View Poll Results: DotM Deluxe Thundercracker - worth buying?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 50.00%
  • Only if cheap

2 12.50%
  • Only if (something else)

1 6.25%
  • No

1 6.25%
  • Not interested

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - DotM Deluxe Thundercracker

Default Toy Review - DotM Deluxe Thundercracker

Toy Review - DotM Deluxe Thundercracker

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Thundercracker
    Series - Dark of the Moon
    Sub-line - Mechtech
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco (Starscream)
    Wave - 3
    Released here - May 2011
    Approximate Retail Price - $24-30
    Approximate Size - 14cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - F-22 Raptor fighter jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Convertible Mechtech weapon
    Main Colours - Dark blue, grey, red
    Main Accessories - Mechtech weapon

My first DOTM Figure, he's purdy looking with minimal hasbro grey and a very nice shade of blue, the way they have coloured his head gives him a vague Tentakil vibe. Mech Tech weapon is cool. I like the idea of a chainsaw wielding seeker and the gun mode has a neat null ray look to it. I wish he came with two though.

Recommended!

I bought this rather than Deluxe Starscream, and it's a great mould and everything locks in place. So far, the DOTM line has the best movie toys: this is the best cinematic Starscream-mould yet, and at a sensible scale:

+its Thundercracker
    +nice blue colouring
    +good alt mode

-rubbish robot mode.
    -starscream's head sculpt
    -chicken legs
    -mech tech weapon is a chainsaw and half of starscream's mechtech weapon which is useless and looks out of place.

While this figure does look nice. I ended up returning it before I opened it. Why? I have a Voyager Movie Thundercracker. Just could not justify getting a deluxe too. After all its just a movie figure.

Yeah, if I already had Voyager moofie Thundercracker, I wouldn't bother getting this Deluxe. But I don't, so the Deluxe works well for me. I wasn't impressed enough with the TF1 Voyager Starscream mould to buy repaints/retools of it as Thundercracker, Skywarp and Ramjet - but a cheaper Deluxe is fine by me. Now I hope they'll do Skywarp (Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge would be nice, but I can live without them)

edit: *facepalms.self* Of course I already have ROTF Dirge -- Duh!! And they probably should repaint that mould as Thrust and Ramjet (certainly would be more appealing that a random repaint like Jetblade IMHO )

I was never a fan of the voyager Starscream from TF1 and do not like the aesthetic of the "tattoos" on subsequent Starscreams. However this figure looks quite nice in alt mode in packaging, the colours used are very eye catching and different when seen next to morbid grey Sideswipe, over yellow bumblebee and been there seen that black and hasbro grey bird/hover thing.

The normal arms and legs hidden under the wings is nicely hidden (still obviously there, but in a different configuration). The folding away of the wings and tailfins is different simplistic and adds to the basic transformation scheme that is easy enough for any youngster to memorise.

Sadly as it is a movie Starscream figure, the chimp arms and chicken legs are still present, making an awkwardly shaped and rather ugly robot mode. The head is also unchanged and very ungainly. The feet balance nicely in robot mode, but the posability of the figure is limited.

The Mechtech weapons remain consistant, rather lame and their inability the remain deployed is a detraction to the whole concept. The chainsaw does not work well with the Jet, and the blade does not look right in either mode due to it's moulding.

Thundercracker looks fantastic in Jet mode, but suffers in robot mode due to keeping Starscreams proportions. If the robot mode proportions do not bother you it is a very good deluxe figure, and well worht a pickup, especially with the toy sale prices coming soon.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

the robot proportions don't bother me cos it's a movie verse toy - so I can accept that he'd look like Starscream. Interestingly, when I got this toy they also had Generations Thundercracker on sale at the same time; so I guess if anyone wanted a "better looking" Thundercracker, they could go for that - whereas people looking for a Thundercracker with movie aesthetics can go for the DotM figure.

Or if you're awesome, get both! No such thing as to many Thundercrackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Or if you're awesome, get both! No such thing as to many Thundercrackers.
    i still regret buying the dotm version but i still love the generations and alternity thundercrackers ^_^