Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We have to move then...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    A new server host has been found and in the process of signing up to it. They operate 24hours, 7 days a week, so with any luck, we should be operating there by the beginning of next week.
    It uses a dynamic IP though, but they said they should be still providing a direct link to their server for people to use until their ISPs' DNS registries are updated.
    Back with more soon.
    The new server uses a dynamic IP? Sounds like a server sitting on a cable or ADSL connection if that's the case and reeks of unprofessionalism.

On second read, I think you mean virtual hosting, but they give a unique name at their own domain name for each site, thus giving you instant access, e.g.

s12354.mediatemple.net

OK we will need to set up a step by step walkthrough if there is anything involved apart from hitting OTCA go..........

Griffin, have you considered hosting the DNS separately AWAY from the rest of the website? If you did, and kept a low Time-To-Live, you could repoint the DNS to a new host and only deal with a five minute transition. I heavily recommend this. everydns.net is a free DNS provider, although I'm not sure if they let you reduce the TTL to 300.

I'm not that tech-minded, so will be keeping the transition as simple as possible. That way, if anything goes wrong, the new server host can deal with fixing it.

Sledge hammer and gas axe will fix any problem

As offered before, I'm happy to help, and I strongly recommend this separation as it will prevent any future confusion about where the new site is located.