Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Man, I can't wait for Hot Rod!

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Focus!

I have already written articles on the importance of discipline, occasional sacrifice and priorities in Transformers collecting on this blog, but I feel things have changed enough recently to warrant a second look at how I collect. Before it was a case of maybe choosing the toy lines and styles I liked, collecting those and cutting back on impulse or peripheral, tangential toy purchases. Now, it is becoming hard to even collect all the moulds – never mind repaints – of the same line. So, it’s time to focus.

Focus! | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

I like your photos and articles Maz. I think though that maybe you were a little too positive about the MP-11T figure considering some of the stuff you wrote, it seems like you had a bunch of valid complaints and issues but then said what the hell it's awesome anyway just because hehe

Can't help it mate, I am absolutely thrilled with my Thundercracker. I am in awe every time I pick him up and he looks the absolute dog's bollocks every time I get him out. The issues mean I'm not blind to its defects but I'd buy it again a hundred times over. Even sold my Hasbro one now as I felt no need to have it in the shadow of MP-11T!

All the best
    Maz

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post

Focus! | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz
    interesting Article Maz, and something I see people doing on and off all the time. focusing their collection.

I feel this is something I've been doing for years. I have had a reasonable income since Uni but the saving up for and now sharing a home loan has meant that I've always had to limit my transformers spending.

I rarely purchase repaints unless it's something with precedent like the seekers or Datsun Bros. several years ago, I skipped the movie darkmount toy because who has a blue tank, and was happy when the repaint came out as skullgrin and bought that.

I think the key with products like transformers is patience. lots of patience. I've skipped a whole lot of Independent toy product in the hopes/expectation that eventually Takara will release that toy as a Masterpiece. Ironhide has met that expectation happily. As did UW Devastator.

The great thing about hanging out for specific characters in specific lines like this is it allows funds to be saved and then spent on lines that I'd otherwise have no money for. I've always been a new design/mould collector. Even a line that I'm not super interested in (the current RID) I'll end up with 5 or 10 figures just so I can see how they're engineered. I'm able to save up and get a FT Scoria (which I dig) or a Fans project smart robin, MMC Spartan.

I'm regularly behind the 8 ball with purchases of New Indie stuff but that allows me to make sure I'm only buying the cream of the crop and not regretting anything.

I'm the kind of collector that hates selling off my stuff; 1 because I have high sentimental value for it and 2 because I don't like selling toys. I buy to keep so being choosey before I start helps me avoid much buyers remorse.

My collection has a broad focus, G1, Alternators/Binaltech, Generations/Classics/etc, movies, Masterpiece, TF Prime, TF Animated, but within that broad focus there is tight focus, or at least I feel there is.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Seems like you've a got a problem Maz
    Our collecting has followed a similar trajectory over the last 15 years but I can see we are now diverging, which for me is for the financial better, and partly in thanks to having a three year old daughter.
    My collection is still great but it is being more and more refined seemingly every week, and with the plethora of MP and 3PMP toys which (other than a few select G1 items I'm patiently chasing) to choose from I have been extremely disciplined with what I buy.
    It's bloody hard but can be done, just like I have stuck with Williams F1 through the tough years and now finally in the last two seasons we have seen some success (plus Pastor's anomalous win in Spain in 2012 ) But this required discipline to not jump to Red Bull where Webber was driving and should have had the title in 2010 and also had Seb's four titles, anyway, I have gone off on a tangent here but know you love F1 so perhaps it would help a bit
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters. The Transformers gimmick juggernaut powered on through 1987 to 1988, bringing us the first reincarnation of Optimus Prime, a smaller range of Headmasters and Targetmasters (smaller toys, too) and introducing us to the concept of Powermaster-activated transformations. While Takara in Japan really broke off at a tangent and introduced Super God Masterforce, the Hasbro range of Headmasters (Takara versions referred to as Headmaster Juniors) – especially the Autobots – evolved into a slightly different concept compared to their legendary 1987 predecessors. This week we look at Autobot Headmasters Siren, Nightbeat and Hosehead together with their Nebulan partners. You can also have a look back at our previous articles on 1987 Autobot Headmasters, Targetmasters and Monsterbots as well as 1987 Decepticon Headmasters, Headmaster Horrorcons and Targetmasters for some background on the ‘New Direction’ Transformers went in that year. With the imminent Transformers Titans Return toy line set to feature 1988 Headmaster characters among others, what better time to revisit the original inspiration?

1988 Autobot Headmasters | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Play With Your Toys!

I’ve often said that simply buying, amassing and displaying toys is not enough to sustain my interest and passion for Transformers as a hobby. I’ve spent many years researching variants, writing articles, photographing toys and trying to unearth unknown facets of the global Transformers and pre-Transformers history since joining the community. Much of my writing in the last year or two has become geared towards new figure reviews, with vintage Transformer articles becoming rarer as my budget and priorities have shifted unpredictably. With my collection of toys seemingly resembling the converging direction of many others’, I felt like I needed to find further ways of keeping things interesting. I’m focusing on Masterpiece for this article because they’re probably a lot more removed from the idea of straightforward children’s toys than most of the other Transformers product we have today, in the minds of collectors.

Play With Your Toys | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Imagine a relatively complete collection of Generation 1 Transformers from about 1984 to 1988. An impressive sight and a wonderful achievement. Now imagine that same collection in the form of prototypes, test shots, first shots, packaging samples, hand-painted mock-ups and pre-release box/catalogue/Toyfair photo subjects. Throw in the rarest production Diaclone, Micro Change, Generation 1, Minibots, TF Juniors, Kabaya kits, Lucky draw/Campaign prizes and Takara watches in existence, season it with original vintage G1 box artwork, animation bibles, storyboards, unreleased G2 Transformers, and you have one of the most unique, well-respected, breathtaking and landmark collections in the history of the hobby. One day there might be an essential series of books about the significance of Ras’ collected treasures – literally the history of the Transformers toy brand – but for now here’s his interview and a majority of his collection display.

Collector Interview 46 – Ras | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

A great article. That story about the ebay lot of G1 prototypes coming from the estate of a former designer is the stuff dreams are made of.