Thread: (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

Robots in Disguise was a quick filler series for Hasbro, after the quick axing of Beast Machines. It only lasted a year, and was reworked from the Japanese series "Car Robots".

Details of this series can be read up here.

What are your Best and Worst toys of this Era?

What was your first one, and when?

What ones are you currently most looking for and why?

Show us some pics of your collection of the ones you have.

The thing I loved about the RID line is the variety. The way it was a bit of everything to date, and new figures using the best aspects of the past.

RID is the only series where I have collected all the show cast (well except big ol' Brave) because the cartoon was fun and the selection of toys is so varied.

There's G1 toys (Brave Max, Mega-Octane, Rotor, Movor, etc), G2 (Scourge, Ironhide, W.A.R.S, R.E.V., etc), Beast Wars (Sky-Byte, Slapper, Dark Scream), Machine Wars (Tow-Line, Skidz).

And the new figures were great. Fully-poseable BW style robots with realistic car modes! A new construction vehicle combiner. A Bullet train combiner. A new Optimus Prime with a combining trailer. And a Megatron that could literally give you the finger.

I would have loved if there were some more Autobot cars to go with the Brothers ("super" recolours weren't enough) but otherwise this was a great line. It was such a shame that the Mega toys didn't make it to stores here.

My collection sometime around 2002 (before Internet shopping filled in the gaps).

rid_4 by Paulbot, on Flickr

Not only the best toy in the RiD line, but the best toy ever... Optimus Prime. Three toys in one, the figure was fun enough by itself with the normal robot and super robot but the ability to combine with Ultra Magnus too to form Omega Prime... The engineering that went into the two toys was impressive (although the transformation into Omega Prime was very complex), and for some reason, Optimus Prime transforming into a fire engine seemed so appropriate.

I believe the best thing about RiD was how it gave us some interesting combiners. Particularly Rail Racer, a three-component combiner was rare and the transformation to combine the three bots was interesting. The individual robots each looked good and were unique, transforming into bullet trains. Rail Racer is the second best combiner figure ever (behind Omega Prime).

Landfill was good, another odd one with only having four component robots. The gimmick that involved any of the three limb bots being able to be a leg or upper body was fun and cleverly engineered.

Megatron was also interesting with this multiple modes (although a few of them was a write-off), some creative ones such as the giant hand (when I first learned that the toy actually does that after watching the cartoon, it made me wanna run out and get it right away) and cooler ones such as the twin-headed dragon.

Overall though, all the new molds in the RiD line was spectacular.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

The toys in the RID line were spectacular!!!
    My first SuperCharged Sideburn and now I have a toy of every character that appeared in the show... If I could post pictures I would post my shelf of RID

It seemed like a pretty good line in hindsight but I unfortunately missed it at the time.

I did manage to snag the Leader (super? Ultra?) Ultra Magnus for $ 0.39 at the Ballarat Target in 2007. Pretty pleased with that, even if I hate his legs.

Theonly other one I have is a Korean Black Convoy.

There are ten truly great toys from the RiD line. Tow-Line, Skid-Z, Megatron Megabolt, Cryotek, Destructicon Bludgeon, Jhiaxus, Deluxe X-Brawn, Railspike, Rapid Run and Midnight Express. Rail Racer is the greatest gestalt the Transformers line has ever produced. My Daiei Exclusive Wrecker Hook is one of my favourite Transformers, and I also own an unpainted prototype test shot of Jhiaxus, another collection fave.

As a toyline, Robots In Disguise was better than both its predecessor and its successor. What else could a line want?

Best: would have to be railracer, as have only acquired this toy not long ago. But loved him in the cartoon.

Worst: would have to be The reissue of the machine wars line, I think I might have a few in this line.

Optimus prime when he hit the shelves. Loved the fire truck theme.

None I don't think, as stated in a previous post about the reuse of the machine wars line, I will not get all of those ones.

All boxed up, will have to find them.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Best: Super Mach Alert. A great figure, and I particularly like this deco because the colours are somewhat similar to those used by Italian Polizia, making it feel more like a robot in disguise. While the regular Mach Alert looks like a standard Japanese patrol car, I've NEVER seen or heard of Japanese cops driving a Lamborghini!

Worst: All those endless weird redecos of the SpyChangers! The transparent ones with random colours (like transparent-grape coloured W.A.R.S.) was just weird. These toys weren't bad... SpyChangers are damn cool... but we just got hit with what felt like endless slews of just strange redecos! Still... they seemed to sell better than endless waves of Bumblebee.

Super Fire Convoy and Gigatron in 2000.

None. I'm collecting Transformers Prime Beast Hunters atm.