View Poll Results: United Artfire - worth buying?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 41.67%
  • Only if...

6 50.00%
  • No

1 8.33%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - United Artfire

Default Toy Review - United Artfire

Series - Transformers United
    Sub-line - Million Publishing Exclusive (誌上限定), requires order form included with Generations 2012 book (¥2500/AU$27)
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Hybrid Universe/Henkei Inferno X Reveal The Shield Grappel/United Grapple mould
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - N/A (Japan, December 2012)
    Approximate Retail Price - ¥6000 (AU$65) for 1, or ¥11400 (AU$124) for 2. Maximum limit 2 toys per order.
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Pierce Contender fire rescue crane
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Extendable crane arm
    Main Colours - White and red
    Main Accessories - "Sparks" (repaint of PCC Pinpointer) and "Nightstick" (repaint of Universe/Henkei Cyclonus' Nightstick) Targetmaster partners

Official site w/ images

Goki's Photos:

---------------------------
    Thoughts:

It's weird looking and it's not cheap. The white and red just look... well, I wouldn't go so far as to say ugly (Pyro would definitely be the ugliest version of this mould (intentionally so, I know)), but it's definitely odd. But considering that it is emulating the original G1 Artfire repaint which was just as odd, I don't begrudge the toy for doing so (no more than I would begrude Pyro for trying to looking like his gaudy G1.5 counterpart ).

In terms of actual quality, the toy is really good. The paints are all well applied and the toy's pretty tight. The light blue windows on the side panel are maybe a bit too light blue, but it's not terrible. The paint apps on both Targetmaster partners is also well done.

As for the box = bland. No packaging art, just toy photography, and the whole thing's in black and white. And there's no window either, so there's no way you can inspect the toy without opening it. Could be all scratched up in there or a dead weight... who knows. But this is nothing surprising or new from Takara(TOMY) who often do this with their limited exclusives. If anything, this packaging probably has more effort than some other exclusives since the photography is new, and there's the tech specs on the back of the box (still prefer tech spec cards... gah). Considering the limited nature of the toy, I can see why they went for the cheaper option.

Is this toy worth paying the RRP of $65 for? I would say yes - just. Alright, it's $15 above Voyager RRP, but it comes with 2 Targetmasters, and it's a limited exclusive. So I think an extra $15 (by AU standards) isn't too bad a price to pay... but of course if you can get it for cheaper then by all means do so!

I'd recommend this toy if...
    a) You have United Stepper and you want Artfire to complete the set
    b) You're unwilling to pay for a G1 Artfire off the secondary market and are looking for a cheaper alternative <---that's me

I'm really not that fond of the Classicsverse Inferno mould... I mean, I liked it enough to get Inferno and Grapple, and that was it. I got Artfire for the same reason I got Spark/Pyro -- it's just easier/cheaper than getting the G1 versions off the secondary market. Now knowing my luck, TakTOM's gonna give us an Encore Artfire!

I pre ordered mine from BBTS and is still in my POL. Can't wait to get my hands on this figure to complete the set with Stepper. You're right about it being not cheap Gok, BBTS price is double what you mentioned, but I had no way of getting the figure ( no jap contacts) so I bit the bullet. They charge for the price of 2 figures for just 1, giving them 100% profit. I'm sure they'll end up with a lot of the figure as like Stepper whom they discounted a lot AFTER I've already bought mine gaah, just my luck. ....

That targetmaster mould sure paid well and beyond its profit... how many times have they repainted and reused it.. it's the same tm partner with the Stepper figure
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    That targetmaster mould sure paid well and beyond its profit... how many times have they repainted and reused it.. it's the same tm partner with the Stepper figure
    Stepper and the many versions of Henkei Cyclonus. I think that's about all it's been used for off the top of my head.

Less use than the classics seeker mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Stepper and the many versions of Henkei Cyclonus. I think that's about all it's been used for off the top of my head.

Less use than the classics seeker mould.
    They've been issuing it in different colors as some sort of giveaways minicon in japan iirc. Wish they'd come up with new tm partner mould like him though and not repainting pcc minicons instead.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Series - Transformers United

I'm really not that fond of the Classicsverse Inferno mould... I mean, I liked it enough to get Inferno and Grapple, and that was it. I got Artfire for the same reason I got Spark/Pyro -- it's just easier/cheaper than getting the G1 versions off the secondary market. Now knowing my luck, TakTOM's gonna give us an Encore Artfire!
    We should harness your power of luck! We must get the precious!!!!!
    I actually like the colours quite a bit. They click, to me at least.
    I probably won't get this but it looks alright, but with some of the negatives, it's not exactly a must-buy for me.

