Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rare - Animated Megatron in Starscream's Box"

Default "Rare - Animated Megatron in Starscream's Box"

Hey checkout what I found on eBay, someone in Canada thinks this is some sort of collectors item and decided they'd try to sell it, bidding starts at US$75.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-Transfor...QQcmdZViewItem

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Must put Credit Card away!

Love his feedback rating! (:

Seriously, this is a bad deal - mispackaged toys like this rarely fetch much over retail, MISB collectors generally avoid them and the resale value later on is rarely much above retail.

They're a nice piece if you come across one yourself - for novelty value. I have a MOSC Blades claiming to be First Aid which I stumbled across myself way back in the W4K days, but I don't pretend it's anything valuable.

Pulse, don't waste the sort of $$ this guy is asking!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Love his feedback rating! (:

Seriously, this is a bad deal - mispackaged toys like this rarely fetch much over retail, MISB collectors generally avoid them and the resale value later on is rarely much above retail.

They're a nice piece if you come across one yourself - for novelty value. I have a MOSC Blades claiming to be First Aid which I stumbled across myself way back in the W4K days, but I don't pretend it's anything valuable.

Pulse, don't waste the sort of $$ this guy is asking!
    Wait, hold up, are you actually telling me that this IS a collector's item?

An article/letter in ToyFare magazine also confirms that random mistakes are by no means valuable. They're just freak mistakes. Remember that in order for something to be valuable it must follow the basic laws of supply and demand - i.e. low supply with high demand.

Freak mistakes like this are incredibly low in supply, this is true, but the demand for mispackaged toys is so negligible that it doesn't effect the market value of such toys. As dirge said, it's an interesting novelty item to have but it's by no means a really valuable collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Prime View Post
    Wait, hold up, are you actually telling me that this IS a collector's item?
    Well, it's an item of value to some collectors. But it's not really a collectable, in that it most likely wont hold or increase its value.

If the idea appeals to you, great, but don't pay over retail, because you're being ripped off.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    If the idea appeals to you, great, but don't pay over retail, because you're being ripped off.
    Lol, nah, I only posted this thread because I thought it was ridiculous and might be worth a few laughs.

The thing with boxed toys though, is that it someone may have managed to get the tape off and then reseal it, but the carded toys that are glued down are definitely a factory error. I agree though that there is very little added value in packaging mixups/errors. The only value is in production errors (wrong colour plastic/paint, paint or plastic contamination, wrong paint apps), or a very early production/packaging change (BW rock bubble, Cheetor eye colour, etc).

Must resist urge to go and put toys in wrong boxes and sell them to idiots...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Somebody already did that infamously a few years ago. Some guy on the Spawn forums claimed to have found Alternators 'Black Lucky Draw Sideswipe' in a Dead End box. It was pretty obvious that he opened it, stuck a Maisto Dodge Viper in the box and resealed it.

Some idiot ended up paying over $180US or so for it. When he got the toy, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? Its a Maisto die cast car and not a Transformer. When members of the Allspark asked the buyer, he claimed that he and the seller agree that Hasbro was trying to screw customers and its all Hasbro's fault.

Yes, they (claimed) to believe that Hasbro randomly puts toys made by rival toy manufacturers in their packaging to screw customers around.

Jesus.