Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we let foreigners in as members?

who knows what type of viruses these foreighners are carrying

well done internet customs

A little to the left... a little bit more...

I tend to agree with the majority of people in this thread... keep Ozformers local!

I also agree with Gok - If I want to read pages and pages of material that may or may not be relevant to me, I can go to any one of the major TF sites!

I come to Ozformers because I can discuss "local" issues, read "relevant" topics, ask questions which get helpful responses and great advice, and even buy stuff of other members (Alternators Rodimus for example) that I wouldn't otherwise be able to!

Since I got one very angry responce from an American who was refused access, I thought that maybe I can post here the details of the person who is not local and why they want to be here, and give a week for people to say yes or no - that way I can show to them that it wasn't my choice if they are refused entry, and I don't have to get the brunt of their abuse.

I say thee nay!

Or let them in.. maybe with a flag of where they're from?

I can't imagine why a foreigner would want to join rather than hang out at seibertron, tfw2005, etc., but also I can't see how it would hurt us either... again, unless it's an issue of spamming, which I'm pretty sure we're not too into regardless of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by springah
    Or let them in.. maybe with a flag of where they're from?
    They already do that on other international forums. OzFormers is meant to be an Australasian forum for Australasian fans, and I don't see any problem with keeping it that way.

There are plenty of other board communities which are regionally exclusive such as for Nordic fans, Dutch fans, Transformers New Zealand, Transformers Hong Kong etc. - most Japanese boards have a policy stating that users can only post in Japanese (posts in other languages are expressly disallowed).

If people want to go on a more international community, then there are plenty of international boards out there for them to join.

I'd love to hear why this person wanted to join.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    They already do that on other international forums. OzFormers is meant to be an Australasian forum for Australasian fans, and I don't see any problem with keeping it that way.

There are plenty of other board communities which are regionally exclusive such as for Nordic fans, Dutch fans, Transformers New Zealand, Transformers Hong Kong etc. - most Japanese boards have a policy stating that users can only post in Japanese (posts in other languages are expressly disallowed).

If people want to go on a more international community, then there are plenty of international boards out there for them to join.
    So what happens if i move to the US for a few years? :P
    Or i might just like Aussie fans better? I dunno, just seems dumb to say "no foreigners allowed!"

What about if it is allowed, but it is recommended against or discouraged unless they really really want to?
    And maybe have a maximum quota as well to make sure we keep the discussion local (like 5 or 10% non-local fans)?

What do you think, a quota system, or a vote on each applicant?

Both good ideas, Griff.

I say just get the mods to keep an eye on the new guys..