Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Metrotitan

An easy to apply chrome finish is the holy grail for modelers. Here's a 10 year old, 17 page discussion on getting that finish.

Along with the Metrotitan face, I did some parts for my Fansproject not-Insecticons. I'll post a thread with some more detailed thoughts there, including WIP pics of the first attempt that went wrong. The results there actually looked pretty cool, but not the look I was after, so I did them over again.

I tried to find that tutorial on procustomizers.com and whaddya know? The website is now gone. It has a Facebook site and a Twitter feed but the website has disappeared and the links no longer work.
    Last edited by M-bot; 19th May 2014 at 11:29 AM.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Nice Chrome work on the face M-Bot, it seems easier to see the detail of than most pictures I've seen of the retail chromed version.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

So far, so snazzy!

I'm surprised that in some media somewhere, that someone didnt make Sunstreaker chrome his own face so he can see himself in his own reflection!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Was intending to post a thread with some Fansproject not-Insecticons chrome work that I did with the Alclad at the same time as Metrotitan's face, but despite the beautiful results and a good number of day's curing time, the Alclad started rubbing off quite easily during transformation. Absolutely terrified to touch Metrotitan's face now, at least until I can find an adequate gloss clear coat. Bugger!

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Rubbing off That sucks man. So if you get some form of gloss clear coat, you can in a sense protect it?

use the water based clear coat ...from alcad2 it call aqua clear gloss ...... and not the lacquer one as that will turn it dull silver

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    use the water based clear coat ...from alcad2 it call aqua clear gloss ...... and not the lacquer one as that will turn it dull silver
    Thanks I have the same problem

also forgot to mention let the chrome fully cure first... as in leave it alone for min off 2 day .....some people say a week... it very hard to do as im very impatient ,before you clear coat it ...then same with the water based clear ..that take ages to dry and cure 7 day !! .. before you touch it... that would be ideal for a perfect finish

A small update - One thing I'm finding so much harder doing Metrotitan compared to Metroplex is the difference in colours between the 2 characters - Case in point is the head, where we have red over black and white over red. It takes a good primer layer and many many thin coats of the colour, as well as a lot of patience. But the results have come out pretty good here.

Here is parts of the head, minus detailing which is to come...
    DSC_0712 by M-bot2011