Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Knock Off? (post here for help)

When I was in the US, I would never trust a eBay seller from china (2000s) at the time because it could be fake. Especially with shoes. Unfortunately, some create US accounts but ship from china/asia.
    The worse was when someone sold me a jordan xi dmp when he gave me size 11 instead of my correct size. Then suddenly disappeared from eBay and this guy was from Canada. I was forced to sell what could be a knockoff but I didn't know. So far the guy I sold it to hasn't complained yet. . Could be legit after all

I can understand why people may be reflexively apprehensive of Chinese toys as being illegit -- having travelled to China I found that the majority of TFs I found in stores there were fakes. It's actually real hard to find legit TFs in China! Ironically it's the reverse in Japan where most TFs are legit and finding fakes is such a rarity, there are some Japanese collectors who intentionally collect fakes because they see it as a novelty (because it's so uncommon).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Ironically it's the reverse in Japan where most TFs are legit and finding fakes is such a rarity, there are some Japanese collectors who intentionally collect fakes because they see it as a novelty (because it's so uncommon).
    THIS! I wasn't even able to find third party stuff in japan. I'm guessing illegitimate goods must be heavily looked down upon by collectors there, not to mention the legal repercussions of selling such things.

I found shopping for transformers in HK really difficult too, because there was probably as many fakes as there was genuine items.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    THIS! I wasn't even able to find third party stuff in japan. I'm guessing illegitimate goods must be heavily looked down upon by collectors there, not to mention the legal repercussions of selling such things.
    It's also because the Japanese govt does tightly enforce copyright laws. The best place to find unlicensed stuff is in specialty collectable stores, not regular stores. A lot of Japanese fans refer to 3rd party items as "Knock Offs", or sometimes "Chinese Knock Offs." fwiw I did pipe up and said that 3rd party items aren't the same as KOs. But yeah, in my experience Japanese collectors don't discriminate between KOs and 3rd party items much... it's all the same to them (re: anything unlicensed = KO).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SET-OF-SI...0bb71af&_uhb=1

not sure if ligit? any ideas, limited pics......

That set should be legit, as I don't think it was KO'ed.
    It was released here around 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That set should be legit, as I don't think it was KO'ed.
    It was released here around 1992.
    excellent. got a good price on it too i think. cheers for that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lj7369 View Post
    excellent. got a good price on it too i think. cheers for that!!!!
    Nice. Cant go wrong at +/-$13 a figure.

How accurate are the guides online which show the differences between knock off dinobots and real ones?
    Like I'm looking at this one on ebay and while the arms look ok compared to this-

the feet don't look ok compared to this-

Should I just ignore any Grimlocks that have the double marks on the feet to be safe, or are there some legit ones with the double markings?
    I actually see a few that look 99% legit (like this one) the only thing that seems off is they have the two spots on the front claws (check the second picture on the second auction) as compared to one on each claw in the comparison picture.

Just checked, My classic grimlock from 1992 has 2 spots.on his hands/feet. Although the 2 screws on the single talon are further apat than the picture on the lower right hand side.
    No spots on his trex arms