Anyway, I just wanted to pitch the idea of members helping to fund the board through private donations and maybe fundraising activities. I think it'd be useful to have some kind of incentive to encourage donations (e.g.: rewards, recognition etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
I would be happy to donate, but I don't like the class divide.
I wasn't thinking about creating a class divide, but if individuals are willing to contribute some of their own money into the upkeep of this board, then why not reward them with some token privilege(s)? It's not to say that contributing members are any better or worse than non-contributing members, but just to recognise those that choose to contribute. *shrug* Maybe we could just have "Member" and "Contributing Member" as ranks. That seems more matter-of-factly to me. *shrugs.again*

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
All of us after signing up to the board are already labelled as "member". Instead of playing with ranks, I suggest we can have a "donar thread" listing any new donation. But a donar can have his/her name hidden or unlisted if he/she wishes to.
That's not a bad idea. The thread would definitely have to be a sticky.

My only concern with that, compared to the rank suggestion, is that it may not create as much awareness of the option of donate to new members. Unless a new member happens to look at that part of the board and read that thread, s/he may not actually take much notice of it and may not be quite so aware that such an option exists.

IMO the advantage of the 'rank' is that every time a contributing member posts, it will have the words "Contributing Member" under that user name, thus generating awareness of the contribution option. It is in effect advertising the option, but I think it's important to do that if we want to encourage new members to donate. I say encourage, not force or coerce, which I sense is the concern from some people who've criticised this suggestion (which is a fair enough concern too).

But I suppose we need to explore ways to advertise the option without making it seem 'elitist.'

Another idea is perhaps to have a banner on the board as an actual advert for donations. The banner could point to a web page on otca.com.au which informs users about how they can make a donation.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone seems to be so supportive with the idea of making private donations to the board - it's really good to see. I would like to come up with some idea on how to advertise the option to promote awareness for current and future members.