Thread: Cancelled Target 2-pack found on ebay

Default Cancelled Target 2-pack found on ebay

One of the TF3 exclusive sets announced at last year's BotCon was a 2-pack of Deluxe Topspin and Deluxe Leadfoot. Topspin would have been a redeco (noted as being called Twintwist), while Leadfoot would have been fully decoed with Target labels, as it was going to be the only US release of that mould.
    In the end, Deluxe Leadfoot was only released in Japan, without any sponsor logos.
    This 2-pack on ebay has Topspin in its normal colours (toy and picture on the back), while Leadfoot has all of its sponsor logos. It even has a Target exclusive sticker on the packaging.
    The name of the set is "Autobot Team Racers", with a street diorama packaging.
    Each comes with its regular mechtech weapon. Pics can be see here, as they have been taken down from the ebay listing (it sold for $300).

So, what does this one on ebay mean? Either the 2-pack is back on for release, or this was just a pre-production sample used for promoting it to Target execs, and is now the only one in existence.
    Time will tell, if more of these appear on ebay, or in stores in America within the next couple weeks. If we don't see any more within the next couple weeks, then I guess someone owns a one-of-a-kind set, including one rare Deluxe Leadfoot toy with Target logos.
    A sample first surfaced July 2011 after it was revealed at BotCon and SDCC, and another sample appeared in September, so maybe this set has just been sitting around since then.

I'd like to see a fully painted Deluxe Leadfoot toy released, to go with the set...

$300 isn't a bad price for a very, very rare set. Congrats to the buyer and I hope they post up many many photos in High-Def of this set and not try to resell it again in future for a much higher price

The buyer is probably hoping it is a one-off sample, which would be a great price for it... but if it did appear in stores next week for $30, imagine how he'd feel.

(I for one am hoping it isn't a one-off sample... as the seller was in North Eastern USA, and doesn't seem to be selling anything else rare or unusual - but I guess he could work for Target and scammed it from one of his bosses... who knows.)

Decepticon Guest

I got a deluxe leadfoot from eBay few months back for around $60( no target logo but who cares). Got a deluxe topspin for $15 at kmart. Much rather pay $75 instead of $300.

It is always a gamble for the buyers of "unreleased so far" figures. With a unique paint scheme if this is a rare sample then I would have bought it for 300.

Also, if a retailer turns around and says "no" to Hasbro you can really see the wasted effort here, it does not look like simply mocked up.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I don't care how rare they are, they're a couple of $25 deluxe toys made in the last year - not an unreleased set from 1984 and guaranteed as a true one-of-a-kind toy. The buyer has more dollars than sense. I expect to see more of these appearing in the next couple of months.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

If no more appear it could be worth quite a lot of money one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    If no more appear it could be worth quite a lot of money one day.
    imagine if they opened it...