Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps for HK, Osaka, Tokyo & SG

I always thought it was considered rude to ask for discount in Japan so I was too scared too try it

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    I always thought it was considered rude to ask for discount in Japan so I was too scared too try it
    I think you are right. But we clearly look like foreigners and we clearly look like we are out to have a good time, so we ask anyway. And we always end up laughing about it with the shop-keeper, so all in all, everyone's having fun.

Osaka's a little different. You can't do it in chain stores, but for your independent stores they often enjoy it (as long as you're not a jerk about it).

Anyways @HD, I live in Osaka these days, so if you make it down here before the 6th or so and fancy a meet-up send us a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    http://mandarake.co.jp/information/customary/sitemap/
    Most of them open from 12:00 to 20:00.

Don't forget, if you're in Osaka, you can haggle with the manager at Hero Gangu! (if you can speak Japanese or have a Japanese speaker w/ you)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Gok is right on the money.

For the Sapporo Store, its 10.30 to 20.00, weird I know. But the Tokyo ones are all 12.00 to 20.00.

I've been haggling in English for the past years. And been getting freebies from him too. He now automatically gives me discounts as well... heh.

Thanks guys I can't wait to tell my missus that she's in for 8 hours there, I'm sure she will be over the moon
    Hunting:
    Beast Wars/Machines/Neo/Second

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Osaka's a little different. You can't do it in chain stores, but for your independent stores they often enjoy it (as long as you're not a jerk about it).

Anyways @HD, I live in Osaka these days, so if you make it down here before the 6th or so and fancy a meet-up send us a PM.
    hiya, have replied to your PM. Will definitely contact you if I am there (or when I am there next, heh).

It is considered rude and insulting, because it implies that you think that the seller's prices are unreasonable. But Hero Gangu is a special exception. But definitely don't try it anywhere else unless you've been told beforehand that it's okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    I think you are right. But we clearly look like foreigners and we clearly look like we are out to have a good time, so we ask anyway. And we always end up laughing about it with the shop-keeper, so all in all, everyone's having fun.
    Aaah... because I speak to staff in Japanese, I get the complete opposite reaction if I try it anywhere else - which was only once. It was in a store that I went to straight after Hero Gangu... I wasn't sure if it was just that store or maybe Osaka culture (as it was my 1st time in Osaka). Nope... it was just that store! The attendant at the other store indeed took offence to my question... so erm... yeah, don't do it.

This thread needs to be stickied hehehehe....very useful but quite a chore to find ... and I still haven't gone to Japan, sigh..... ah well, one of these days... one of these days....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    This thread needs to be stickied hehehehe....very useful but quite a chore to find ... and I still haven't gone to Japan, sigh..... ah well, one of these days... one of these days....
    I'm trying to build a page of fan resources here (which already includes HD's map posting), and am looking to add the two frequent questions - why does all Hasbro packaging have the Australia address on it, and how to post photos here.
    It's on my list of things to do at the moment, which I'm slowly working through (currently updating the price list and check list topics).

I still need to update my maps and look to do so very soon.

Am also considering adding a Malaysia section.

Hi everyone! (long time no post) I'm off to Japan over October 18-November 21st and will be backpacking around Honshu via train with a rail pass. I did a search for my specific questions and I could not immediately find what I was after so I apologise in advance for digging this thread up.

My questions after reading a few threads here are:

1. As I will be backpacking (barely have 50 litres in a pack) I will need to consider using Japan Post or another postal service to ship large items back as I just wont have the ability to store them, as I will never be in one place for longer than 3 days at a time. Is Japan Post logistically usable by a foreigner to ship items to Australia and is it feasable? I also understand that when writing an address to send overseas whilst in Japan you need to write everything in reverse (i.e. first country, then street, then name of recipient last, correct?)

2. (non-tf related) I am visiting the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka and I will be taking a train on the Ueno line to get their via Shinjuku. I don't intend on using my rail pass to get there but rather my Suica card which can be used in metropolitan Tokyo. My question is can I use a Suica card on the Ueno line all the way to Mitaka/ is this still within the usable zone for a Suica card?
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy