing devestators privates!

The twins hate hate hate!!

Jolt was only on for 3 seconds!! Mad Rage all round!!!

I'm only going to watch the DVD once more this year as well if its on tv!!

Haha in all seriousness I didn't mind it overall, a couple of things I thought a bit odd when I first watched it was prime going bananas and why on earth there were so many of the same decepticon. It wasn't until I joined a couple of boards with all the so called 'fanboys' did I realise there was so much hate for it.

For DoTM yes I am looking forward to it more than any other movie of the year. Most likely becuase I have been following the news and previews about it unlike previous two I had no idea about what was happening until I saw them on the big screen.