I'm really new to this. I haven't bought a Transformers comic for nearly 20 years. I found myself not knowing what was going on with all these new figures that I was buying who had back stories that made no sense to me.

Then they had a sale on 62 issues of MTMTE and the other one, so I got them to read on my iPad.

The comments above have been good to read, but I find myself a bit stuck on some things. I am up to Issue 5 (I think) of MTMTE and so far I like the story but I'm a bit unsure about the attitude to death of fellow bots. Rodimus keeps saying "Not on my watch" etc, but they keep dying and he doesn't seem to care. I first thought there was a real Star Trek Original Series vibe to the story (Rodimus = Kirk, Ultra Magnus = Spock, Ratchet = McCoy, Drift = Sulu(?)) but Kirk was always hurt by the loss of a crewman.

Then in the plague episode where Drift cuts up the patient who was looking for help - there was just no reaction to the cold-blooded murder of Dent. No shock at the killing, no attempt to justify it as euthanasia, nothing. I don't know if Drift is punished for this later, but I suspect not.

Is this just a normal part of IDW? I'm afraid reading the comics might be a mistake for me, rather than just learning the gloss of the characters from the biographies, etc.