Thread: Toy Review - Transformers Platinum Edition Omega Supreme

Default Toy Review - Transformers Platinum Edition Omega Supreme

Series - Platinum Edition
    Sub-line - Year of the Snake
    Size/class - N/A
    Wave - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Repaint and retool of Energon Omega Supreme
    Released here - June 2013
    Approximate Retail Price - $98 (Big W exclusive)
    Approximate Size - 36cm to top of head, 37cm to top of shoulder weapon
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Battle cruiser & Construction vehicle
    Main Features/Gimmicks - rotating turrets, spinning claw arm, Powerlinx ports, Energon chip port
    Main Colours - Grey and red
    Main Accessories - x2 missiles

------------------------

Pics

In box

Robot out of box

Close up of head with visor opened

TFwiki image showing all modes

------------------------

Thoughts

PROS
    + Visually a big improvement over Energon Omega Supreme. Gone are the haphazard colours of the original toy, replaced with a more unified colour scheme inspired by G1 Omega Supreme that really works a lot better on this mould. Although the wheels were better coloured on the original, but overall the colours here are an improvement.
    + The claw arm looks really nice and is a good representation of WFC Omega Supreme's claw arm. The way it spins looks cool too.
    + The new head looks fantastic. Great mould and I really like how the visor flips up. Yes, the head is puny, but understandably so since the head needs to be able to tuck inside the chest (whereas the original was a Headmaster). While the Headmaster gimmick on the original toy was really great, I can understand why they've removed it on this toy as it wouldn't have made sense in the context of what is supposed to be an incarnation of G1 Omega Supreme (who originally was never a Headmaster). Still... that Headmaster gimmick was damn fun.
    + Still a simple but fun toy.
    + A really nice packaging style that suits the Year of the Snake Lunar Calendar theme well. The box is designed to resemble the Red Envelopes that are given out to children during Lunar New Year celebrations by some cultures (e.g. Chinese). The box is covered with silhouettes of the Autobot logo with a snake motif with one of them containing the Kanji 癸巳 ("Mizunotomi"), referring to the Year of the Snake in the Sexagenary calendar cycle. The upright and upside down logos are reminiscent of the way that the Kanji 福 ("fuku": Luck/fortune) is often written on Lunar New Year signs in Chinese culture.

CONS
    - The electronic gimmick has been removed. While this personally doesn't bother me, it was admittedly a fairly neat feature of the original toy and an example of the use of a sound gimmick that wasn't too intrusive on the original figure. Somewhat of a shame that it's absent on this incarnation.
    - While the loss of the Headmaster gimmick is understandable, it does reduce the play value of this toy.
    - The cannon on the back of the head comes off quite easily.
    - The red on the front of the Construction Vehicle mode feels too bright for me... would've preferred a darker red like that used on the chest.
    - This toy is still fundamentally a big and expensive "Mega Pretender Shell" for Energon Optimus Prime (who's been repainted as Platinum Edition Optimus Prime). The transformation is incredibly simple (even though the instructions claim that it's "Level 3: Advanced"), with the Construction vehicle just being half the robot lying on its side. :/ The Battle cruiser does have a couple more steps to its transformation, but it is still fundamentally the other half lying on its side. Having said that, it's simple but it works... but the G1 toy did it better.
    - Three gripes about the packaging: 1) the top panel where the carry handle in is only held together by glue, so I don't recommend actually carrying it by the handle (at least not for any prolonged period of time or if the box is empty); 2) The box art still uses the Energon Omega Supreme art but recoloured - the issue being that the head is still the Headmaster head of Energon OS; 3) friggin' twist ties!!

OVERALL
    This toy is clearly intended for collectors. As far as fun play value's concern, the original Energon Omega Supreme is still a better toy as it has more play gimmicks to it, such as a working crane arm, electronic sounds and the incredible Headmaster gimmick that's all been stripped off this toy. But visually this toy does look better and is a fairly decent representation of War For Cybertron Omega Supreme. The retooling on the head and claw arm is really just beautiful. The red wheels make the Construction vehicle look tacky though, and I wish they'd kept the original black and silver colours from the original. Is it really worth $98? Probably not... but it seems to be the cheapest price that I've been able to find for this toy. If you really wanna get this toy, I'd take advantage of the Big W toy sale price now... if it's not a priority, then maybe wait and see if this toy shelf warms and goes down in price later (as Jetwing Optimus Prime did, although admittedly that toy wasn't a store exclusive).

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 29th June 2013 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    . Is it really worth $83? Probably not... but it seems to be the cheapest price that I've been able to find for this toy. If you really wanna get this toy, I'd take advantage of the Big W toy sale price now... if it's not a priority, then maybe wait and see if this toy shelf warms and goes down in price later (as Jetwing Optimus Prime did, although admittedly that toy wasn't a store exclusive).
    $83? I'm pretty sure it's $99 at my big W, the sale price is the same as the normal price.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Not. Even. Interested.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I love the look of this from the knees up. But the bright red and black lower legs are too distracting and assymetric for my liking.

I don't know if I should leave mine MISB or open him.

Totally agree with Gok's review. I picked up this toy because it has quiet a good likeness for a classics Omega Supreme. Sure its really basic to transform, but I mainly wanted this one in robot mode for display, so I'm prepared to let negatives slide. It also wasn't over my budget, would of preferred it to be say a fraction cheaper. I look at it also and its practically begging to be customised. Overall the colours are good, but its that red train and the reds wheels on the right leg need to be changed. I voted only if.

Hmmm Howd you manage to shave off a few more dollars from the price there Gok? Isnt it $98?

Anyways I agree with what you said, but yeah I really wish they didn't strip the electronics, coz at that price range it should've had at least those gimmicks in place, coz the former Energon was around the same price but had all those gimmicks. Especially if they added like, a talking gimmick instead of sound effects only. Would've been awesome!

One thing though I failed to notice and Im glad you pointed out is that the visor opens . I guess coz when I noted that the electronics where missing I kinda fixated on that issue . Anyways, still a very nice figure. With this also , my Energon Omega has been placed back to his proper line shelving. As he was sorta taking the place for this figure, thought Id repurpose him but with the arrival of this figure, back the older mould figure goes hehehe. I bought mine last few months ago from BBTS , $99 so for it to arrive here and sold on retail... grrrrrrrrrrr - cheaper by a dollar and postage cost too. daaayuum.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Oops, I've corrected the price to $98.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSoundwave View Post
    I don't know if I should leave mine MISB or open him.
    Open!

I've made a thread for posting comparison pics of Omega Supreme here

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Open!
    Took your advice and opened him up and let me tell you it was totally worth it