Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G1 Autobot and Decepticon naming and faction insignia's

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, and canonically speaking the Autobot logo is Primus' face. However there's no in-canon explanation as to why Soundwave and Prowl's faces happen to resemble the faces of The Fallen and Primus respectively.
    The Last Autobot and Vector Prime also have Autobot faces. It's like when people get plastic surgery to look like famous people.

I had read about the idea of the insignias being based on transformer heads but dismissed it as something fans had made up

I would really like to get it from the horse's mouth (and not mach kick's )
    An interview from Bob Budiansky or Jim Shooter's (Marvel's Editor-in-Chief at the time) talking about how they came up with the concepts would be awesome. I wonder whether Bob borrowed/reworked some of editor Denis O'neil's ideas "that did not meet with Hasbro's expectations" to get to what part he played in the TF creation process all those years ago??

What ever you can dig up would be great paulbot
    I had spoken to Griffin about this and he suggested (if possible) contacting someone like Jim Sorenson - One of the authors from the recent "Transformers 30th Anniversary Collection" (TF Comic Books), as he has no doubt done a lot of research including interviewing a lot of the author's and editors etc of the time that were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    The Last Autobot and Vector Prime also have Autobot faces. It's like when people get plastic surgery to look like famous people.
    Speaking of Plastic Surgery - don't forget Tarn now that is a decepticon whose face is a sigil by choice hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I wonder if there'll be anything on this in the upcoming Transformers Legacy G1 artwork book?

I do like the variations they are using for the latest Botcon toys. The Autobot symbol with a sorta crown for the Knights, and the Decepticon symbol modified with some crossed blades below it for the Pirates. The Autobot symbol with the lines off each side for the Elite Guard was well done too.

I remember back when G2 came out, even as a teenager I got angry that they had changed the symbols, but then who knew how large the mythology would grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    I had read about the idea of the insignias being based on transformer heads but dismissed it as something fans had made up
    I think you should still dismiss it that way. I personally think that matching prowls and Soundwaves heads to the insignias is like trying to fins shapes in the clouds, if you look hard enough, squint hard enough and hold your head at just the right angle you will always find a similarity.

The designs of the insignias, while simple are very elegant, something which has stood by the brand for 30 years now. I too would love to hear the real inspiration for the original design.

The names of the factions, while probalby based on automobile and Deception, are also something I'd like to hear from Bob Budiansky or someone from that time about.

Questions perhaps for Botcon attendees to follow up if given the chance.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Yeah, but at least they're canonically explainable (same w/ Tarn).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I remember back when G2 came out, even as a teenager I got angry that they had changed the symbols, but then who knew how large the mythology would grow!
    Those symbols originated from late G1 though. G2 just carried them through. They are commonly referred to as "G2 symbols" among fans, but they are technically G1 symbols. G2 had no original faction symbols. Some G2 toys had the regular G1 symbols, while others had the late G1 symbols. Some had a combination of both; e.g. 1993 G2 Optimus Prime had regular G1 symbols on his shoulders, but the late G1 symbols tampographed on his leg with "Autobot" written alongside it.

Then there's G2 Jetfire... an Autobot who for some inexplicable reason sports factory-applied late G1 Decepticon logos! Perhaps he decided to switch back to being a 'Con.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Speaking of Plastic Surgery - don't forget Tarn now that is a decepticon whose face is a sigil by choice hehehe
    I really think thats what makes Tarn a great evil character.

Determined not to give up on this I have found a bunch of links on Seibertron.com relating to interviews or public appearances of Bob Budiansky that I have started to sift through. Surely someone has asked the same question in one of the interviews with him?
    If anyone is interested in joining the search, the link is here (there are numbers at the bottom of the page with more links):

http://www.seibertron.com/search.php...nsky&sa=Search

I did find out one piece of humorous info about Bob through what I have read so far. When he was coming up with names for the Transformers, he put forward the name "Highbeams" which apparently was quietly rejected by the female Hasbro representative he was presenting to. When he asked why she had to advise him it was slang for particular parts of the female body.

Sure, Budiansky wrote some of the most memorable characters, but it was the advertising agency Griffin Bacal that gave us the brands: The Transformers, Autobots, Decepticons and insignias

In 1983, Griffin Bacal were asked by Hasbro to adapt two Japanese toy lines, Diaclone and Micro Change, for the American market. Griffin Bacal suggested to merge the two into one single series, and Jay Bacal, Joe's son, suggested the name "The Transformers". Griffin Bacal also had the idea of making the robots the main characters of the series (the Diaclone backstory had portrayed them as piloted mecha) and make them sentient alien machine lifeforms. Lastly, Griffin Bacal divided the robots into two groups, "Autobots" (good) and "Decepticons" (evil) and designed faction logos for them, based on the heads of the robot toys that would later become known as Prowl and Soundwave, respectively.
    Last edited by Sinnertwin; 2nd April 2014 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Supplying Wiki Quote