Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What specific type of F15 was Starscream?

Default What specific type of F15 was Starscream?

anyone know?

A gray one with bits of red and blue

Given the toy was released after the C model had gone into production (roughly 1979/80), and the size of the canopy ruling out a trainer, I would suggest he's supposed to represent a single seat A or C (or J - being the C models produced for Japan from about '81 - but the toy may predate the J ).

From memory, there's no external differences between the A and C - it's all upgraded avionics, engines, etc. There were some external changes between early and late A's but can't recall what they were off the top of my head (and therefore if they're external or even able to be made out on the approximated version of the toy).

However, I think later/updated toys of Starscream, based on canopies, are two seaters (and very mixed in that they could be a B, D or E. Though I haven't really looked at the Masterpiece versions which should be accurate enough to have some tell tale signs to narrow it down... might have a look tonight).

(I've wondered this before too but not delved too deep into it )

Well, I know it's not an E, as the originals didn't have the bulges on the sides of the air intakes. So the G1 seekers were not 15Es. MP03, however was an E.

I think I'll go for an F15A, C or J... now to decide which model to get...

I'm thinking of making 1/72 F15s in G1 colours... SS TC and SW...

wiki says F-15 Eagle.

the F-15 A, C and J were the only variants to have single seat configuration.
    the B and D were 2 seat training versions.
    The F-15N was a carrier capable variant.

The 15-E is the most current and capable version of the aircraft but I'm pretty sure it's a twin seater.

I don't know how many seats the original toy had, but the original toy had flat sides to the fuselage so you could argue that it's probably one of the A, C or J variants. I'd prefer C, as it's the more advanced version, though given the origin of the toys, it could just as easily be the J which was the variant sold to Japan. from what I can see on the Wiki, the pre-F-15E variants that had 2 seats were training variants.

the generations toy and the original masterpiece release (MP-03) had the conformal fuel tanks on the side of the fuselage, making it clearly the F-15-E Strike Eagle. This is a two seater plane however, with a pilot and a co-pilot/WSO(weapons system officer). I'm not sure about the generations toy but I recall the MP only having 1 seat, though probably room for two if it didn't have to transform.

so, I'd say G1 Toy, F-15C, modern toys, F-15E, though MP-11 is probably the F-15C also.

EDIT< or what Stug and Dinkydarth said >
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

G1 Cartoon version? A,C or J?

well, I've just done a bit of a Google search and can't even find a picture of his vehicle mode from the show.
    given the amount of animation errors in the original show, you could probably pick whichever suited your fancy. based on what Stug Was saying I'd say it's most likely his show model was a C
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

If you're looking for a model I'd go with any A, C or J as I don't think the differences are notable (especially as you're talking 1:6 scale). The only easy way to tell is look at the tail numbers (the first 2 digits - or smaller digits - on US aircraft are the year of manufacture) and given the Deceps/Teletran/Aunty didn't have that great an eye for detail in establishing their disguises it's anyone's guess!

Also I posted this over in the model building thread. They're not mine but wish they were!

A note on the "bulges"/conformal tanks too: C, D and E all can carry them (they're removable - just that the E is commonly seen with them on because their strike role generally requires the additional range). So it's actually easier to ID if it's a single seater with the tanks as it can only be a C.

I always thought he was an A. But he could be a C.

Absolutely beautiful planes up close. Amazing afterburners... I've got a picture of my head in one from when I got to see an F-15 in person on one of the US aircraft carriers (Constellation I think) back in the day. Pilot was absolutely chuffed I was so enamoured with his plane.
    F-15 was one of my favourite models to make when I was a kid (yes - I'm a girl who loved making aircraft models too) behind the F-14's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    I always thought he was an A. But he could be a C.

Absolutely beautiful planes up close. Amazing afterburners... I've got a picture of my head in one from when I got to see an F-15 in person on one of the US aircraft carriers (Constellation I think) back in the day. Pilot was absolutely chuffed I was so enamoured with his plane.
    F-15 was one of my favourite models to make when I was a kid (yes - I'm a girl who loved making aircraft models too) behind the F-14's.
    you sure it was an F15? they are not commonly seen on carriers. ditto re F14/F15... the new jet fighters just don't do it for me like the older ones...