Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Board and Domain technical issues unable to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Editting of posts has been changed to one hour from posting it. Editting of posts beyond that time is unlikely, and if it is in an active topic, an hour could see a page of replies, making it unecessary. Besides, I don't want to see people editting their posts days later, just because they have a change of mind. It is better to see a new posting for the new thoughts/ideas.
    This is certainly the more standard approach, but was there demand or cause for this "feature"? FWIW, I don't think the Melboure Missionaries thread can live without it. Perhaps it can be restored on a per thread basis?

jay...the workaround would be to copy/paste and post it and later delete the previous post (if deleting is still possible?)

anyways...have fun jay!!

[edit] griffin, this has affected us editing signatures isn't it??
    I'm trying to update my signature with the TF count and acquisition but was replied with:

500 - Internal Server Error - The web server cannot process your request. Please try again or contact the admin of the website you are attempting to access

Delete would be fine, but I suspect it is a subset of Edit.

EDIT: Ice, sig editing is a different, known issue.

I can see how preventing the editing of posts in Discussion threads can be useful but what about other types of thread?

The edit thing can be a problem in places like updating a list of sold items, Updating a pic gallery or instructions/guides in Grapple's Artistic Creation.

Is it possible to have this rule only apply to certain sections?

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Have you tried logging into cpanel and checking the error logs? Might give some insight. Alternatively, if you can backup the files/db and pass them onto me, i could test the forum as is on a different server for you.
    Error logs didn't give any help. Creating a new database is an option I am thinking of doing tonight when I get home from work, but will take a few hours to do, as I will need to backup the current one to make sure nothing is lost. If that doesn't fix anything, I'll consider your offer, but it's a big chunk of data - how would I be able to get it to you, easily?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    This is certainly the more standard approach, but was there demand or cause for this "feature"? FWIW, I don't think the Melboure Missionaries thread can live without it. Perhaps it can be restored on a per thread basis?
    There was cause for it, because it had been misused on a number of occasions by certain people. But the topics that require first postings to remain editable (like fan-meets, sales, etc) may mean turning this function back to the way it was. I'll see if there is an admin or mod function to exclude certain topics or sections, but I doubt it. I'll post back here tonight on what I have done or can do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Error logs didn't give any help. Creating a new database is an option I am thinking of doing tonight when I get home from work, but will take a few hours to do, as I will need to backup the current one to make sure nothing is lost. If that doesn't fix anything, I'll consider your offer, but it's a big chunk of data - how would I be able to get it to you, easily?
    I'll get back to you on the size thing. How big is the forum and DB?

What about vBulletin errors? Under vbulletin options > error handling & logging you should be able to set it up if it's not already. I think the default is to send to tech email, which'd mean you're already receiving them.. but thought i'd mention it incase it's disabled.

I tells yah, its becomming a bit of a chore to post. My two favourite forums have both gone through upgrades over the last couple of weeks and itd hard to really post now on both.

Edit tags on posts shouldn't be an issue for those with nothing to hide. So others know you've editted your post, but does this adversely affect your message?

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I've needed to edit stuff after i've had a long ten count