Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter TV Show

Didnt see the one on TV but saw some of it on youtube last time. The GI Joe haul he found was awesome.....

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That guy is starting to grow on me... as he wasn't as predatory this episode, justifying his prices and then not charging more than he claimed. (some could have sold for a lot more, based on how quickly some sold without haggling)

It's also good to see some vintage (pre-80s) toys and learning a little about them.
    I think I can get to like this show if his episodes focus more on scouring other toy dealers store-rooms (instead of private collectors), as they know how to get a fair price for their items.
    He doesn't seem very predatory to me. I watch American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Cash Cowboys and a bunch of similarly themed shows on 7mate. They all buy from collectors and give the selling party about 50% or less of what they will sell it for. Sometimes they will buy something for say $100 and sell it for thousands. This guy is no worse than any other Picker.

Anyway my Mum has that Green Ghost game that he found and sold last night. Can't believe it's worth $150 US.

Last night's episode had another Transformers collection, with about 1500 TFs... and a yellow VW out the front with an Autobot symbol on the front. It's just a shame that the episodes don't spend much time going over collections, but just gets straight into looking for something to buy.

One thing that impressed me in another part of the episode, was that the Toy Hunter guy actually offered to pay more for something than what the seller was wanting.

missed it, last week there wasn't any TFs.

What is the condition of the TFs? boxed/loose?

The guy seems to just have moderate/small profit from buying these toys when compared to the auction hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ...snip

One thing that impressed me in another part of the episode, was that the Toy Hunter guy actually offered to pay more for something than what the seller was wanting.
    I have watched all of season one and noticed he does this on a few occasions says something like "I'd love to give you $100 but they're worth more than that so I'll give you $200" I'm not sure if he really is just a generous guy that is happy as long as he makes something or if it is just an act to make him look good on the show.

That aside I quite enjoy the show purely for the toy history lessons

he probably want to maintain good contact and relationship with these fellas, so they can go back and get toys off them.... Kinda like the american picker dudes, they sold something for so much more money then they expect, and they went back and give some of the money back to the original seller.

Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    he probably want to maintain good contact and relationship with these fellas, so they can go back and get toys off them.... Kinda like the american picker dudes, they sold something for so much more money then they expect, and they went back and give some of the money back to the original seller.
    Yeah I remember that, the American Pickers, Mike and Frank, bought some old canvas murals from a side show that an elderly couple owned. Paid something like $500 to the couple and sold it for $10,000.00. That was really classy to go back and give a bunch of money to the couple that they had no obligation to.

I like the fact that Toy Hunter Jordan also brokers toys as we saw in episode one. He would have made $500 if he bought the Lucky Draw Rodimus and sold it. Brokering it meant that he only got $200 out of it tho, but the seller got $800. None of the other Pickers on TV do that. It's actually a smart thing to do business wise. The client refuses to part with the item for pickers buy price but will go for the higher brokerage price. Jordan makes $200 instead of $0 like most pickers would when a seller borks at the picker buy price.

I enjoy this show but wonder how much is staged. The bumble jumper bit felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    I enjoy this show but wonder how much is staged. The bumble jumper bit felt that way.
    I watch all the Picker shows plus Pawn Stars and American Restoration. I think they are all made for A&E channels and they are all staged to some degree. Toy Hunter is probably the least staged of the Picker shows. I got the feeling the editing for the half hour format instead of 1 hour makes it look more staged than it is.

One show I can't stand anymore is Auction Hunters (the pair of guys bidding on storage containers). They get some huge dollars from the items they re-sell, but excessively haggle over the re-sell price just so that they make even more money, and always walk away as the dominant party in the transactions. Like, selling an item for $10,000 that they only paid a few hundred for - why wouldn't you accept $8,000 being offered... and those people need a profit margin to resell it as well. (the pair are often asking at stores for a valuation, and when that store can only offer about half to make their own profit margin, the pair squeeze them for as close as to the value as possible... often just to make sure they have the final say/haggle) It's fascinating to see the treasures they sometimes dig up, but the arrogance of their haggling over items they are already making thousands of dollars profit on, puts me off watching it.