Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Most toys don't appreciate very well, if at all. And of those who do, they usually have an extremely slow rate of appreciation (unless it's something special like a limited exclusive of course). IMO it's better to collect toys because it's something you enjoy rather than as a form of investment. If people want to invest their money, they're better off buying stockmarket shares, blue chips or just opening a long term savings account at a bank.

Anyway, here's my decision dilemma:
I have a contact in Japan who's gradually getting me various toys and is holding them at his place until everything's done and send them off to me in one package. This is what I'd initially asked him to do because with Japan Post, the cost of shipping gets relatively cheaper per kg with larger and bulkier boxes. But the wait is frustrating. So far he's gotten me Arms Micron Skywarp, Arms Micron Breakdown and TF Generations 2012. Masterpiece Sunstorm should be coming out for me later this month. Then there's nothing until December when United Artfire comes out, then later Amazon MP Lambor and Amazon MP Soundwave... so it may be early to mid 2013 by time everything arrives at my friend's place and he ends off shipping it all off to me!

As I said, the wait is frustrating... but also part of me is kinda fearful that I may be putting all my eggs in one basket, if you take my meaning... i.e. if anything should happen to that one box during transit, then an entire year's worth of TF purchases could be compromised. So... should I:
a) Ask my friend to send me the Arms Micron toys, book and MP Sunstorm first in one package, then United Artfire and the MPs in a second box later on (and pay for two shipments), or...
b) Stick to my original plan and just be patient. Possibly pay extra for registered or insured postage since it's a single shipment. Although that can get really expensive which would probably negate any savings made from a single shipment... might be cheaper to get them sent to me in 2-3 shipments.

I'm already getting most of these toys relatively cheap because they have earlybird discounts for preorders... and AM Skywarp was purchased during a toy sale from local retail. AM Breakdown and the TF Gen book may be the only 2 items that I'm paying full RRP for, so considering that I'm already making a saving on the price of the items, maybe I shouldn't be so tight with the cost of postage. Thoughts/advice?
It really depends on the saving and if your in financial strain, but i would get what he already has for you sent now and than get him to send another package when the rest comes out. Also it can be beneficial with less items sent, more padding can be used to secure all items, but the more items sent together i would imagine less padding would be used cause the boxes hold each other in place, and i usually find if that is the case, dents may appear on various sides of the boxes.