Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter TV Show

Apparently this piece was missing the poster and paperwork. Ive never been to keen on the VS and Goodbye sets. Your essentially paying for a box as there is very minimal difference between the original vintage releases. Much rather spend the $ on a Black Shadow/Blue Bacchus/Artfire etc

My thoughts as well. Prioritise toys that are different first... and even if I had a million dollars, I still wouldn't spend thousands on a toy that is basically a duplicate in different packaging, just to say that I have one.
    I did that once with a Lucky Draw Primus, and there's little personal reward, and I have no interest in buying any others that are just bought for their value or rarity.

Interesting podcast segment discussing how set up toy hunter is (as if we didnt know i guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Huk4YTg#t=4970

Season 3 Episode 11 was painful. On stop of explaining obvious things as if the viewers are aliens to planet Earth, it's become clear that they've bought a bunch of Lucky Draw toys, and have been planting them in people's houses. Wow, what a coincidence that they found the Green/White Power Ranger's Lucky Draw sword at some girl's house and then later bumped into the actor who played that very character at a convention and sold it to him. Plus some hilariously bad fakeness from Stan Lee.

I decided to check both episodes yesterday to see if it was just the same episode repeated (they were only about 4 hours apart), and it wasn't. The morning episode was "new" which was the season finale (selling off his stuff at NYCC), and the afternoon episode was the one they showed first (with Bumblejumper and BotCon's Pete).

The finale episode felt a little tasteless, showing people haggling for his items and then he puts up on screen how much extra money he made them pay for those items by listing his purchase prices. How would you feel, watching that show and seeing how much money he made off you.
    Don't get me wrong - his business NEEDS to make a profit, but who does it benefit to publicly boast about it? It doesn't benefit the people who buy his stuff, and could loose business from people knowing that they can't get a bargain from him. And it doesn't benefit the rest of us collectors, as it will inspire more people to make money from toys... charging more than they are really worth, thinking that all toys are worth money now.
    I like learning about toys I didn't know about, and would love the show to focus more on the finds and values than the reselling, but the reselling element spoils it for looking like one person just bragging... and for the aforementioned negative impact on pushing up prices for us toy collectors.

I'd probably prefer to see a toy show focusing on "valuations" like that Antiques Roadshow TV show on channel 9 (maybe as a booth at conventions or fairs), which shows us the odd, the rare and the popular, and rough values for our amazement... not for the personal boasting gain of one person.

I looked on next week's TV schedule, and the show is not on at all next week (on channel 99). Which means they aren't showing the Christmas special episode that was at the end of season 1.

They didn't add the 13th episode to the Jump-in site either... which is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The finale episode felt a little tasteless, showing people haggling for his items and then he puts up on screen how much extra money he made them pay for those items by listing his purchase prices. How would you feel, watching that show and seeing how much money he made off you.
    Don't get me wrong - his business NEEDS to make a profit, but who does it benefit to publicly boast about it? It doesn't benefit the people who buy his stuff, and could loose business from people knowing that they can't get a bargain from him. And it doesn't benefit the rest of us collectors, as it will inspire more people to make money from toys... charging more than they are really worth, thinking that all toys are worth money now.
    I like learning about toys I didn't know about, and would love the show to focus more on the finds and values than the reselling, but the reselling element spoils it for looking like one person just bragging... and for the aforementioned negative impact on pushing up prices for us toy collectors.
    This was my complaint when I watched it for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Wait, they just did a wrap up and I see that the point of this show is for the host to buying toys from collectors cheap, sell them for more and make a profit for himself?

Is the audience supposed to cheer for this guy making money from the "loser" toy collectors he's ripping off? Really?
    And everytime I've caught some of it since. I haven't seem him actually sell items, but at the end of each segment with a collector I've seen him do the "I bought this from [person on show] for $X and I will sell it for [$Y] and make [$Y - $X]"

I also get that's how he makes his money as a business, but it always seems to prove that the collector should just sell the item him/herself.

That's the other thing I'm not too keen about with this guy... picking over the 100s or even 1000s of items people have obviously contacted him to come and buy from them, to only leave with a handful of the valuable items, leaving the rest for the collector to then sell on ebay or collectors fairs anyway (which would be where they would have got the bigger bucks on the items Jordan scavenged from them).
    It's like in that NYCC episode, he wants "head turner" items to get people into his booth, but those original collectors could be using those premium items to help sell the (bulk) rest of their collections that they now have to sell in other ways.

Now I see why the first episode was repeated yesterday afternoon instead of the last episode... they are replaying them weekdays at 6pm on channel 99.
    And it looks like they are following the same order as the first run, as today's was episode 7 (Chiller Time).
    So if you missed any, just check out my list on post #86 for the order and work out the day it should be on.

Youtube may be better option to watch.