View Poll Results: BH EP55 (S3E5) Project Predacon - worth watching?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

4 22.22%
  • Good

9 50.00%
  • Average

3 16.67%
  • Poor

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episode Review - BH Ep56 (S3E5) - Project Predacon

Default Episode Review - BH Ep56 (S3E5) - Project Predacon

Ep 5 - Project Predacon (17th May) The Decepticons launch a new scheme to clone an army of beasts.

Another very basic episode, with a simple purpose (Decepticons looking for Predacon fossils on Earth), leading to an extended fight scene (Shockwave Vs Optimus, Bumblebee and Smokescreen)... and a bit of retconned backstory in the process.

The retconned backstory bugs me though, as once again, Earth is like the "conjoined twin" of Cybertron. In that we are now being informed by Megatron that Predacons were not only already cloned by him millions of years ago, but he already sent them to Earth because there were already Autobots here.
    I know the series started with Autobots and Decepticons already on Earth, but the implication was that it was a relatively recent arrival - Decepticons looking for Energon and the Autobots followed them there to try to stop them.
    I also don't see the need for chasing up new Predacon "DNA", when they already have Predaking's "DNA" that they could clone... especially if he's supposed to be the most powerful Predacon, or at least shown to be virtually unstoppable.
    But then, somehow all the Predacons on Earth disappeared and became bone-like fossils.

The episode introduces Smokescreen's new colours, to sell the Vehicle Set version.
    And they unnecessarily put in a scene to give Optimus his truck mode. He could have easily had inherited the new mode from his new robot mode, as no one would have questioned him having a new alt-mode. Especially since his new robot mode had kibble that implied that new alt-mode. It then didn't make sense to have him scan a new alt-mode AFTER he already had all the kibble. (and really, would the military have something looking so Cybertronian)

We also get a new credits/intro, to include Predaking and Bumblebee's new colours, but still only includes the first season regulars.

Shockwave is certainly bad-ass, and a shame that he's being told by Megatron to stay out of combat, as it might mean we won't see much more of him.

For those hoping to see Ravage introduced after assuming Lazerbeak was destroyed in Episode 3 or 4, will be disappointed to see the winged partner of Soundwave back this episode.

I liked this episode for Shockwave's scenes, but the first half is still continuing the "epilogue" of Second Season's Finale... and since we are almost halfway through this final season, that's valuable (limited) time wasted.

I liked the backstory. It explains why the Predacons look like mythological creatures rather than actual animals, and is also reminiscent of the backstory for the Decepticon Pretenders in Masterforce.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The retconned backstory bugs me though, as once again, Earth is like the "conjoined twin" of Cybertron. In that we are now being informed by Megatron that Predacons were not only already cloned by him millions of years ago, but he already sent them to Earth because there were already Autobots here.
    I know the series started with Autobots and Decepticons already on Earth, but the implication was that it was a relatively recent arrival - Decepticons looking for Energon and the Autobots followed them there to try to stop them.
    IIRC, Earth was already established as an ancient battleground for the Cybertronian wars, hence:
    + All the buried remains of fallen Cybertronians which Megatron tried to resurrect as zombies with Dark Energon
    + Skyquake
    + Cybertronian relics having been hidden there

...I do agree that the "conjoined twin" thing is kinda dodgy. It seems to be a way of trying to explain why so much stuff just conveniently happens to be on Earth.
    "Where'd all these dead Cybertronians come from?" "They were always here."
    "Skyquake's been lying in stasis here?" "Yeah, he was here the whole time."
    "Amazing how all of these relics have been hidden on the same planet!" "Yeah, they've always been here."
    "And Earth is Unicron, right?" "Yeah, he was actually here first, then Earth grew out of his butt."
    "Wow... what a massive coincidence." "Not if these two planets are somehow linked!"

At least Animated used the AllSpark as an excuse for all sorts of weird things happening on Earth and basically everything happened after the Ark/Omega Supreme arrived.

I also don't see the need for chasing up new Predacon "DNA", when they already have Predaking's "DNA" that they could clone... especially if he's supposed to be the most powerful Predacon, or at least shown to be virtually unstoppable.
    Perhaps the other Predacons possess different traits/abilities that Predaking doesn't have (like say, resistance to cold? )

But then, somehow all the Predacons on Earth disappeared and became bone-like fossils.
    Yeah, I didn't like that whole thing about the Predacons having succumbed to the "ravages of time" explanation. These are robots... (-_-) It might've made more sense for them to find scrap parts from the Preds.

The episode introduces Smokescreen's new colours, to sell the Vehicle Set version.
    I hope they repaint the Deluxe. Not keen on getting the Vehicle Set.

We also get a new credits/intro, to include Predaking and Bumblebee's new colours, but still only includes the first season regulars.
    Yeah... that was disappointing. It would've been nice to see more original animation and music. :/

Optimus Prime's power level seems to have dipped since the last episode too. Previously he flew in and handed Megatron's butt back to him, then destroyed Darkmount. In this episode he gets taken out by little Laserbeak. And every time I was watching Bumblebee and Smokescreen trying to pull the fossil from Shockwave's hand... why not just break his hand??

Ultra Magnus kinda bugs me too - again seeming like a shadow of his IDW counterpart (whom this character appears to be modelled after). He tells Wheeljack off for his reckless actions and how important discipline is... and then that's it?? No disciplinary action? No rendering assistance to Agent Fowler? Ultra Magnus considers Wheeljack to be a loose cannon, and he's been given authority over him by Optimus Prime... why not assert that authority to pull Wheeljack in line? Is he not a military officer in the theatre of war??? This Ultra Magnus sure is freaking inconsistent...

