Page 83 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6373787980818283848586878893103 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I just found out that the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC one weren't the only ones out there for Hasbro to jump on the bandwagon... Universal have a shared "Monsters" universe that is still only one movie in so far, with a reboot of The Mummy being the second one next year (with Russell Crowe as Dr Jekyll).
    Admittedly, Universal had characters and actors cross over in their 1930s to 1950s monster movies (probably the very first shared movie universe), but this one looks to be like the first phase MCU, with each movie specifically being in the same time era and universe and have guest appearances of characters in other movies... but unlikely to have a group monster movie like the Avengers movie (unless they plan to do something similar to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie).

The last Mummy series was only about 15 years ago, with the third one being only 5 years before this new Monsters Universe was being proposed, which seems a bit soon. Those three Mummy movies are still very watchable, so if it weren't for this combined universe we probably wouldn't get another one (like the Hulk and Spiderman movie reboots in such short time, just to include them in the MCU).

The view askewniverse beat them all to the punch. Better movies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    The view askewniverse beat them all to the punch. Better movies too.
    Ah, the Kevin Smith movies (I had to look it up).

I only ever watched Dogma though, as it was the only one that looked interesting from the advertisements or trailers.

I'm not sure if he actually pre-planned anything to make it a proper shared universe, as each later movie looked to refer in some way to a previous one... or just have a recurring character or two (like Jay & Silent Bob).
    Looking at the recurring actors (Kevin liked to reuse people), very few would play the same character between each movie... so it might be a shared universe, but that universe has a lot of clones.

So i found Godzilla VS King Ghidorah on SBS. Didn't know how dumb Americans were lol.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Looking at the recurring actors (Kevin liked to reuse people), very few would play the same character between each movie... so it might be a shared universe, but that universe has a lot of clones.
    Affleck and Jason Lee play two characters each in Jay & Silent Bob strike back

Went to see Independence Day 2 on Friday and it's just as I expected. A more elaborate affair as the special effects will show you but definitely don't expect deep and insightful storytelling. Leave that to the Batman and Matrix trilogies.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    Saw X-Men Apocalypse on Saturday night. I liked it, it was a good movie, definately not the best X Men film, but close to the top for me.
    Not a bad movie but was predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Not a bad movie but was predictable.
    Never felt any danger for any of the characters and no real twists either. A good popcorn flick but nothing more.

TMNT 2 was as bad as I expected, sounded like a TF movie, had a camaro in it, awful CGI and over reliance on explosions and was so poorly written I almost thought it was a TF movie.

The movies just cannot seem to make Shredder out to be a dangerous and nigh undefeatable villain.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The thing with Xmen nowadays is that given the ending of Days of Future Past showed all the Xmen alive and well, you know that certain characters will never die in any movies set before it.

That's coz Days Of Futures Past reset the timeline. Much like Flash does on a regular basis haha

Damn it! I'm actually considering buying the Xbox One S just for it's UHD Blu-ray playback. My TV can only do the 4K part of the UHD spec, but hey, at least I can then begin building a UHDBD collection and start watching them, even if they are not displayed in the full UHD format.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.