Thread: Any Antex, Estela, IGA Collectors Here?

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Any Antex, Estela, IGA Collectors Here?

Just curious.

I'm finally starting to dip my toes, and am wondering how many of my buddies here are into the awesomeness that is Brazilian/Argentinean/Mexican Minibots.

This seems like a niche section that's going to have a boom really shortly. So I'm getting in now, before prices get even more insane.

I started off easy, with an Antex green Carrera MOC, from that case find a few years ago. I did overpay a bit, but we're talking a difference of $5-10 here, so I'm not concerned.

I'm in the process of my second purchase: a blue Estrela Sedan, which is being done for me. Can't wait to talk more about it.

So, what have you got? What do you like?

Do you think collectors are even peripherally aware of these?

Meh, I didn't grow up with these toys so I personally have no interest in them. I might buy one if I find one at a collectors fair for a few dollars, otherwise pass.

About 12 years ago I knew a guy who had a collection of these toys from his childhood because he was South American and grew up there during G1. He thought that these toys were KOs and ended up getting rid of them when his family migrated to Australia. Needless to say he was kicking himself when I told him that they were indeed legit. Can't remember if he chucked or gave them away (hopefully the latter - and hopefully whoever ended up w/ his collection hasn't destroyed/discarded them either!).

I have a Puffer who's the pride of my collection. Right, Puffer?

PUFFER: ¡No hablo ingles, señor!

Dirge bought an orange Windcharger from me once and if I recall correctly Griffin has been getting into obscure Minibots recentlyish and has been developing quite the collection. Edit: Aha! Here are some of Griffin's from his amazing blog: http://griffinofoz.blogspot.com.au/2...rs-part-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    PUFFER: ¡No hablo ingles, señor!
    ja ja ja, buena llamada!

They are certainly very expensive. About a year ago I started regularly perusing ebay for South American TFs - to fill a gap in my collection (I had
    American, Asian and European figures, but no South American ones... and there was a significant number released there, between Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Mexico).

So far I have most of the cheaper ones (there are three minibots that always seem to be cheap on ebay), so now it is just a case of finding the
    odd rarer one, and hoping it goes cheap.

Not a huge collection yet, but is a good sampling of what that region of the world had during Generation 1.
    I have all three of the remote controlled cars (on the left) and one of the two Radio AM robots, plus one Jumpstarter (am currently looking for the
    other three), and the three cheap minibot redecos... which there are at least 40 different ones out there.

Oh yeah - I also have a boxed Salt Man-Z. I should have thought of that since he's sitting on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Just curious.

I'm finally starting to dip my toes, and am wondering how many of my buddies here are into the awesomeness that is Brazilian/Argentinean/Mexican Minibots.
    Nice work on the greenie. I'm into them.

I'm in the process of my second purchase: a blue Estrela Sedan, which is being done for me. Can't wait to talk more about it.

So, what have you got?
    I do like blue .. I bought the green and white CJ, the yellow and blue Windcharger and the orange BB off one seller, my smaller regret is not buying the red BB which he had available at the same time (and at about half of todays price)
    What do you like?
    MINIBOTS!
    I want to keep getting them but the cost is pretty horrendous for what they are.
    Big fan of Puffer, But i've never seen one for sale.
    That brown and tan Brawn looks interesting, especially if it's possible to get it for a decent price.

Do you think collectors are even peripherally aware of these?
    Not sure. I would say most G1 collectors are..

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Some nice stuff here.

I always watch the Star Wars toy fandom. Particularly their vintage guys.

Seeing what's hot, seeing what's fallen out of flavour.

Yet those trends don't seem to translate onto us.

Eg Star Wars bootlegs: colour variants are the big thing.
    This is the same thing. Pretty damn close to exactly the same thing.

It has collectors frothing and throwing solid 5 figure bids onto figures.

Craziness.

Nice pics there, guys. Always nice to see a Puffer.

I wish I still had all the details from the Antex find from 2005 (or was it 07?). My green Carrera is from that find. Amazing what what those finds can do.

And lets be honest, green Carrera is a pretty cool figure. Him being cheap is great. What a great 'gateway' figure, to lure other collectors.

But mostly, but mostly, I want Bumpers.

All shapes. All sizes. All colours.

BUMPER.