I voted No, not at the prices I can get it for. The cheapest I've seen it between my regular international purchase sources is about $140 on eBay.

I have no attachment to the character, I do like the paint scheme.

My experience with the mould is OK. I thought it worked well for Inferno, though the water gun vs a ladder was a total copout. It was OK for Grapple, good to be the same mould as inferno but the lack of rotating gauntlets was disappointing and the leg and hip joints on my grapple were very loose, making it hard to display in any pose other than standing up straight. there was also a misfired pin in the part that folds up onto his back making it never sit straight.

I don't want to risk that sort of disappointment on a character I don't really care about. especially at that price. if it was $30 i'd think about it.

I'd suggest it's really only for the niche collector.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I like the colours and think he'd go well in a little emergency services group, so when I eventually get mine, I'll probably slap him alongside Ratchet and Red Alert. Hopefully the red and white looks as good in real life as it does in my mind ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    We should harness your power of luck! We must get the precious!!!!!
    I was being sarcastic about my "luck." As in, I bought this toy because I don't want to pay a fortune for an original G1, and considering that it's been nearly 8.5 years since Stepper was reissued, I'd given up waiting for an Artfire reissue. So I got United Artfire instead... it's as close as I'll probably ever get to owning Artfire unless they reissue it. So I was lamenting about the odds of TakTOM reissuing G1 Artfire after I've gone and bloody gotten United Artfire! Kinda like how I went and ordered Arms Micron Smokescreen, then shortly later news came out about Beast Hunter Smokescreen, whose armour is removable. Just my (lousy) luck!

Having said that... if TakTOM did reissue G1 Artfire, I'd be all over it like a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I have no attachment to the character, I do like the paint scheme.
    I have a mild attachment because I got TFC Stepper in 2004... and yeah, just wanted an Artfire to go with him.

My experience with the mould is OK. I thought it worked well for Inferno, though the water gun vs a ladder was a total copout. It was OK for Grapple, good to be the same mould as inferno but the lack of rotating gauntlets was disappointing and the leg and hip joints on my grapple were very loose, making it hard to display in any pose other than standing up straight. there was also a misfired pin in the part that folds up onto his back making it never sit straight.

I don't want to risk that sort of disappointment on a character I don't really care about.
    Yeah... after Inferno and Grapple I personally wasn't looking out for getting any more versions of this mould... I got Pyro and Artfire because it's just cheaper than getting the original G1s (plus Pyro won't break when I play with it ). I haven't bothered getting Hot Spot, and I'm not looking to get one either because I already have G1 Hot Spot.

Having said that, the inclusion of the Targetmaster weapons really doesn't make me notice the lack of gauntlet rotation. And the joints aren't that loose actually. Not really tight, but not loose either. Pyro's the loosest of mine... either I've lucked out, or TakTOM have attempted to tighten the base mould for Artfire.

I'd suggest it's really only for the niche collector.
    Yup. And as a limited exclusive, I think it works out well.

[QUOTE=GoktimusPrime;335688]I was being sarcastic about my "luck." As in, I bought this toy because I don't want to pay a fortune for an original G1, and considering that it's been nearly 8.5 years since Stepper was reissued, I'd given up waiting for an Artfire reissue. So I got United Artfire instead... it's as close as I'll probably ever get to owning Artfire unless they reissue it. So I was lamenting about the odds of TakTOM reissuing G1 Artfire after I've gone and bloody gotten United Artfire! Kinda like how I went and ordered Arms Micron Smokescreen, then shortly later news came out about Beast Hunter Smokescreen, whose armour is removable. Just my (lousy) luck!

Having said that... if TakTOM did reissue G1 Artfire, I'd be all over it like a rash!

I have a mild attachment because I got TFC Stepper in 2004... and yeah, just wanted an Artfire to go with him.

Yeah... after Inferno and Grapple I personally wasn't looking out for getting any more versions of this mould... I got Pyro and Artfire because it's just cheaper than getting the original G1s (plus Pyro won't break when I play with it ). I haven't bothered getting Hot Spot, and I'm not looking to get one either because I already have G1 Hot Spot.

Having said that, the inclusion of the Targetmaster weapons really doesn't make me notice the lack of gauntlet rotation. And the joints aren't that loose actually. Not really tight, but not loose either. Pyro's the loosest of mine... either I've lucked out, or TakTOM have attempted to tighten the base mould for Artfire.

[=QUOTE]

Yes, and I meant too that we should use the bad luck so we get an Encore reissue. Sarcasm on top of sarcasm.