View Poll Results: TFPrime Dlx Wheeljack - worth buying?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 76.19%
  • Only if...

3 14.29%
  • No

2 9.52%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime DLX Wheeljack

Default Toy Review - TFPrime DLX Wheeljack

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Wheeljack
    Series - TFPrime
    Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
    Size/class - Deluxe/Revealer
    Wave - 1 (Regular series)
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - Should be here March (Released globally Jan 2012)
    Approximate Retail Price - ($24-30?) US$12
    Approximate Size - (14cm?)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Sports car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - none?
    Main Colours - White, black, red
    Main Accessories - 2 swords

Last edited by griffin; 7th April 2012 at 12:49 AM.

I picked Wheeljack today at TRU for $30. Despite the price gouge I really wanted this figure. So yes my opinion of this figure will be biased. Wheeljack was the first TF I got as a kid. It broke my heart when it was stolen at school all those years ago...

What The Math? SWORDS? by ENsoehardi, on Flickr

I'll post a few photos here but you can see more on my flickr account or just by searching the web.

I'll start with the figure's cons:

• OMG he has swords like Drift
    • He doesn't invent things that go BOOM (unconfirmed)
    • The knee spurs keep folding back on his leg
    • No bicep swivel
    • His vehicle attack mode is nonsense
    • Window/ windscreen hang off forearms
    • No Autobot insignia (What's up with that Hasbro?)
    • Bit of a hunchback
    • "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Deluxe Revealer"

TEEF by ENsoehardi, on Flickr

And now the figure's pros:

• It's Wheeljack
    • His vehicle mode is cute, petite and angular (if he was sprayed black he'd be a stealth car! Or Slicer. Hmm...)
    • Vehicle mode weapons storage
    • He is really easy and fun to transform
    • Robot mode is nicely proportioned
    • Weapons store on back
    • Paint apps are a stylised version of the G1 figure
    • Figure has good stability
    • Decent articulation (I count 13 points)

This would be easier with bicep swivel by ENsoehardi, on Flickr

Now for something completely different! What other characters could you mod him into?

• Makeshift (no mods necessary! Maybe red eyes.)
    • Slicer (or Stealth Mode Wheeljack. Black, blue, whatevs.)
    • Chromedome
    • Arcee (to fit in with the whole, "Arcee was gonna be a Chromedome repaint.")
    • Sideswipe (Swords!)
    • Sunstreaker
    • Hotrod
    • I guess Drift

Yes my review is a bit light on commentary but there has been a stack of reviews of this Wheeljack (Not mine, they all bought their own.) on Youtube. I just wanted to give you guys my opinion on this figure and that is, "Yes he's worth the purchase."
    If you can get it cheaper he is definitely worth it!

SMHF Convoy

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    I picked Wheeljack today at TRU for $30. Despite the price gouge I really wanted this figure.
    $30 is the standard RRP for a Deluxe in Australia and has been for quite some time. Quite a few retailers do discount to $25, but $30 is pretty average. $35 is excessive (which is how much Myers charges for their DLXes ).

I'll start with the figure's cons:
    [*]He doesn't invent things that go BOOM (unconfirmed)
    I don't see how that's a con for the toy. It may be a con for the character on the show -- one of several (he's really only Wheeljack in name and appearance; in actuality he's more like Drift -- hence the fan nickname "Driftjack" ).

[*]No Autobot insignia (What's up with that Hasbro?)
    YEAH! Deluxe Optimus Prime and Soundwave also have no insignias too!

And now the figure's pros:
    [*]Paint apps are a stylised version of the G1 figure
    And thus bristling with Italian patriotism! Salva la nostra economia!

Now for something completely different! What other characters could you mod him into?
    [*]Makeshift (no mods necessary! Maybe red eyes.)
    Nah, give him a new head - one that has the mouth exposed instead of the G1-esque "faceguard" That'll give people who already have Wheeljack a greater incentive to get this toy. Also give him a Decepticon rub sign.

[*]Slicer (or Stealth Mode Wheeljack. Black, blue, whatevs.)
    I'd get this

[*]Arcee (to fit in with the whole, "Arcee was gonna be a Chromedome repaint.")
    Call her Elita-1 or Chromia or something to avoid confusion with the existing TFP Arcee character/toy.

Oh man those swords make him look like a murderous badass. Can't wait to get mine!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    $30 is the standard RRP for a Deluxe in Australia and has been for quite some time. Quite a few retailers do discount to $25, but $30 is pretty average. $35 is excessive (which is how much Myers charges for their DLXes ).
    Whatevs. I could've waited for it to come out at Kmart, Big W or work where I'd get a staff discount. I really wanted him!

I don't see how that's a con for the toy. It may be a con for the character on the show -- one of several (he's really only Wheeljack in name and appearance; in actuality he's more like Drift -- hence the fan nickname "Driftjack" ).
    I did say that was uncomfirmed. WJ's supposed to back season 2 so they might play up the inventor side. Also the way the character was portrayed for 22 mins may actually put them off from buying this figure. Anyway in my head WJ invents things and can use swords!

YEAH! Deluxe Optimus Prime and Soundwave also have no insignias too!
    The factions and the symbols are blatant and obvious in the show you'd think they'd be stamped with the respective factions... But upon further consideration the mainline is skewed towards 5+ so their figures can be good guys bad guys dependant on mood, weather or whatever. KIDS!

Nah, give him a new head - one that has the mouth exposed instead of the G1-esque "faceguard" That'll give people who already have Wheeljack a greater incentive to get this toy. Also give him a Decepticon rub sign.
    I'll leave that to you. Too much effort. I'd rather make him into Chromedome

Call her Elita-1 or Chromia or something to avoid confusion with the existing TFP Arcee character/toy.
    CHUG Arcee. Happy now?

OOOoooh yeah, mine's just been shipped from BBTS. Can't wait, this figure looks great!

But upon further consideration the mainline is skewed towards 5+ so their figures can be good guys bad guys dependant on mood, weather or whatever. KIDS!
    Kids know the difference between factions and would appreciate logos. That was one (of many) things that made Transformers cooler than say Gobots when I was a kid. I often have kids walking past my car and pointing at the Autobot logos going, "Transformers! Mummy look, an Autobot!" etc. Kids would also notice the inconsistency too; i.e. all the other toys have logos but not DLX Prime and Wheeljack - not to mention it's plastered all over the packaging (and packaging art).

I'll leave that to you. Too much effort. I'd rather make him into Chromedome
    Oh right, you were talking about customising - sorry, I thought you were referring to a future redeco/retool by Hasbro. Oops.

Kids know the difference between factions and would appreciate logos. That was one (of many) things that made Transformers cooler than say Gobots when I was a kid. I often have kids walking past my car and pointing at the Autobot logos going, "Transformers! Mummy look, an Autobot!" etc. Kids would also notice the inconsistency too; i.e. all the other toys have logos but not DLX Prime and Wheeljack - not to mention it's plastered all over the packaging (and packaging art).
    Do you take everything so literally? Or do you just troll the boards to nit pick on every little thing?

If a kid decides that they like Megatron so much that to him or her, Megs can be a good guy. It's a toy you play with it and you use some imagination.

I'm not an idiot and I certainly don't think that kids are idiots but they show a lot more plasticity in imagination.

Do you take everything so literally? Or do you just troll the boards to nit pick on every little thing?
    Noone's trolling (and noone's calling you an idiot, either). Please, both of you settle down and return to discussing WoollyMammothJack

/staff

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I picked Wheeljack today at TRU for $30...
    Great review, SMTFC!