View Poll Results: How do you rate the FOC game?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

28 65.12%
  • Good

10 23.26%
  • Passable

3 6.98%
  • Terrible

2 4.65%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Review - Fall of Cybertron

I was customising my characters the other day and I think part of the issue with online is that when you start, with your imited weapons and upgrades, you are at quite a disadvantage until you can power up a bit.

I can see why, but it's off-putting when you are new. A crap at online like me...

Just finished the game! I enjoyed it very much with the biggest game design flaw being that it was way too short at about 8 hours or so.

Before I post more detailed views on the game itself, I will do a 'Pros & Cons' from what I have seen in the PS3 Demo and full PC game for people who are still deciding on a platform.

Good:

- PC has much richer colors and sharper graphics. It runs a lot smoother and it is a lot easier to notice details - To me, this is a huge point in favor of the PC.

- Mouse&Keyboard. Sorry Console guys, but controllers suck when it comes to free float aiming. Since I have now dedicated several hours to shooters on the PS3, I have become used to handling the controller and become reasonably good at it but I still think it sucks when compared to the mouse.

Cons:

- Pre-rendered Cutscenes are glitchy when it comes to audio on PC. You will notice the volume going down and if you have 5.1 speakers, speech audio will not center properly by coming out from side speakers. However it isn't as bad as it sounds as the 'game' rendered cut-scenes work great and so does the rest of the game.

- Main Menu is not animated but a static picture of Cybertron. (unfortunately this is a 'preview' for something worse )

- The credits are not animated but a slide show of pics! - This to me is the biggest crime when it comes to the PC release. There is no reason for them to have done this! The PC is the superior platform when it comes to hardware and was clearly able to handle every other rendered and pre-rendered cutscene in the game but they couldn't add animated credits?

Overall - I believe that the PC version gives you the best gaming experience. It has noticeably superior graphics with no 'in-game' glitches like slowdowns in combat (although in some parts it did pause for half a second when it transitioned from one level to the next as it loaded).

In game sound on the PC is also very good taking good use of all speakers although I did feel that the action muddled the music but this was true with the PS3 too.

As mentioned, the worse things with the PC game is that the audio goes a bit low in cut-scenes and doesn't seem to come out from the right speakers and that the credits are not animated. However none of these takes much away from your enjoyment of the game itself and what's better certainly outweighs the bad by a lot.
    Last edited by kup; 26th September 2012 at 12:04 AM.

The credits for the PS3 version (at the end of the game) had animations of characters running around, doing "amusing" things.
    I guess they had to skimp a bit on the PC version to get it out in time.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The credits for the PS3 version (at the end of the game) had animations of characters running around, doing "amusing" things.
    I guess they had to skimp a bit on the PC version to get it out in time.
    That seems like the more probably reason but still doesn't make much sense as it is not in-game rendered and more like a movie being played. It doesn't take much coding to play a movie.

I do wish that this gets fixed up in a future patch but I doubt it.

I really enjoyed the game and it is a vast improvement on WFC. There are a few things that could have been done better but it was really good that gameplay variations were considered to explore the character's special abilities as well as their personalities.

I will celebrate by opening my Generations Cliffjumper

I had kept him MISB unsure if I wanted to keep him or sell him as he didn't appear in WFC and I was afraid of the character being 'changed' in FOC in an attempt to shoe-horn him into Prime. Thankfully it was just the head and even so, it still somewhat seems more G1 than Prime.

It is shorter than WFc isn't it? I managed to crank through it in the first week of having it, which is almost unheard of for me. I don't recall finishing WFC for a fair while after I had it.

The only glitch I was hit with on the pc version was Megatron being unable to interact with the cassettes

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    It is shorter than WFc isn't it? I managed to crank through it in the first week of having it, which is almost unheard of for me. I don't recall finishing WFC for a fair while after I had it.
    I finished it in just 8 hours so it is pretty short.

Are there any in game rewards/upgrades for finishing WFC?

I finished it twice on mates PS3's before I had my own but only half played it on my PS3!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The only unlockables are two guns (on any format)... plus some avatar clothing if you have Xbox.

I'm finding the game absolutely fantastic! I picked up a virus 2 weekends ago and ended up having a week off work. The timing of the arrival of this game couldn't have been better! Midday on the first Monday I took off, which gave me pretty much all day every day that week to not only finish the campaign but also to get a good start on the MMO.

Still enjoying it now, definitely a down point is how weak you begin with on team deathmatch. Plus how good some of the veterans online are. I'm not brilliant at first person shoot-ems anyway but sometimes I find it's no fun at all when you die within a minute of being respawned. It's definitely more fun when there is a better ratio of veterans to n00bs.

The campaign I found was brilliant, plenty of variety with the characters, their abilities and their levels. The storyline was great, with some nice explanations and tie-ins to other reincarnations of the franchise. For eg the explanation of how the Nemesis was made. I also enjoyed not only the explanation of why there were dinobots on cybertron, but also why they were less intelligent.

Anyway overall I was definitely not disappointed with this game. It's definitely a must-have for any fan, whatever platform you choose. In fact I can't seem to put it down....

BTW the ending credit animations cracked me up, so well done.