Thread: 2011 Flashback Review - Transformers (1986) Movie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2011 Flashback Review - Transformers (1986) Movie

I'm seeing if we can make Boxing day a commemorative day for the Original Transformers series and Movie, as it was the day of release of the 1986 Movie in Australia.

Yes, it has now been 25 years today since that Movie hit our big screens here... what are your thoughts on it, both now and then?

So if you have a chance over the Christmas long weekend, pop on the DVD/Video/laserdisc/digital copy etc, and post up what you think of it right now (after watching it), and what you thought of it the first time you saw it (and when that was).

This was the first ever movie I went to see with a friend without supervision (we were 6, so it was a big deal), and it has stuck with me so long. Although I didn't watch it today, I watched it 2 days ago, so it's still quite fresh in my mind. I'm not really a reviewer or critic, but as is, flaws and all, it is truly a staple in my existence. Yes, some may delve into it's animation/plot/continuity/physics/colour errors, but for a 6 year old TF fan seeing it on the bigscreen, it couldn't get any better (well, aside from an entire MISB G1 series landing in your lap (ouch!)). That is how I prefer to remember it, so I re-watch it with a pinch of salt, remembering that it is indeed 25 years old, it is indeed to advertise toys, and it is indeed one of my fondest memories.

Please have a listen to my songs. Feel free to comment if you wish, any constructive feedback is appreciated =o)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisun View Post
    This was the first ever movie I went to see with a friend without supervision (we were 6, so it was a big deal),
    Absolutely! I was a bit older and went with my brother and cousin (who was 3 and fell asleep during the film) - and we were supervised by my father. The first movie I was allowed to watch in a cinema without adult supervision was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!

I should be able to find 80 min some time today to watch the movie (heh, ironic... just this morning I was talking to Ben Yee about TFTM on DVD )

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The first movie I was allowed to watch in a cinema without adult supervision was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!
    Lols, that was my second unsupervised film outing XD Still puuurty cool in my memory bank, but not as cool as TFTM =o)

Please have a listen to my songs. Feel free to comment if you wish, any constructive feedback is appreciated =o)

That's funny, as it was also my first "unsupervised" movie, as I went with a friend I had recently met, to a theatre in Ipswich that was about 10 minutes walk away from the motel we were staying at.
    I guess that next level of independence in our childhoods helped make this particular movie more significant in our lives.

When I went to see it, I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, because I didn't even know it existed before my friend asked me about going to see it... and I think I may have been thinking it would just be an extra long regular episode.
    Then again, the UK comic story "Target 2006" story may have been here by then (it was out around September in the UK, and the Movie was out here some 4 months after the US), so I may have been prepared for the new characters and setting.
    I don't even think I was upset over Prime's death... I do remember that we were both just so amazed at what we had just experienced.

I think I went to see it for my birthday. My Mum went with me as well. She says she was bored, as she believes that I made her see this and Mcahinemen and the Rock lords in the same week

I know I was upset at the death of Prime, but not enough to be too sad about it, especially since he always showed up in the early season TV cartoon repeats. However I must admit that my interest started dropping off as the Transformers galavanted about space. I didn't really get back in until Powermaster Op was about, so I guess there ya go, I was affected more than I thought...

I enjoy it still to be honest, I keep a copy on my laptop and put it on when at work. Rarely actually watching it, just litening. Kind of like Monty Python, doing my own impersonation of the characters as they speak.

When I sat down to watch it when I got the DVD (the longest break as I hadn't found it on video), I remember thinking "Wow, that's action right from the start to the end." I still think that now, the action never really lets up.

Sttill enjoy it now, more as an audio feature I guess though.