Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get MP Megatron shipped to Oz?

Replica weapons is usually a category in criminal codes as well, to refer to props or toys that could fool people into thinking it is a real gun... as it is the intention behind the use of it that is just as important as the firing of a real gun.
    (intention to commit a crime, as well as the commission of a crime)

do repainted Nerf Guns fit in the same category? How about ones painted to look futuristic/sci fi?

Quote Originally Posted by auskinglj View Post
    That was why i kept it, i thought it's just a toy(looked like any toy gun from the 80's),I never took it out side didn't show it to people just kept it as a memento on a shelf inside its tattered original box on a shelf in my house,but it was Classed as a replica because it was black and had a mechanism to fire ammunition(plastic pellets)even though it didn't work,it had nothing to distinguish it from a real firearm, Police said I could have used to threaten/rob someone and as such it was a prohibited firearm
    Pics would be good. Some quotes- though I don't know if they are valid till today.
    The NSW Firearms act 1996 states an imitation firearm does not include objects produced and identified as a children’s toy.

The NSW Police firearms registry says a toy is distinguished from an imitation firearm by the packaging, targeted sale market (ie. sold in a toy store, marked ‘‘for ages 3+’’ etc), the materials it is is made from, its general appearance or how it functions.
    If an imitation looks substantially like the real thing, a permit is required to own it and it has to be stored just like a real gun.

If it has been produced as a toy and if it is marketed as a toy, then the above does not apply.

As others have pointed out, in the real world, whether or not it is a toy or looks like a toy is irrelevant so long as it can be taken out and used to threaten. The same applies to the law; it being marketed as a toy makes no difference to the bank clerk who fears being shot.

I'm not condemning nor condoning those who do choose to own MP Megatron or G1 Megatron, either in Australia or elsewhere. Like I said, I used to own it myself. What I am trying to do, if the obvious difficulties of importing it in the first place aren't enough, is get fans to consider the issues involved before just deciding to import it. I have every respect for fans who choose to own it responsibly according to the law, keeping it locked up, but that isn't every fan. All it takes is a burglary and a robber with enough brains to transform it*, and you've gone from a collector's piece to an illegal replica firearm.

*Admittedly, with MP Megatron, you may think this is unlikely, but we're not discussing the other issue with that toy: namely that it's actually quite a bad figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    As others have pointed out, in the real world, whether or not it is a toy or looks like a toy is irrelevant so long as it can be taken out and used to threaten.
    Does that mean I have to get a weapons permit for my replica black pudding from the Goodies episode The Battle of Ecky Thump?
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Does that mean I have to get a weapons permit for my replica black pudding from the Goodies episode The Battle of Ecky Thump?
    Ok, now where can I get one of these?!?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Replica weapons is usually a category in criminal codes as well, to refer to props or toys that could fool people into thinking it is a real gun... as it is the intention behind the use of it that is just as important as the firing of a real gun.
    'Mens Rea' - guilty mind, as well as 'Actus Reaus' - guilty act.

Whaddya know, I remembered something from my old law days

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Same.

But, in reply to Deltaprime, if someone charges into a shop waving around what looks to be a firearm, all the while screaming at the attendant and threatening to kill them, would you expect the shop attendant to instantly recognise that that is a stupidly oversized P-38 and therefore can't be real? All they would see is a gun and someone threatening to kill them.
    That guy should be shot, end story. I don't really care much for stupidity nowadays, but there is always someone.

The real stupid thing here is, who the hell can be bothered to buy a $180 Maegatron just to rob a bank? They probably can get something looking more realistic act cheaper price imo. But then I dunno, I always been proven wrong that some nut would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I imagined a middle-aged man walking into a bank with comically oversized MP Megatrons and holding it up.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Well, you said this:

And my reply was hinting that is doesn't matter if it's a terrible replica gun. It still looks like a gun and could be used in a robbery/threatening manner, hence why it is classed as a firearm.

And I like the way you simply dismiss it as "just give them cash or item and let the cops deal with it." That's too late chum. Ever heard of post traumatic stress? Ask anyone who's been held at gunpoint, then later found it was a replica and ask them if it in any way diminishes the emotions/stress they felt at the time. Guess what the answer is?

There is a very real and good reason that MP-5 is classed as a replica firearm in NSW and I believe that should continue to be the case.
    You are always going to have to deal with criminals. They are not going to use a hard to acquire G1 Megatron or MP Megatron or G1 Browning. They are going to use an easy to acquire weapon like a kitchen knife or cricket bat. Any idiot that thinks a Transformer is great weapon is retarded.

EDIT: OK I've calmed down now, sorry. Maybe we should not talk about morals of owning a toy.
    Last edited by griffin; 15th July 2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: obscenities