Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4959646566676869707172737479 ... LastLast

Thread: BigBadToyStore (BBTS) (America) items

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post

Thought Friday the 13th was supposed to be unlucky.
    Yeah I also had TAV Rumble & Frenzy show up today from HS as well as Universe Hardheads shield from Fatbot so add those to the Combaticons and TF wise it's a lucky day for me

Just started my first pile of loot do I need to be careful of import tax if i go over the $1000 allowed for Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoonMaster5000 View Post
    Just started my first pile of loot. do I need to be careful of import tax if i go over the $1000 allowed for Australia?
    If you are a private purchaser, customs duty can be applied if they spot it, and the cut-off is only AU$1000, not US$1000, so keep an eye on the exchange rate.
    Shipping is not counted. Just the contents value.

If you are a business importing, then you'd probably be facing other taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If you are a private purchaser, customs duty can be applied if they spot it, and the cut-off is only AU$1000, not US$1000, so keep an eye on the exchange rate.
    Shipping is not counted. Just the contents value.

If you are a business importing, then you'd probably be facing other taxes.
    Also the local US sales tax is excluded from the custom value.

Don't forget, while shipping costs aren't included for the GST calculation, it is considered when working out the customs duty, which also applies

So basically if I stay under $1000 aud I won't have to worry about any of this? Too much to think about for my brain capacity

Quote Originally Posted by ZoonMaster5000 View Post
    So basically if I stay under $1000 aud I won't have to worry about any of this? Too much to think about for my brain capacity
    Yes you are correct and it can be confusing. To summarise all the great points. The Customs Value (CV) is simply the value of the goods on the sellers invoice that is excluding sales taxes and shipping costs. If this value is A $1,000 or more then customs will calculate the GST AND Customs Duty.

This is where it gets expensive because you will pay both GST and Customs Duty.

Customs Duty = Customs Duty Rate (5-10%) x CV
    GST Payable = 10% of the Value of Taxable Import (VoTI). The VoTI = CV + Customs Duty Rate x CV + International Transport & Insurance

In an example where the item value is $A1,000, the Customs Duty rate is 5% and the Transport and Insurance was $150 you would end up paying $170 in Duty and GST.

One final tip. Because the currency can move around between the time you order and when the goods arrive into Australia, I always allow a buffer of 5%, meaning I only buy up to a value of A $950 just to be on the safe side.

There is a great ebay guide written by an Australian Customs broker where I have sourced the formulas. Just google search "The A-Z of Importing into Australia Duty GST Customs".

If anyone is curious or is cutting it really fine, the exchange rates used by Customs are posted here: http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Duty/Exch

I can't remember if they use the rate from the invoice date or the arrival date (or something else).

Quote Originally Posted by djanscak View Post
    If anyone is curious or is cutting it really fine, the exchange rates used by Customs are posted here: http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Duty/Exch

I can't remember if they use the rate from the invoice date or the arrival date (or something else).
    I would think it would be the date when it arrives into the country.

Lots of great info for me to look into thanks everyone.

Black Friday sale on TF's

A couple of good deals in there....

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/list.aspx?list=20404