View Poll Results: GEN Metroplex - worth buying?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... two, three, or even all of them!

17 26.98%
  • Yes, but just one

34 53.97%
  • Only if...

7 11.11%
  • Not worth it

1 1.59%
  • I'm not even interested.

4 6.35%

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Metroplex (all versions)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review: Generations Metroplex (all versions)

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

NOTE - versions so far, covered by this topic...
    - Regular Hasbro retail version
    - SDCC version (silver hips & face, 2 guns, 12 purple & red decoys)
    - Asian convention version (silver hips & face, 2 guns, 12 silver & gold decoys)
    - JP version (silver face, 2 guns, white carrier deck)

Metroplex w/ Scamper
    Series - Transformers Generations (both US & JP)
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Titan
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - not yet (released globally July (US) - Sept (JP) 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - US$125 (could be here for AU$175-250)
    Approximate Size - 58cm (head), 62cm (shoulder cannons), 9cm (Scamper), 4-5cm (decoys).
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - City, Battlestation (Metroplex), Cybertronian car (Scamper)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Biggest/tallest Transformers toy ever, missile launcher(s), electronic lights and sounds (including game phrases), Scamper, decoys (in applicable versions).
    Main Colours - white, grey, black, red (Metroplex), black/grey (Scamper)
    Main Accessories - 2 shoulder guns, missile (2 in applicable versions), missile launcher (2 in applicable versions), Scamper, Scamper's gun.

(images of Hasbro version - promo images)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    - SDCC version (silver hips & face, 2 guns, 12 purple & red decoys)
    The SDCC version also features metallic stickers which the other versions including the ACG-con version lack.

i found that my figure, the head is fiddly when im tipping it forward then back again it not staying in place and has gaps between the joins ... And also that he top heavy so any movement on the knees will just topple him over... but beside that he awesome with just his huge presence !

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    The SDCC version also features metallic stickers which the other versions including the ACG-con version lack.
    Wait, so the ACG-con does not have the metallic stickers? I thought the only difference between it and the SDCC version was the decoy colours??
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Clash of the Titans....

Regular and SDCC Hasbro versions. (plus a couple Gen1 decoys thrown in for comparison to the SDCC decoys)

Shiny stickers are more vibrant up close, but in photos look a lot darker. The foil stickers are also thicker, so don't fold to well, which means they don't stay stuck to areas that aren't flat. (they will need to be glued, or else those stickers will eventually catch something and come off)

Scampers are almost identical... but I think there is a slight variance in the shading of the red plastic. (it could just be my eyes though)

I'm not planning to get the HK version, as the main toy isn't really any different to the SDCC version... but might be tempted to buy a JP version if I see one at retail over there (if I end up going there later this year), as I'd just bring it home on the plane with me as checked luggage and save postage.

A look at how much bigger the SDCC box is to previous Metroplex boxes (with a Classics seeker toy thrown in for scale)...

That SDCC art/box is very nice but I thought the box I carried home was big enough!

My initial thoughts on the regular Hasbro version:

Big! So big. A bit too big for his legs. It's not really a figure you can pose on the shelf but he's got enough joints to be flexible.

The fake kibble helipad on the robot mode shoulder is a bit odd.

He looks good without stickers, enough textures. I don't miss the chrome. I will add stickers but don't really like the ones with Cybertronian on them.

I love the vehicle mode, it's the space battleship I imagined back in the 90s, but both vehicle and city mode do suffer a little by the very long legs. They look fine in robot mode but stretch out a bit too far when folded out.

I had trouble getting the ramp out the first go, was worried about breaking it because it was so tight.

I like that that the city-to-battle station transformation adds a little more complexity than the G1 version had.

It's a great homage/remake to the original toy, the big toy I always wanted Metroplex to be, and I think for the size quite a reasonable priced figure.

One thing I want to mention now that I have the SDCC version that already has the right arm attached... if you pop in the arm of the regular one and it keeps coming out while transforming it - plug it in at 90 degrees (instead of the prongs being top and bottom - have them front and back). It is very tough to get it in (which is why I didn't think it went in that way at first), but when it does go in, it STAYS in.
    (thanks to JustOwen for helping me figure it out)