Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Member location field in header.

Default Member location field in header.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    I saw quite a few of those Cybertron Deluxe repaints in Big Daddy, Jolt, Grindcore & Divebomb at a local Target too. They weren't even in the system yet . PM for location (Remember - "Parts Unknown" is located somewhere in Sydney )
    The whole point of me putting the location in the header is to make it easier for people to know what city or state you are in. If you change it to something useless, you're going to have to keep reminding people where you are, or having people contacting you who don't need to.
    I don't want people to know exactly what suburb or street you live in, but I might as well remove it from the post header if you aren't going to use it.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The whole point of me putting the location in the header is to make it easier for people to know what city or state you are in. If you change it to something useless, you're going to have to keep reminding people where you are, or having people contacting you who don't need to.
    I don't want people to know exactly what suburb or street you live in, but I might as well remove it from the post header if you aren't going to use it.
    You might as well remove it. There are 3 people who I keep in mind when I stumble across something new (& those 3 people know exactly what shopping centres I check out anyway).

griff, can you remove for specific person or that feature will be for all?
    won't everyone suffer just because of Pulse then since he doesn't wanna put up his location (which is his freedom to)

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Seriously don't worry about if Griffin, there's always at least one smartarse on every forum across the whole internet that likes to put silly things in their location fields.

Only becomes a real PITA when they decide they want to sell something.
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz R230
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 09:17 AM.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    there's always at least one smartarse on every forum across the whole internet that likes to put silly things in their location fields.
    & I would be the token "smartarse"?

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Only becomes a real PITA when they decide they want to sell something.
    When I have enough of certain TFs - This is what I do with them: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=253

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    griff, can you remove for specific person or that feature will be for all?
    won't everyone suffer just because of Pulse then since he doesn't wanna put up his location (which is his freedom to)
    It'd affect everyone if I changed the setting, but will have a look to see if it can just target individuals. It's not really something I wanted to make a fuss over though, but it just bugs me when I see a feature being wasted, like it is on other fan forums. And I wanted people here to feel like they are part of a community, by knowing who else is in their part of the country. If everyone put in some lame comment instead of a location, there'd be no point in having it, and we'd go back to the confusion of our previous board in which it wasn't as obvious where people were located (for sightings, fanmeet or sales postings).
    And like Iceburn mentioned, if a member doesn't want to put in their location (like due to privacy), they can just put in a dash.

Relocated posts out of toy sightings topic, into its own discussion topic, in case anyone wants to comment on why we should or shouldn't have the location field included here.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

It's not just Pulse... I'm guilty of it as well!

I used to have 'Adelaide' as my location, but now it's "A little to the left... a little bit more..." - I couldn't resist quoting Kup from TF:TM.

Usually, when I post a sighting, I try to name the store (location). But really (up until the last few months) for the past year or so there haven't been too many other SA members - so I didn't bother taking it too seriously.

But I see your point. And at the end of the day you're the boss. It doesn't bother me personally either way, but I'm more than happy to change it to a "real" location.

I'd prefer it left up. The vast majority of members use it in a helpful way and it is good to know how we are spread around the country, especially for meet-ups, trading etc.

Those that don't want to use the feature miss out I guess.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Leave it up there. Like Tiby said, most fans use it to identify where they're from.Some don't b/c they just prefer the privacy, some just use it for a bit of fun. And I think one of the things about the board here is everyone knows everyone anyway. For instance, I always remembered Pulse was from Sydney and I cpuld probably off the top of my head name 90% of guys on this board's state downunder.

Here's one that really bugs me, I saw it last night in the "who is online subsection"

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/member.php?u=212

He's a seller from Japan. I'm not sure if he's in Australia but why the heck are we letting guys like this in? I remember there was a thread about letting O/S fans in and there was overall a negative sentiment in. But we're going to let a foreigner who sells/scupts in ahead of international fans?

I'm not sure if there's more to it but prima facie I was a bit disappointed.

I'd much prefer to have international fans in than scalpers frequenting our boards and such. I've bought from him before, mind you and I'm happy w. the transaction and price but I just don't think it's right having some seller here ahead of other fans who could contribute to the depth and diversity of discussion on the board.