I don't remember what program it was, but my first introduction to 3D modelling was a simplified program I used to build objects for the Tomb Raider Level Editor program.

It basically just consisted of an interface that allowed you to draw shapes onscreen, then pull the size/shape around by "grabbing" handles.

That's what I'm looking for, a simple program that is just about drawing/modelling and nothing else.

I spent one hour in Blender trying to figure out how to sculpt a 5mm post and never actually figured it out.
Prior to that, I'd been tinkering around with the program for roughly a year trying to create objects for a Fallout 4 mod and never succeeded.

So given that I just don't understand Blender despite all the time I've invested in learning it, I'm not going to waste any more time that could be dedicated to working with a better program.

I'm also still trying to work out how exactly to relate an object to a real world item.
My test case is I'm trying to build an external shell device for Sludge and am uncertain how I can sculpt an object to precisely fit around his apatosaurus mode without printing it multiple times to check I got the size and post positions right.

I don't actually have a 3D printer at home, so I'll have to rely on the virtual model until I figure out how to print my test models conveniently.