Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers Mighty Muggs... Where does the mutilation end?

Default Transformers Mighty Muggs... Where does the mutilation end?

We've had Titanium figurines, HOC figurines, and the cutesy Robot Heroes figurines more recently, but now get ready for even more mutilation of your beloved Transformers characters... Mighty Muggs.
    Another one of Hasbro's recent gimmick figurine lines, that has spread across several of their toy lines, it was bound to hit Transformers eventually. And now it looks like it will be soon.

According to TFW2005.com, they were found in a US Target computer.

What are Mighty Muggs? If you've been in the toy aisles lately you've seen them: chunky little figures with large heads. So far, Hasbro has released Mighty Muggs of Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones characters
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...-muggs-165300/

For more info on Hasbro's other Mighty Muggs, try here (if it doesn't redirect you to an AU address)
    http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...d=mighty+muggs

- - - -
    I feel that figurines of Transformers has been the one opportunity to give us fans more show-accurate and proportionate characters, so figurines that ruin the proportions even more, is a waste. And I especially don't like having cutesy *evil* characters...

It's getting harder and harder for the completists like you, griffin. I mean, Robot Heroes, 3" Titaniums, blasters, Cyberslammers... and now these. It must add up to a significant cost for limited satisfaction ):

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Burn does not buy non-transforming Transformers.
    Though he does have two Action Masters but we don't speak about them. It was out of curiosity, we all experiment at times!

But eh, what are we going to do about it? Years ago we were having trouble finding Transformers or even having a line to collect, now we've got 'em coming out the wahzoo's and we still complain.

Damn fanboys!

I'll stick to G1 Robot Heroes thank you very much.

Big pass!!

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Burn does not buy non-transforming Transformers.
    Though he does have two Action Masters but we don't speak about them. It was out of curiosity, we all experiment at times!
    But did you inhale?

But eh, what are we going to do about it? Years ago we were having trouble finding Transformers or even having a line to collect, now we've got 'em coming out the wahzoo's and we still complain.
    Yeah but the quality (conceptwise) is dropping. I mean, back in (say) 2000 we had the gap between Beast Machines & what eventually became RiD (after Transtech got the boot), where quite a few of us were importing Car Robots toys. And while there wasn't that many of them, the Car Robots moulds are classy figures, and the repaints in that line (which were mostly new moulds to the Japanese market) were quite well considered.

Now we have lots of Transformers, but instead of the low end being Spychangers, it's a static piece of PVC such as robot heroes. I'm not bagging robot heroes perse, but as Transformers go they're pretty basal.

And the repaints? Paint Bumblebee with random blue cr4p and change the box! Paint him red and call him Cliffjumper! Paint him black and call it Stealth! Paint it with battle damage (even though he's brand new) and sell it in a two pack!

I'm not complaining - I'm perfectly happy skipping the cr4p I don't want, but I do lament the recent dilution of the franchise.
    Last edited by dirge; 6th July 2008 at 12:29 AM.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

What do you expect from a profit driven company?

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    What do you expect from a profit driven company?
    Is that meant to be some sort of insult? If so, I don't understand, because every company is in it for profit. If they arn't, then they go bankrupt. Being in it for the profit is the core of any business.

I think what you mean is what Dirge touched upon, that being lazy.

Or more simply, they're going for quantity over quality, and which shows so much for me (their declining quality), that it's such a major factor for me now in my decision to skip local hasbro classics 2 and go straight for the henkei releases.

As for the "Mighty Muggs", makes me immediately think of something that will beat me up and rob me of my money. Well, I guess if I bought them, they'd rob me of my money, so Muggs is right.
    ________
    Rhode Island Medical Marijuana
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Is that meant to be some sort of insult?
    ummmm no. Not sure why you'd even think it was.

My point is, I see these sorts of threads pop up on a regular basis on the various forums. People either expressing their disappointment about repaints or quality control or some gimmick/line they don't like and someone's always asking "why does Hasbro do this?"

Simple economics. They're out to make a profit. Repaints are cheaper than making new molds. And things like Mighty Mugs will offer variety and may attract the attention of those the main line may not target, people who collect "cute" things for example.

Transformers have become a huge money maker for Hasbro and they're going to put that name on as many pieces of merchandise as they can. And I don't see that as being lazy, lazy would be sticking to just one line and pumping out repaint after repaint, Mighty Mugs are at least showing diversification. It all comes back to profit. Hasbro aren't in business to please the fans, they're in business to please their stock holders, as I said, they're a profit driven company, nothing more, nothing less, and certaintly, not intended to be insulting to anyone.

Good to see i'm not the only one skipping Classics 2.0 and go for the Henkei releases instead.