Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP masterpiece slipstream

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Alrighty, here's a few drawings and dimensions:

Higher quality PDF here.

Accuracy on most dimensions should be about +/- 0.01 mm. The main outside dimensions (L, W, H) are pretty solid as they were easy to get the callipers around. Some of the others I had to eyeball but they should be fine for this purpose. The original is in Visio so I can remeasure anything if there's something I missed.

Also, the little step at at rear of the head is probably worth including as it makes the head sit a bit lower, hiding the hinged stem that it sits on.

That's brilliant, thanks very much for that Irorne. That'll be helpful. If I have any more questions about the dimensions I'll PM you. In the meantime here's some more progress pics. I've finished the face now, next step is to add it to helmet, and helmet vents and tidy it up. Then of course to scale to the correct dimensions.

Face sculpt so far:

2nd colour test:

Took your tips on board and checked my reference pics again to make it look a bit nicer. You're right it made a huge difference. Thanks again for the help.

i dont know about the purple lips but that look good now

Sorry it's been a while since I've had a chance to work on this but managed to get some more time today. Here is progress so far without smoothing:

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    Sorry it's been a while since I've had a chance to work on this but managed to get some more time today. Here is progress so far without smoothing:

Fantastic! Will you be making a second head with some type of scowl or shock face?

Once the base model is complete anything is possible!

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Looking good! When you get around to adding the ball socket, maybe make the opening a bit bigger than the dimensions I measured earlier. I just tried to pop the head back on and it was pretty tough, I have a feeling a 3D printed object would have shattered.

No probs, thanks for that advice. Better to be slightly too big than slightly too small, at least if it's too big you can add some clear nail polish or something to the ball to make it tighter.

Also I notice that shapeways has a range of plastics to choose from, including slightly malleable ones. Something to investigate once I've finished this.

I just finished closing in the back of the helmet then, so it's progressing. Hopefully I'll get some more time this weekend to work on it.

That face sculpt is coming along really nice, I'm getting a bit of an arachnid vibe from it prior to the helmet addition.

with regard to shapeways, i've found that strong white flexible is the best for strength and one of the best for detail, but the clear detail is probably the best for actual fine detail, I've never used that one.

Strong white flexible has a slight powdery feel to it. keep in mind also that there will probably be a very small amount of shrinkage in the plastic as it sets, which may effect your ball/socket interface.

It's looking great, keep up the good work.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

that looking good man ,,,,