Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Harmony Gold files lawsuit over SDCC Jetfire

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

but is he in prison? If he is surely some nut job is doing the movie for him to pay off debt. lol

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    but is he in prison? If he is surely some nut job is doing the movie for him to pay off debt. lol
    No, I'm pretty sure he's suing his accountant...

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    A GI Joe Skystriker isn't a Valkyrie either, yet they are suing on one but not the other. They both look like Robotech jets.
    And I'd imagine that's exactly the sort of argument Hasbro's lawyers will be using. It's pretty much how IP law works.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Could just pick any toy collector and ask to differentiate which is a valk and which is Jetfire.

Probably you find out that it would piss HG more because some expert just starts saying that's not even a valkrie, that HG robotech. A valkrie is from Macross. lol

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ...suddenly michael bay doesn't seem so bad...
    Harmony Gold bought the rights to rape our childhoods back in 1983. Thirty years later they still haven't bothered to do it, they just want the option of suing Michael Bay.

Playing devil's advocate for a second - the rocket boosters are unique to Robotech, which is an IP Harmony Gold currently have rights to in America. The jet on its own, wouldn't be, which is why they wouldn't have a claim over any F-14 toy, unless it was painted to replicate a Robotech veratech pattern. And probably why Hasbro (apparently) sought permission for the Classics homage of Jetfire to have the rocket boosters.

A MP "Skyfire" would be possible, based on the cartoon model, as the rocket booster was completely unique to Hasbro. It amazes me that after 28 years, Hasbro have never created one based on the cartoon, which they wouldn't have to pay any rights to.

EDIT - I was just trying to look for the fan-made one that was on display back in BotCon 2000-ish, which was fully transformable, and looked like the cartoon model, so is very do-able.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find it... but came across quite a lot of "erotic artwork" of Jetfire with Starscream, which I never realised there was such a significant interest in that pairing. (I've seen/heard of other popular pairings, but never those two)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find it... but came across quite a lot of "erotic artwork" of Jetfire with Starscream, which I never realised there was such a significant interest in that pairing. (I've seen/heard of other popular pairings, but never those two)
    See that's why you should never turn GoogleSafeSearch off ;P
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    EDIT - I was just trying to look for the fan-made one that was on display back in BotCon 2000-ish, which was fully transformable, and looked like the cartoon model, so is very do-able.
    I recall the custom you're talking about, and thought I might have a copy in my archives but no.

And the Skyfire and Starscream coupling makes perfect sense, afterall they explored the universe together, separated for millions of years, and on being reunited Skyfire trusted Starscream's word and joined him at his side as a Decepticon.

I thought that Classics Jetfire's boosters, combined with the design of the toy itself, was different enough that it wouldn't fall under being classified as an IP infringement. I can see that Hasbro's added small wings on the sides of the boosters which does make it a bit different from the original Valkyrie design, but the rest of the boosters look too similar, and probably combined with the Skystriker and Valkyrie both being based on the F14 Tomcat making it look even more similar. (-_-)

Some dude's custom MP Skyfire

And another meme poking fun at HG