Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megatron Gun Banned?

Question Megatron Gun Banned?

Hi I have been wanting to get my hands on a G1 Megatron robot that transformers in a sniper like gun to add to my collection

I want to know if this action figure is banned in Australia as this figure does not turn up that often

Am interested in this history of this action figure because I believe this is the fist action figure that transformers in a gun mode that looks realistic

I remember borrowing this somehow and it suddenly "vanished" under my mother disapproval of guns after a while. I think it has to be my favourite transformer toy ever

I also want to know if it is possible to buy this figure from overseas and bring it to Australia via post or is it too risky?

Any guidance or feedback would be great thanks

This topic has turned up and has been discussed here. http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15885

This is probably something we need in the resource section as an FAQ.

Transformers toys like Gen1 Megatron, Masterpiece Megatron, Gen1 Browning and any redecoes, would be classified as "replica weapons" in State criminal codes (they aren't specifically mentioned - but fit the description in Criminal Codes).
    As such, some states prohibit ownership without a license, permit or some other condition. Some states (like WA) have not restrictions, making it legal to own and buy them. But if you live in WA and imported one, it will be seized by Customs if it arrives via Sydney or any state that prohibits it.
    There are even restrictions on selling replica weapons in states that restrict ownership, which can incur greater penalties than just owning one.

If you want to own a Transformers toy that turns into a replica gun, you can either contact your fire-arms registry office in your state (or the police for information) to obtain a permit, OR, take your chances and import one and if it is found by Customs it will be seized - then you will have to rush to get it released if you are in a state that allows ownership.

Be aware that if you do end up obtaining one somehow, and you aren't legally allowed to, it is at your own risk if you mention here that you have one.

Be aware that if you do end up obtaining somehow, and you aren't legally allowed to, it is at your own risk if you mention here that you have one.

Geez!! I'm wanting the old G1 Megatron action figure not a flashy expensive replica ... Is that figure taboo!,,

The following Transformers are prohibited in NSW, which means you need to have a permit to own them:
    + G1 Megatron (incl. all variants & reissues)
    + G1 Browning
    + eHobby Megaplex
    + Masterpiece Megatron

Click here for information on how to acquire a permit. Basically you need to:
    * Ensure that all perimeter doors and windows in your home have locks
    * Your Transformers collection room (or whichever room you store your gun Transformers in) has a lock on the room door. A simple morticelock will suffice.
    * The gun Transformers are kept in a locked display unit. The unit does not need to be wall mounted. Any kind of lockable display unit is fine.
    * If your TF room is on the ground floor, it must have bars/grills on the window(s). This is not required if the room is upstairs.

Also note that you will be exempt from paying the application fee for the permit (saving you $127! ). So basically you don't need to pay for applying for the permit, that's free. But unless you already have all the safe storage requirements in place, you may need to have to pay for them. I know that when I first got my permit years about 5 years ago I had to purchase a morticelock from Bunnings and install it in my TF room door. I also had to drive all the way to Tempe to purchase a lockable display unit... that was the biggest hassle for me. The paper work is also a hassle, but it's the law here in NSW so ya gotta do it (or risk having your toy(s) confiscated and possibly incinerated). I'd rather not take the risk.

Here's basically what the permit looks like:

(that's the older style one, the newer one looks a little bit different, but you get the idea)

And here's the display unit that I use for my Gunformers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The following Transformers are prohibited in NSW, which means you need to have a permit to own them:
    + G1 Megatron (incl. all variants & reissues)
    + G1 Browning
    + eHobby Megaplex
    + Masterpiece Megatron

Click here for information on how to acquire a permit. Basically you need to:
    * Ensure that all perimeter doors and windows in your home have locks
    * Your Transformers collection room (or whichever room you store your gun Transformers in) has a lock on the room door. A simple morticelock will suffice.
    * The gun Transformers are kept in a locked display unit. The unit does not need to be wall mounted. Any kind of lockable display unit is fine.
    * If your TF room is on the ground floor, it must have bars/grills on the window(s). This is not required if the room is upstairs.

Also note that you will be exempt from paying the application fee for the permit (saving you $127! ). So basically you don't need to pay for applying for the permit, that's free. But unless you already have all the safe storage requirements in place, you may need to have to pay for them. I know that when I first got my permit years about 5 years ago I had to purchase a morticelock from Bunnings and install it in my TF room door. I also had to drive all the way to Tempe to purchase a lockable display unit... that was the biggest hassle for me. The paper work is also a hassle, but it's the law here in NSW so ya gotta do it (or risk having your toy(s) confiscated and possibly incinerated). I'd rather not take the risk.

Here's basically what the permit looks like:

(that's the older style one, the newer one looks a little bit different, but you get the idea)

And here's the display unit that I use for my Gunformers.
    My god.. I had no idea

Why did they sell them to kids back in 1984 then passing nanny laws now and then now all owner even childhood owners must have this permit

Thanks your post made the most sense and now am much educated about this subject

I am sure I am not the only person didn't know.. I guess I just saw that action figure awesome as hell while others saw it nasty and a big threat to others ...whoa the deep measures you had to go owning Megatron

But yet you can still just walk into a gift shop at westfields tuggerah and buy real metal replica guns of all types over the counter. No questions asked.

But beware the evil plastic toy of Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    This is probably something we need in the resource section as an FAQ.
    Yeah, this topic seems to come up every couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Yeah, this topic seems to come up every couple of months
    Well I could not find this kind of topic so I had to ask straight... I not been on this site for like AGES ok

Quote Originally Posted by Danzvader78 View Post
    Why did they sell them to kids back in 1984 then passing nanny laws now and then now all owner even childhood owners must have this permit
    They actually didn't sell Megatrons in Canberra after the first run in 1985 because someone used him in a hold-up.