Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KOs worth it?

I'd say no on the KOs. They make good display pieces, but there's little heart or effort shown in it. I don't exactly mind KOs being made at really really low prices, as it can benefit someone who can't make up the cash to buy an official one. As already said, I'm not going to look down on or shame someone for buying a KO if they absolutely need to with their current financial sitatuation, as I sort of understand, not getting much money myself, still an adolescent. However, you may be able to get a loose placeholder, as Gok said, for a lower price, which is nice.

From the price you can usually tell it's a KO, which gives you some benefit.

However, what I hate and absolutely despise, is the selling of KOs at exorbitant prices, being pushed as the real thing. Honestly, from scouting eBay for various G1 figures, some MIB or MISB toys, such as Shockwave, you can tell when something's a knockoff, being below about $120, which is way too much for a KO and too low for the real thing, usually.

You see, MIB and MISB G1 figures usually command EXTRA high prices, well into $500 in some cases, which I honestly do not see as worth it anyway. The thing is, some people put KOs up at these same extra high prices, which can fool someone already well aware of the usual prices for KOs and legitimate figures, thinking that the high price must be indicative of it being totally legit.

This is why I'd never go to eBay for G1 figures unless they are loose and complete from a trusted source, as you can never be too sure on what people can do to mess around with you. I personally buy reissue toys of G1 figures anyway, unless that figure has not being reissued, in which I'd hope for HasTak do make one or look at some trusted sources, such as Transformerland, to find what I'm looking for.

I'm not exactly the best one in terms of experience, but this is just my 2c.

I recommend against it, but personally, I would still turn a blind eye to people buying KOs, provided it's ONLY EVER for personal usage (customising or temporary replacements for the real things for when they can afford them or if they are ever reissued)... and NEVER RESOLD, as someone somewhere will end up thinking it is the real thing and try to sell it as such (or intentionally sell it as a real thing knowing it isn't).
    This is because, just because I was able to afford the real things when they were out, I don't want to deprive someone else of immediate gratification if they intend to buy the real thing when they can afford to.
    But it doesn't mean I'd ever publicly promote this, because it would encourage more demand for KOs, encouraging people to Knock Off other figures.... and they are getting more and more accurate with each one.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I recommend against it, but personally, I would still turn a blind eye to people buying KOs, provided it's ONLY EVER for personal usage (customising or temporary replacements for the real things for when they can afford them or if they are ever reissued)... and NEVER RESOLD, as someone somewhere will end up thinking it is the real thing and try to sell it as such (or intentionally sell it as a real thing knowing it isn't).
    This is because, just because I was able to afford the real things when they were out, I don't want to deprive someone else of immediate gratification if they intend to buy the real thing when they can afford to.
    But it doesn't mean I'd ever publicly promote this, because it would encourage more demand for KOs, encouraging people to Knock Off other figures.... and they are getting more and more accurate with each one.
    ^This pretty much sums up my stance.

While purchasing KOs isn't illegal, selling them is - irrespective of whether or not you inform buyers that they're fake. You cannot even be in possession of a counterfeit for the purposes of trade or manufacture, thus even attempting to sell KOs in your possession may be unlawful, regardless of whether you actually sell it or not. If you're keeping it purely for personal usage and you make no attempt to sell it, then you're not committing an offence AFAIK. As I understand it, an indictable offence can carry a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment.
    (Reference: Trade Marks Act 1995)

*cough* scaled up cyberverse BH bulkhead does look pretty good *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    While purchasing KOs isn't illegal, selling them is - irrespective of whether or not you inform buyers that they're fake. You cannot even be in possession of a counterfeit for the purposes of trade or manufacture, thus even attempting to sell KOs in your possession may be unlawful, regardless of whether you actually sell it or not. If you're keeping it purely for personal usage and you make no attempt to sell it, then you're not committing an offence AFAIK. As I understand it, an indictable offence can carry a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment.
    (Reference: Trade Marks Act 1995)
    Imagine if any of the above was enforced - Parklea and every other flea market in Australia would be shut down Was there just last weekend and aside from the obvious KO Transformers, they also had numerous counterfeit NFL Jerseys for sale. I watched an interview with the CEO of Fanatics (official supplier of NFL merchandise) the other day and he went on record to say that their biggest competition is from overseas counterfeiters and last year alone they shut down over 4000 websites selling KO apparel. They'll never get rid of the problem as long as consumers vote with their money. Even downloading movies and TV shows seems to be an acceptable practice these days. It would be interesting to know how many people here complaining about knock-offs illegally download content. I know of a few offhand...
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Imagine if any of the above was enforced - Parklea and every other flea market in Australia would be shut down Was there just last weekend and aside from the obvious KO Transformers, they also had numerous counterfeit NFL Jerseys for sale. I watched an interview with the CEO of Fanatics (official supplier of NFL merchandise) the other day and he went on record to say that their biggest competition is from overseas counterfeiters and last year alone they shut down over 4000 websites selling KO apparel.
    Police do occasionally raid and catch counterfeit sellers at these markets.
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225842945351
    http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/...mayhem/xjpqjag

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Even downloading movies and TV shows seems to be an acceptable practice these days. It would be interesting to know how many people here complaining about knock-offs illegally download content. I know of a few offhand...
    I only download Transformers eps so I can watch them. Once they're officially released on DVD/BR, I purchase it and delete the downloaded copies off my computer. Needless to say I can't wait for Animated Season 3 to be released on DVD (should've been released long ago).

I only download Transformers eps so I can watch them. Once they're officially released on DVD/BR, I purchase it and delete the downloaded copies off my computer. Needless to say I can't wait for Animated Season 3 to be released on DVD (should've been released long ago).
    I have been doing the same thing. I downloaded Prime 1 - 3 and Rising and have been deleting them as Madman releases the Blu-ray. Unfortunatly that means I still have season 2 onwards on my hard drive, but thats a discussion for another thread.

Police do occasionally raid and catch counterfeit sellers at these markets.
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225842945351
    http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/...mayhem/xjpqjag
    Occasionally being the operative word. One of those news articles is 4 years old. The video link gives the impression that they were specifically targeting Manchester United jerseys as their brand representative was present - what about all the other jerseys she was selling. It's not just about sporting apparel, I'd wager that a good 80% or more brand items being sold at markets today are counterfeit. It's a half-hearted effort by the authorities to target a select few traders when in reality if they really cared about cracking down on this illegal activity, they could close most markets altogether. Why don't they then? Cause it would be bad for business the same way that banning cigarettes outright would be i.e. no government taxes to be collected.

Just to be clear, my comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular however, because you plan on buying them later makes it OK to download them now You do realise that's still illegal right? I hope that's not your defense
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Fine. I won't download any more episodes of future Transformers series then. I guess I'll just have to avoid spoilers until they're available on DVD/BR (which can be a good 9-10 months if I preorder the US R1 set). Thaaat's gonna be heaps of fun. (-_-)