Thread: Paper mache and other things cosplay help

Coolgardie WA, but Townsville (the last 15 years)

Default Paper mache and other things cosplay help

Firstly anyone here with paper mache experiance using plaster, sawdust, paper ect?

Wellllllll Basicly....... i have a 1.6 - 1.5+ meter pair of wings to create and fold away for storage. The problem is the, well, getting the things stiff enough to stay up with out being a giant kite. I have experianced giant kite wings - last week- and it wasn't much fun as little Yukitora has to be tied to the ground to keep from flying away. Thats why Depthcharge is a Beanbag now.
    So...
    I have gone back to my mesh frame builds. But i wanted to get a smooth covering, and i've seen good work with the right paper mache. I can't do crap with it, but am giving it a shot. I was wondering if quick dry plaster bandages would be better or the sawdust glue mix. This is just mainly for the wings, as i can just paint the thing and be done. I still have enough material to cover it afterwards, but i just can't get over how large these things are.

So basicly:
    I'm trying to cover a 1.6 by 1.5m + back plate which holds them. Not turn into a giant kite.

So any experiance with mache of large areas.

that sounds really heavy, I don't have much paper mache experiance either.

Can I suggest a light frame design with coloured/painted fabric, perhaps with either fabric that is more of a mesh, to allow air through, or to put some flap style holes in the fabric like you see on large banners in parades. that way it normally looks solid but if the wind picks up you shouldn't get blown away as much.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I was thinking the same thing to suggest as what Ultramarginal said.

You can always just paint the detailing instead of the wings ( cheats way) on the cloth used. Something like the material used for pantyhoses which are rather solid looking but really allows air thru. Rather than paper mache wings which will end up pretty heavy since it will involve be layering and quite tedious to do given the size dimensions you've mentioned.

I know it will end up looking like just a flat ray shaped wings without actual detailing which is why I mentioned just paint the detailing but Ive seen some cosplay costumes that do that instead of actual 4d details they paint it 3D style so when looked at it looks like you have those yellow and purple grooves, lines and detailings when really it's all flat

Sorta like Large Fairy wings costume... all wire inside covered with painted mesh type cloth, flexible not too heavy even though it will be bulky looking.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Coolgardie WA, but Townsville (the last 15 years)

i can see where your going 80%, but that boat sail effect has some major issues since i'm a light frame myself, and any holes added will give me lift, not go straight through. fraking stunt-kite. i should just do that!
    I have chicken-wire. which is softer and lighter than my prefered square mesh, though more of a shit when it comes to the edges.

But you say i should do a 'fairy wing' wire frame. the word 'wire' didnt come to mind last time and i've been stuck on the technique for a while. Stoped by lack of word in planing stage! Can you believe it?!

Oh i don't know where to get a big enough stocking to cover that wire!

Oh scary! A breeze - an example
    [IMG] DSC00741 by TyranidKisses, on Flickr[/IMG]