Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP masterpiece slipstream

Wow that nice AJ ....perfect bro....

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Looking at the MP-11 mould, the neck stem looks pretty much the same as MP-03, but the ball socket is entirely on the underside of the head. The shelf on the underside is also gone.

The arch the head passes through has quite a bit of plastic that can be ground out with a file or motor tool to increase the clearance, so that might give a little flexibility with sizing the head, too.

That's good to know, thanks again. I'll try to keep the head dimensions in line with the original to avoid any work that isn't necessary.

I hope to nail the the ball and socket joint but it's going to be interesting alright.

So here are some reference pics based on Iriorne's measurements. There are a couple of problems that I see:

1. With the head at this size, the ears are about 1.5 - 2mm too wide.
    2. If I reduce the size of the head to accommodate the ears, the head looks too small for the model.

I might try reducing the "ear" size and making them a bit thinner, that way I don't have to reduce the head size too much.

I still have to reshape the back of the head to square it off for the ball socket section. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think I have an idea of how the ball socket is going to work, hopefully it comes out alright!

Any other thoughts or suggestions to make this work?

Hmmm... reducing the ears might be the easiest solution. If necessary, there's also about 2mm of space at the top that you can recover by dremelling out the head pass-through as well. Another option might just be to scale the head well and have it non-transformable? Just pop it off the ball when converting to jet.

If you want to get a feel for how the face scales, here's a front-on photo of the head:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...head_trans.png

Are you able to set it as a texture on the front of the block head and and post a front-on render?

Edit: I'd be wary of scaling the head too small as the MP-03 seeker head is proportionally quite small to begin with, particularly the width.

yeah i agree , that you should reduce the ears as the head scale is small to begin with..

Cool, I'll give it a try. Back to the drawing board.

As awesome as it already looks, reducing the width of the ear may add to the femininity of the sculpt. just a thought.

brilliant work by the way.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Just had a thought: what if instead of just reducing the width, you adjusted the angle of the ears? Make them more swept back and streamlined?

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    Just had a thought: what if instead of just reducing the width, you adjusted the angle of the ears? Make them more swept back and streamlined?
    That would be interesting ....