I have really mixed feelings about this episode.

I liked the whole 'origin of earth's mythological creatures' explanation, I loved Bumblebee and Smokescreen's well thought out fight scene. I loved some of the dialogue; any mention of Beast Wars gets me excited

But the issues that really stood out without reading the comments above were:

-Predacons dying of natural causes? I felt there should've been some sort of explanation here.
    -Tug of war with Shockwave.... REALLY?! Lame ending to an action-packed fight scene.
    -Why can't they use Predaking's DNA to make more Predakings instead of finding more fossils?
    -I hope this season doesn't turn into another "bots must split up and prevent the cons from finding something that's scattered all over the earth" scenario.

Was it just me or did Fowler say that the new Alt mode for Prime to scan was from their M.A.S.K. division?

What I don't understand is, why couldn't they just retrieve Predaking from the ice. Surely it'll take them no time to just fly the whole spaceship where he is and thaw him out. That way not only would they have the most powerful Predacon within the ranks while their project predacons are under development. '

Prime being underpowered in this episode is as usual a result of decepticons (lazerbeak's) sneaky attack. I treat it like it's an itch on your back you can't reach no mater how hard you try. Prime for all his power and bulk if he can't get to where Lazerbeak is, on him, can't destroy him, but Lazerbeak can surely do a lot of damage to cuircuitry and wotnot.

Earth and Cybertron's link being established in these episodes are a lot of who hah IMO but meh what do I know. I mean of all the planets in all the cosmos what is so significant in this tiny blue planet with backwater technology
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    -Why can't they use Predaking's DNA to make more Predakings instead of finding more fossils?
    Predaking has a whole lot of brute strength, but perhaps the other Predacons have skills/abilities/powers that Predaking doesn't have. Maybe Predaking is like Superman and the other Preds are like the Justice League... and Lazerback can be Aquaman (re: the pitiful 'spare tyre' of the team).

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    What I don't understand is, why couldn't they just retrieve Predaking from the ice. Surely it'll take them no time to just fly the whole spaceship where he is and thaw him out. That way not only would they have the most powerful Predacon within the ranks while their project predacons are under development. '
    The Decepticons don't even know where the Autobots Ground Bridged him to. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. It's not like Shockwave microchi--, oh wait... he did.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Earth and Cybertron's link being established in these episodes are a lot of who hah IMO but meh what do I know. I mean of all the planets in all the cosmos what is so significant in this tiny blue planet with backwater technology
    Not just Earth, but seemingly always in the United States! At least Ultra Magnus and the Wreckers buggered off to Scotland.

"Once again, a UFO has landed in America. The only country UFOs ever seem to land in."
    (Monsters Vs. Aliens)

I liked the moment where Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime didn't get Fowler's kilt reference, and Optimus taught Ultra Magnus to just nod politely in order to get along with their human comrades when they make cultural references that fly over their head. I really like moments like these that remind us of how other-worldly the Autobots are. All too often I find the Transformers just act too human for my liking.

Anyone else just get annoyed by Smokescreen's whinging about "almost was a Prime"? He offered you, you declined and chose to use the Forge to rebuild Optimus. Get over yourself now.
    <Cobra.Commander.voice> "I wasss almossst a Prime! A Prrriiimmme!"

i felt watching this episode was like commercial for selling their toys ...look... alt mode of Optimus and then Ultra magnus alt mode , then smokescreen new paint job .... And why does optimus bother having an alt mode at all if he just going to fly around....well then again if i sudden have wings ill fly everywhere as well then having to drive

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    i felt watching this episode was like commercial for selling their toys ...look... alt mode of Optimus and then Ultra magnus alt mode , then smokescreen new paint job .... And why does optimus bother having an alt mode at all if he just going to fly around....well then again if i sudden have wings ill fly everywhere as well then having to drive
    +1 Exactly as you said, this episode was designed to promote toys (current and future releases)

i felt watching this episode was like commercial for selling their toys ...look... alt mode of Optimus and then Ultra magnus alt mode , then smokescreen new paint job ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
    +1 Exactly as you said, this episode was designed to promote toys (current and future releases)
    Sort of. Unlike most other TF series, TF Prime was conceived as a TV series first, then developed as toys later. At best, the later figures may have been developed in tandem with the animators (similar to say Animated), but it's not like the traditional method where the toys were definitely made first, then screen characters developed later (as a means of promoting the toys).

As we all know, the big problem with developing Transformers as screen characters either in tandem with or preceding toy designers is that it significantly impedes on toy engineering because the two processes are completely counter-intuitive to each other. IMHO it's always better to develop the Transformers as toys first, then let artists/animators adapt the toy designs as screen characters later. I can totally understand why they decided to go screen-character first with the live action movies, but I don't see the need for it in non live-action settings like a cartoon series.

If Hasbro wants the toys and screen models to look more similar to each other, then just get the animators to do 3D scans of the action figures and develop CGI models off those. That's what they did for Beast Wars and it worked pretty well.

And why does optimus bother having an alt mode at all if he just going to fly around....well then again if i sudden have wings ill fly everywhere as well then having to drive
    There would be times when driving may be more useful, like when he had to go inside that cavern where the entrance was too small for his robot mode to enter. Oh, and if he wants to be a robot in disguise. Cos that alt mode would totally not draw any undue attention to himself!